Home

How to make players play like themselves - The ATD Guide

This is a discussion on How to make players play like themselves - The ATD Guide within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-19-2020, 03:20 PM   #25
MVP

OVR: 19
Re: How to make players play like themselves - The ATD Guide

Also, to make matters even dumber, 2K's playbook list doesn't even add up correctly.

I manually counted the plays from each category. Their main team screen says 27 plays, yet I came to 34.

Here's what the Listed plays are

Sixers Playbook
27 Total (-7)
8 Pick & Roll
2 Isolation
5 High Post
2 Cutter
0 Low Post
0 Midrange
0 Guard Post
7 Handoff (+1)
3 Three

The Grand total doesn't include Roll Man. Apparently one of those Roll Man plays is miscategorized as "Handoff", accounting for the difference.
http://youtube.com/real2krosters
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-19-2020, 05:19 PM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 0

Hey guys. I like you alls input here and I got some nice results, very simple:

- increase every player dish to open man proportionately
- Lower all isolation tendencies by about half. I think this was huge in ball distro
- Adjust touches to bring them closer together
- make sure 3pt wingers have play discipline high

I used most recent roster. I have HOF sliders only adjusted for speed, blocking shots, and jump shot D. Keep ATB baseline 50, let the players individual tendencies for attack, pull up, or pass dictate.

Examples: 7 cpu vs CPU 3s for Middleton. Most on Ante and Bledsoe kick outs. Same for Annouby and Powell TOR.
Old 04-20-2020, 07:25 AM   #27
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashidi
This is because you have two PNR plays assigned for him.

PNR Ball Handler is a conglomeration of P&R Point and P&R Wing. All you did is add the same plays twice by having both.

You're getting ahead of yourself. "P" stands for "Page", as it would in any book. Note the D-Pad indicators.
Thanks for clarification, I really was convinced "P" standed for priority!
Maybe I should start play the game a bit (not only watching ) to get a grip around these things

Quote:
When you set a playtype it is adding all the plays the team has of that type to the player's book. Priority is determining the order. You can Add/Remove plays from a team manually as you see fit, from the Playbook menu (the one before Assign Plays).
I knew about editing a Playbook. In one of previous posts I even described an experiment in which i removed ALL PLAYS from Sixers playbook except one.

The goal was to test under what conditions would that one play appear in gameplay and relation between its appearance to freelances.

I must say I still do dont understand the mechanics of underlying game structure to the full extent.

Currently it seems to me that FREELANCES are the core structure, and that each Freelance executes its own inbuilt plays!!

That would mean manually set plays in ROSTER EDITING area actually do not appear in the match itself (at least CPU vs CPU) no matter the priorities and whatnots.

This would make all the plays settings rather useless. Probably most users here could be pretty shocked by this "discovery".

Why and how have I come to this conclusion?
Well because of the experiment I was talking about:

=> I adjusted all the settings so the Simmons would get all the plays called for himself and get the maximum amount of touches. But only ONE PLAY was added in the whole Sixers playbook!

I put RUN PLAYS slider to 100 and still that onle single one play appeared very rarely or not at all?!?!

I think I should make a video about it to make things more clear, because its pretty complicated to write post about this stuff and also I have a feeling users of this forum have a tough time following my thoughts

Last edited by Vedreanu; 04-20-2020 at 07:29 AM.
Old 04-20-2020, 08:59 AM   #28
MVP

daveberg's Arena

OVR: 5

Most frustrating thing is the fact we can't select a teams' freelance plays when editing rosters outside of myleague. If I'm editing the roster in full, I should have FULL access to all players and team aspects.

Shouldn't have to pause them damn game everytime a match starts to change a teams freelance set ups - it's nonsense.

Incredibly difficult to also get classic teams to play in a specific manner in regards to mid range and post up play.

Even with sliders adjusted with post ups to the max, and some tendency tweaks, I still rarely see any stuff down low.
Old 04-20-2020, 11:57 AM   #29
Rookie

Ok, I made the video. I was editing it for more than an hour to make it viewer friendly, then the program just crashed and, of course, everything was lost.

Instead of going through all that again, I uploaded the video:

And added detailed descriptions with TIME CODES underneath.

I will paste the descriptions here aswell, but I will put a spoiler around them, bcs of the lenght.

Please someone comment this. I'd like to here any explanation.

Spoiler

Last edited by Vedreanu; 04-25-2020 at 03:54 PM.
Old 04-20-2020, 02:19 PM   #30
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveberg
Most frustrating thing is the fact we can't select a teams' freelance plays when editing rosters outside of myleague. If I'm editing the roster in full, I should have FULL access to all players and team aspects.

Shouldn't have to pause them damn game everytime a match starts to change a teams freelance set ups - it's nonsense.

Incredibly difficult to also get classic teams to play in a specific manner in regards to mid range and post up play.

Even with sliders adjusted with post ups to the max, and some tendency tweaks, I still rarely see any stuff down low.
I agree.
Its also frustrating that defensive settings cannot be applied in CPU vs CPU matches, at least I didnt succeed!

And also that some TENDENCY SLIDERS are broken, it seems to me.
What are those:

- "attack the basket" is a strong candidate
- "look for post players" is another one, according to my observations

The most frustrating part might be the total entropy caused by all the bloody sliders and tendencies. I am pretty sure a bunch of those cancel each other out or make each other behave unpredictable even to developers.

Another big frustration is the hilariously low amount of non-shooting fouls.
I tried raising all the related tendencies and sliders to get somewhat realistic results there, no luck.

On the other hand - if you want to see half or 2/3 the realistic number of fouls in a match, that means 90% of them would be shooting fouls, which leads to players like EMBIID having foul trouble in almost every match played against any decent inside player.

I simmed 5-6 matches of Phila vs Milwaukee, in neither Embiid played his "programmed" minutes bcs of foul trouble.

I must be fair and also state that many sliders DO ACTUALLY WORK.
- 3p slider is a good example, lower it to zero and nobody will shoot the bloody ball behind the arc!
But it doesnt work the opposite way
Raising it to 100 is a precondition to get anywhere NEAR the realistic amount of threes shot in modern game.

So yeah, A LOT of work for DEVS if they want a better product next year.

Last edited by Vedreanu; 04-20-2020 at 02:23 PM.
Old 04-20-2020, 06:15 PM   #31
Rookie

Ok, so its either me completely losing my mind, or AI is starting to take over the humanity by operation MIND****!

I tried once again the "experiment", but this time I put offensive playcalling to AUTO. Then I put ACE on only for offense.
Nothing. Everything was just the same.

Final resort was changing ALL FREELANCES to Philadelphia to default ones (Default, Freelance 1, 2 and some other).

Phila played exactly the same actions as with 4 previous Freelances

But you know what kills me the most?
After setting Simmons DISH tendency to 1, he still passes every bloody ball, he even passes most of the time when driving to the basket.

So would someone please explain WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON!?!?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-20-2020, 07:42 PM   #32
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedreanu
Ok, so its either me completely losing my mind, or AI is starting to take over the humanity by operation MIND****!

I tried once again the "experiment", but this time I put offensive playcalling to AUTO. Then I put ACE on only for offense.
Nothing. Everything was just the same.

Final resort was changing ALL FREELANCES to Philadelphia to default ones (Default, Freelance 1, 2 and some other).

Phila played exactly the same actions as with 4 previous Freelances

But you know what kills me the most?
After setting Simmons DISH tendency to 1, he still passes every bloody ball, he even passes most of the time when driving to the basket.

So would someone please explain WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON!?!?
I think the actual game sliders can cause problems...like if the shot success is set too low, the CPU will pass out of that situation often because it's looking for the best available shot according to the shot success sliders.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »