Home

NBA 2K21 Review - A 'Season Update' Should Have Been the Play Here

This is a discussion on NBA 2K21 Review - A 'Season Update' Should Have Been the Play Here within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-20-2020, 02:35 PM   #1
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40
NBA 2K21 Review - A 'Season Update' Should Have Been the Play Here

Now a couple weeks removed from the launch of NBA 2K21, it's fair to say we...

Written By: Joel Smith

Click here to view the article.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2020, 10:34 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
I don't understand why people seem to be okay with the aesthetics of the game. It's supposed to be the 2020-21 season and new uniforms weren't added for the teams that announced them. Players still have dated hairstyles and all of those old shoes are still taking up space in the shoe menus. Are those players with dated hairstyles gonna be that way on next gen? Hopefully we'll be able to use custom rosters in MyCareer and be able to edit the appearance of those awful, fake looking rookies with way to much gear and football numbers.*
We should be able to sell shoes back for slightly less VC, especially if the color way changes like the Jordan 11 Concorde that I have to make in the shoe creator every year and spend 10K VC on.
When you unlock jersey selection after 10 games or so, you should be able to change up your uniform like how it is in Quick Play.
And I better be able to load manage my 21 y/o rookie like he's Zion!*
Also, Miles Bridges still can't dunk!
Old 09-23-2020, 04:38 PM   #3
Rookie

I have to agree with you. I have been saying the same thing about Madden. At least, if you are going have a Season update, I can continue with my current player. I haven't been able to put up a hall of fame My player since 2k16. I would like them to have a season update and maybe even formulate a story mode that stems from having a player already in the NBA. Maybe a my player season 2 or a my player called the Big Ticket, where it starts you in a bidding war with teams. Go for the big money rebuild or the less money contenders. I can enjoy a good High School to pro story like 2K21. I'm just done with making it to the NBA every year. We get it, getting to the league is hard, but staying in the league is even harder. I think the player movement and smoothness of the gameplay is warranted the discussion of it not being just like 2k20. The gap between the 2 isn't a $59.99 difference. Especially when they still have identical player create a player faces, accessories (absent the headband wrap), hairstyles, player models, lack of tattoos, etc. The fact they give you great player model choices for my player but have not brought that over to create a player. Still wish I could use my "My Player" in the other modes. I would like to have my guy as a free agent in franchise mode or the main guy on my "My Team". I dig the My Neighborhood but can't help look at it as a missed opportunity. I would love to have that My Neighborhood feel as a single player addition to My Player that gives your guy something to do as an individual experience. Sign those contracts and get deals to increase the world around you. Why can't I buy some of those store fronts that may give me a single player experience. Buy a house with a court in the backyard. By a sports car to cruise a living world with NPC's that intereact with you. Little GTA style in a sense. They had a football before, why can't I play some football or pickup ball at the park without going online. Online should be its own world, not something forced upon us. The last tropical storm knocked out my internet service but not my power for 4 days. No My player love for me. A season update format like AFL and other games is a great option. Especially if nothing major is going on under the hood. Excellent article. I am glad there are other people in the world with a strong voice to speak out on these types of social issues. A new great sports game is what the world needs right now. The first Presidential candidate that promises to bring 2K football back or force NBA 2K to give us new tats for our create a player, gets my vote on election night.
Old 09-23-2020, 09:03 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 1
I agree with most of this, but I think a lot more could be said on shooting.

They introduced aiming, then changed it which messed up and discouraged of the people who were trying to give it a chance.* Maybe it's a park thing with people shooting with aiming, but in 300 games of rec and another 10 pro-am, and I've never seen an effective aim shooter, high or low 3 point rating.* The fadeaways you mention are rampant among button shooters.* Basically no one is using aiming.

On top of that, the reviewer doesn't really address the ridiculously high rates that good shooters are getting on 3 pointers.* Maybe because he's using a playmaking shot creator which is the most exploited build in the game.* Also not mentioned is the fact that currently that build, plus two big builds, paint beast and glass cleaning finisher,* make up over of the myplayers in the game.

The lack of variety is driven by two factors.* One, high shooters shoot such a higher percentage than those with 'average ratings (70-80) that its simply an imperative that all but the most skilled players take those shooting builds.* We are talking about for a 75 rating + badges to for a 90+badges.* At the other end for big men, any kind of standing layup, dunk or post shot is completely nerfed by a decent defensive player.* So the inside game consists of rebound/miss/rebound/miss/rebound/miss/rebound/make sequences dominated by those two builds.
Old 09-24-2020, 02:31 PM   #5
Rookie

SocaWarrior13's Arena

Re: NBA 2K21 Review - A 'Season Update' Should Have Been the Play Here

We definitely didn't get a lot of updated aesthetics due to Covid. The uncertainty of how the 2020-21 will go is the leading factor here...the NBA still hasn't decided on a firm date for the Combine, the NBA Draft or a start date to next season. I'm sure the 2K team will update those things when the new season starts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwillis81
I don't understand why people seem to be okay with the aesthetics of the game. It's supposed to be the 2020-21 season and new uniforms weren't added for the teams that announced them. Players still have dated hairstyles and all of those old shoes are still taking up space in the shoe menus. Are those players with dated hairstyles gonna be that way on next gen? Hopefully we'll be able to use custom rosters in MyCareer and be able to edit the appearance of those awful, fake looking rookies with way to much gear and football numbers.*
We should be able to sell shoes back for slightly less VC, especially if the color way changes like the Jordan 11 Concorde that I have to make in the shoe creator every year and spend 10K VC on.
When you unlock jersey selection after 10 games or so, you should be able to change up your uniform like how it is in Quick Play.
And I better be able to load manage my 21 y/o rookie like he's Zion!*
Also, Miles Bridges still can't dunk!
Sent from my SM-G986W using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2020, 02:38 PM   #6
Rookie

SocaWarrior13's Arena

Re: NBA 2K21 Review - A 'Season Update' Should Have Been the Play Here

I didn't speak to the high rate that shooting builds are getting because, based off Mike Wang's own words, that's what is supposed to happen. Shooters should be able to shoot at a higher percentage as I mentioned in the article, albeit not at a 90% clip...even the best shooters in the NBA, especially from 3, shoot in MAYBE the 42-47% range. Most definitely agree with you on the Play Shot, Paint Beast and Glass Locks being the meta right now. Much worse than last year to boot. I made a Play Shot with the main intention of running point with my friends when we were going to step into the Rec/Pro-Am. I didn't realize it'd be as OP as it currently is. I think a part of the problem is the imbalance between offense and defense, as well as the imbalance of the badges on offense and defense. We STILL haven't gotten patch 2 but I can only imagine a nerf coming down the pipes to kill the metas and create more "balance", which will cause a whole new wave of complaints from the community for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erithtotl
I agree with most of this, but I think a lot more could be said on shooting.

They introduced aiming, then changed it which messed up and discouraged of the people who were trying to give it a chance.* Maybe it's a park thing with people shooting with aiming, but in 300 games of rec and another 10 pro-am, and I've never seen an effective aim shooter, high or low 3 point rating.* The fadeaways you mention are rampant among button shooters.* Basically no one is using aiming.

On top of that, the reviewer doesn't really address the ridiculously high rates that good shooters are getting on 3 pointers.* Maybe because he's using a playmaking shot creator which is the most exploited build in the game.* Also not mentioned is the fact that currently that build, plus two big builds, paint beast and glass cleaning finisher,* make up over of the myplayers in the game.

The lack of variety is driven by two factors.* One, high shooters shoot such a higher percentage than those with 'average ratings (70-80) that its simply an imperative that all but the most skilled players take those shooting builds.* We are talking about for a 75 rating + badges to for a 90+badges.* At the other end for big men, any kind of standing layup, dunk or post shot is completely nerfed by a decent defensive player.* So the inside game consists of rebound/miss/rebound/miss/rebound/miss/rebound/make sequences dominated by those two builds.
Sent from my SM-G986W using Operation Sports mobile app

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »