Home

Nba 2k21 patch 1.07 now out on ps4

This is a discussion on Nba 2k21 patch 1.07 now out on ps4 within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-05-2021, 01:33 PM   #17
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Nba 2k21 patch 1.07 now out on ps4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk31
I mean doesnt 2k have guys employed specifically for the game art department?

There is ONE single guy over at NLSC who updated nearly every available court himself. Not many modders working together. ONE. GUY.
Truthfully, I don't understand how that works for game development. Let's take rosters for instance. I feel like 1-3 guys making $13 - $18/HR could handle all roster-related things for a standard 8 hour M-F shift. I could be very well over-simplifying the task, but I REALLY don't see how it could be so complicated.
Old 01-05-2021, 02:57 PM   #18
Rookie

kriegz's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76
Truthfully, I don't understand how that works for game development. Let's take rosters for instance. I feel like 1-3 guys making $13 - $18/HR could handle all roster-related things for a standard 8 hour M-F shift. I could be very well over-simplifying the task, but I REALLY don't see how it could be so complicated.

Every sports site has updated 2021 player portraits for the new season but we'll but lucky not to have Al Horford in a Sixers jersey in 2k22.
Old 01-05-2021, 05:28 PM   #19
Pro

vetmin's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFgGoatLikesHawks
Also 2K has more important things to do like think up ways for us to pay more VC and if they should extend Deep Threes badge to 50 ft. Instead of modding courts they're designing virtual Tshirts to sell for 30K VC or whatever lmao
You joke, but priorities in any business will always be based on where the $$$ is.

Quote:
I mean doesnt 2k have guys employed specifically for the game art department?
Sure, but game art = a million different things. I'm sure there's never any shortage of crap for them to do, it's all a matter of priorities.

Purely anecdotal, but in my case, I post here regularly, obsess over sliders, tendencies, sim stats, etc., and by most measures I'm totally into sim-style 2K (never touched Park, MT, etc.) and even I frankly don't care much about updated courts, except where they're blatantly out of date in some factual way (like the Cavs 50th Anniversary one). I have to think that if even I don't care about a lot of this stuff, your average swag-buying, VC-addicted Park player is completely oblivious. Not saying it's wrong to notice or care, but again, it's all priorities.

Quote:
There is ONE single guy over at NLSC who updated nearly every available court himself. Not many modders working together. ONE. GUY.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLSmak
Licensing is prol an issue but u think these guys would not take ten bucks an hour to mod official 2k? Or w e.
I think licensing is a major factor here. The work that modders do is phenomenal, but ultimately it's all bootleg, and you just can't go rogue like that on an official product with official licensing agreements with major organizations that are fiercely protective of their IP. The beauty of modding is that Joe Schmoe Modder can see Steph Curry in braids or a new court and whip up something really nice that very day, completely bypassing all the hoops you have to jump through to do it by the book.

The way it works when you're actually beholden to licensing agreements, etc. is something like: You want to make the new Hawks court, so you email Sheila (your liaison at the Hawks) for the official multimedia assets that you're legally required to use, but Sheila is always late checking her emails, so you don't hear back for a few days, then you follow up and get her out of office, she just left on vacation for two weeks and the out-of-office reply says to direct any messages to her boss, but her boss gets your email and thinks "Ugh, I'm too busy with this Trae Young Sports Illustrated cover story for this crap, Sheila can deal with it when she gets back", so you don't hear anything from them but set a reminder to check in with Sheila when she's supposed to be back, and a couple weeks later you get the reminder, but you can't bother with Sheila right now because your boss has you working overtime on New Year's decorations for Park and also needs a mock-up of the new Super-Swaggity-Swag vending machine that they want to roll out on Park in a couple months, so your reminder sits there in your email -- starred in a list of five other starred reminders -- while some modder on his day off finished making the court himself a couple hours after your original email to Sheila.

I have no special insight into the way things run at 2K, but that's just working life in general. I'm not saying 2K is blameless in the way they organize things, and I have no idea when courts were unveiled by the NBA or anything about that (since as I said, I don't care), it could be that 2K has indeed totally botched the entire thing, but my only objection was to the line of reasoning that goes: "See how quick this modder did it? 2K should be able to do that!" It just doesn't work like that.
Old 01-06-2021, 12:05 AM   #20
MVP

dwayne12345's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76

This is all about the managers. The artists don't create their queues in Jira or whatever team management software 2k uses.

The managers are telling the artists what they need to be fixing/updating by what date. So if an artist spends all their time updating all the courts but they're queue requires them to have finished designing the menu design for 2k22 by whatever date, then that's not a good look for that employee (and messes up the dev pipeline).

NLSC modders don't have manager cues holding them back. They just do what they think will make the game dope.

Last edited by dwayne12345; 01-06-2021 at 01:12 AM. Reason: QUEUEEEEEE
Old 01-06-2021, 12:31 AM   #21
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayne12345
This is all about the managers. The artists don't create their cues in Jira or whatever team management software 2k uses.

The managers are telling the artists what they need to be fixing/updating by what date. So if an artist spends all their time updating all the courts but they're cue requires them to have finished designing the menu design for 2k22 by whatever date, then that's not a good look for that employee (and messes up the dev pipeline).

NLSC modders don't have manager cues holding them back. They just do what they think will make the game dope.
Sorry to nitpick but the word I believe you are trying to use is queue.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-06-2021, 01:11 AM   #22
MVP

dwayne12345's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDominator273
Sorry to nitpick but the word I believe you are trying to use is queue.

lol Thank you.

Now I hope 2k fixed the MyLeague stats history glitch...
Old 01-06-2021, 01:59 AM   #23
Banned

TheFgGoatLikesHawks's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetmin
You joke, but priorities in any business will always be based on where the $$$ is.
Yeah it was half joke half reality of where 2K is at with their priorities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetmin

https://twitter.com/CarlosxcStory/st...69217135742978
Sure, but game art = a million different things. I'm sure there's never any shortage of crap for them to do, it's all a matter of priorities.

Purely anecdotal, but in my case, I post here regularly, obsess over sliders, tendencies, sim stats, etc., and by most measures I'm totally into sim-style 2K (never touched Park, MT, etc.) and even I frankly don't care much about updated courts, except where they're blatantly out of date in some factual way (like the Cavs 50th Anniversary one). I have to think that if even I don't care about a lot of this stuff, your average swag-buying, VC-addicted Park player is completely oblivious. Not saying it's wrong to notice or care, but again, it's all priorities.

I think licensing is a major factor here. The work that modders do is phenomenal, but ultimately it's all bootleg, and you just can't go rogue like that on an official product with official licensing agreements with major organizations that are fiercely protective of their IP. The beauty of modding is that Joe Schmoe Modder can see Steph Curry in braids or a new court and whip up something really nice that very day, completely bypassing all the hoops you have to jump through to do it by the book.

The way it works when you're actually beholden to licensing agreements, etc. is something like: You want to make the new Hawks court, so you email Sheila (your liaison at the Hawks) for the official multimedia assets that you're legally required to use, but Sheila is always late checking her emails, so you don't hear back for a few days, then you follow up and get her out of office, she just left on vacation for two weeks and the out-of-office reply says to direct any messages to her boss, but her boss gets your email and thinks "Ugh, I'm too busy with this Trae Young Sports Illustrated cover story for this crap, Sheila can deal with it when she gets back", so you don't hear anything from them but set a reminder to check in with Sheila when she's supposed to be back, and a couple weeks later you get the reminder, but you can't bother with Sheila right now because your boss has you working overtime on New Year's decorations for Park and also needs a mock-up of the new Super-Swaggity-Swag vending machine that they want to roll out on Park in a couple months, so your reminder sits there in your email -- starred in a list of five other starred reminders -- while some modder on his day off finished making the court himself a couple hours after your original email to Sheila.

I have no special insight into the way things run at 2K, but that's just working life in general. I'm not saying 2K is blameless in the way they organize things, and I have no idea when courts were unveiled by the NBA or anything about that (since as I said, I don't care), it could be that 2K has indeed totally botched the entire thing, but my only objection was to the line of reasoning that goes: "See how quick this modder did it? 2K should be able to do that!" It just doesn't work like that.
Sheila needs to be fired lmao

2K now = old EA. That's great, make yo money 2K, count that money, but while you slip on things that matter (Gameplay), someone else is dreaming up ways to beat you. The NBA Live reboot should go full out sim mode. How ironic would that be. 2K may not know, but there's this thing called having the 'moral authority', authenticity, trust... and it matters when it comes to sales and marketing. So even though 2K is popular and rich right now, where will they be 3, 5, 10 yrs from now, after new technology comes along and they're still prioritizing how to squeeze more VC out of the consumer. People/companies become what they prioritize, and 2K is on the wrong side of it.
Old 01-06-2021, 02:08 AM   #24
Banned

TheFgGoatLikesHawks's Arena

This gameplay isn't next-gen. Next-gen gameplay was supposed to be better. If anything, the gameplay balance is 10x worse. 2K thinks they're the top dawg but we've had the same gameplay animations for 4+ yrs(?), same 5out meta, same bs. No one in the mainstream has noticed because 1) they don't know the difference between arcade and sim and what should be what 2) everyone too busy "grinding". The critics have been too soft on 2K. They haven't on the cash grab pay to win stuff, but on the gameplay it's overrated. We've been playing the same game for years. Mike Wang changes a shot meter (yay) or they add themes or a bigger themes. But how bout VR? First person mode? More micro-animations and body control instead of canned animations where everyone's picking the same ones? 2K hasn't captured the details of gameplay that can be done and they haven't innovated the gameplay. If anything, it's gotten worse because of the lowered skill gap and terrible gameplay balance.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »