Home

Player Potentials are broken and have been all year

This is a discussion on Player Potentials are broken and have been all year within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-24-2021, 10:18 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
Player Potentials are broken and have been all year

In MyLeagues, rookies will enter with a 90 potential, have a great year, and at the end of the season their potentials drop to what their current overall is.

I understand they tried to implement a boom bust thing, but I’m only seeing busts. The only people that seemingly boom are the random I drafted players that go to the G league and come out with 99 3 point ratings 99 speed and a 99 steal rating.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-26-2021, 05:17 PM   #2
Pro

Re: Player Potentials are broken and have been all year

After trying several slider sets and my own I can say this truly ruins MyLeague after a few years.

Besides the terrible team building logic and other issues,

8 years into the MyLeague there are hardly any top players ovr wise, but the league is filled with SG/SFs with 99 3 point ratings 99 on ball defensive ratings 90 speed and 90 dunk, all hover around 86 overall,

Then you get Louis king and Jaylen Hoard who hack the boom bust system and become 92 overalls.

If a feature isn’t working properly why can we not remove it? Feel like the boom bust was a negative
Old 03-27-2021, 01:28 PM   #3
MVP

jk31's Arena

myleague has been a very shallow experience for years... its hardly any fun to Play this Mode through several years. the only way to make it somewhat enjoyable is by 30 Team control and by editing players all the time....
Old 03-28-2021, 12:02 AM   #4
Rookie

nflman2033's Arena

OVR: 1

Yeah, like other sports titles, they are investing all their time and resources on MyTeam. These card modes have pretty much killed the franchise modes of all sports games.
Old 03-29-2021, 03:03 AM   #5
Banned

Housh123's Arena

This has been gamings issue for a long time. There arent any generational players in the draft.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-13-2021, 06:52 PM   #6
Rookie

Random dudes from the G-league turning into stars has been a thing for a while, and it's always felt like too much.

The thing with guys not hitting their POT is definitely new to me though (last played 2k19 before this). There seems to be a combination of things, it seems like the peak start/ peak end values have a much higher chance to be really terrible, and injuries have much worse permanent damage to ratings.

Honestly I think it's better than before where a high potential guy was essentially guaranteed to always hit it, but you really need to tune draft classes with the new system in mind. I'm pumping way more 90+ guys into classes now under the assumption most won't hit their max.
Old 04-14-2021, 09:56 AM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimlessgun
Random dudes from the G-league turning into stars has been a thing for a while, and it's always felt like too much.

The thing with guys not hitting their POT is definitely new to me though (last played 2k19 before this). There seems to be a combination of things, it seems like the peak start/ peak end values have a much higher chance to be really terrible, and injuries have much worse permanent damage to ratings.

Honestly I think it's better than before where a high potential guy was essentially guaranteed to always hit it, but you really need to tune draft classes with the new system in mind. I'm pumping way more 90+ guys into classes now under the assumption most won't hit their max.

It has always been a thing but this year something is off. For me no matter what update version the roster is, or if it’s a custom roster, Louis King will always become a 90 or close to it depending on my regression or progression sliders regardless of his potentials and everything, there’s 1 other guy as well but I can’t remember off top.

On the other hand, created players and real young players with 90+ potential, peak age at 27, legendary work ethic, a great year performance wise etc, will only go up the amount a regular one year progression would be, but at the end of player progression, whatever that overall is will be their new cap.

I’ve now resorted to checking the stats at the end of the year every year and adjusting potentials based on how the improved or performed, which is annoying to do because it’s long and sometimes I might miss one.

Honestly I think in previous games, injuries would prevent someone from meeting their true potential anyways if they had too many injuries, and to me even though it took a lot, it worked better like that
Old 04-17-2021, 03:48 PM   #8
Rookie

m29a's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by nflman2033
Yeah, like other sports titles, they are investing all their time and resources on MyTeam. These card modes have pretty much killed the franchise modes of all sports games.
I mean, they're doing that because that mode often has the most players by far (and has likely contributed to the huge momentum in sales the series has had in the past few years too).

Franchise definitely hasn't been killed, it just receives considerably less attention. I'd argue that the 2K franchise has become too complex since a few years ago and has feature bloat. As a result, without that full attention to keep things polished, there are a myriad of bugs/little issues surrounding the mode. I never commit to the mode because I get sick of managing it and having to adjust things which takes too much time. I'd rather just stick to quick match vs the AI.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »