Home

On ball or off ball defense? What is the consensus?

This is a discussion on On ball or off ball defense? What is the consensus? within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 10-21-2009, 12:56 PM   #9
Rookie

drewbaby1414's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: On ball or off ball defense? What is the consensus?

Yeah, I am thinking about running off ball defense to get more blocks
Old 10-21-2009, 02:33 PM   #10
Pro

OVR: 10

When I play ranked games, I play both off-ball and onball

Lead pass + standing dunk= deadly
Old 10-21-2009, 02:39 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 15

I mainly play off-ball and guard the best player on the court, trying a little to get my steals in. If he gets the ball then i guess it's time to go to work.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-21-2009, 08:45 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 3

Off-topic, I don't care much about record (I believe ranked is messed up right now anyway) but I'll typically watch how my opponent plays and if I see he plays off ball in every situation I basically make my guy chase him around the court. Example, pass it to every guy he switches to and just continue pressing into him.

It amuses me.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:28 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 4

It's sad to even type this, but you need to get a sense for the brokenness of this game; ie, feel when your players are going to illogically collapse or switch.

Every possession, I have to manually step in and icon switch to not allow my guards to radically collapse into the lane, leaving their men wide open.

I'm primarily switching from my PF to guard paint-cheese and my defenders on the perimeter from leaving their men to give up a wide open 3. I play very little on-ball simply because your CPU defense burns you 9/10.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:07 AM   #14
Pro

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIZDRAVER
It's sad to even type this, but you need to get a sense for the brokenness of this game; ie, feel when your players are going to illogically collapse or switch.

Every possession, I have to manually step in and icon switch to not allow my guards to radically collapse into the lane, leaving their men wide open.

I'm primarily switching from my PF to guard paint-cheese and my defenders on the perimeter from leaving their men to give up a wide open 3. I play very little on-ball simply because your CPU defense burns you 9/10.

Maybe it was designed this way. I icon switch on offense, especially if someone is wide open. I like to know who I'm passing to. So on defense I don't mind controlling my player to avoid/fightover a screen off the ball. Or taking control of my big man off the ball to defend the pick and roll and switching back to the ball handler. Why do so many ppl have a problem with being so active(manually) involved when it comes to the defensive side of the ball. I find a lot of ppl want to control all 5 players on offense, but complain when they have to do it on defense. I don't get it. I don't mind that the CPU is not babysitting me on defense consistently. Keeps into the game on both sides of the ball.

Last edited by magicman32; 10-22-2009 at 12:19 AM.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:46 AM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 1

I wish on ball defense wasn't so hard in this game. I don't know if it's just me but it's way too hard to guard perimeter players one on one. So, I usually play off the ball. Also, what the heck, am I a bad rebounder even in videogames? No matter how good my position is I give up a ton of rebounds to the guy BEHIND my player. Sometimes my timing is off, but damn...Hopefully the patch fixes that. But, I usually go off the ball. Also, chase-down blocks are almost non-existent, they happen, but it's not an actual chase-down animation.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »