Home

Tips counting as rebounds?

This is a discussion on Tips counting as rebounds? within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-03-2010, 08:20 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: Tips counting as rebounds?

http://www.operationsports.com/vBull...als-going.html
Old 11-03-2010, 09:10 PM   #10
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boge
The rule, and as is for steals as well, is if it's a controlled intentional tip or deflection, the person that initiated the deflection or tip out gets credit for the rebound of steal. I'm tired of people not knowing how this works for real and 2K even has it wrong in their game with steals.

"Havlicek steals!!" If you watch, Havlicek deflects the ball back to his teammate and got credit for the steal. That's how it's supposed to work.

This rule is really subjective....I've seen it called both ways.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:51 PM   #11
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9
This rule is really subjective....I've seen it called both ways.
Not to cause a stir, as I suppose there's always room to say "Well I'm not sure Ben (Wallace) meant to tip the ball back out to a teammate", but 99% of the time NBA scorekeepers track the steals and rebounds statistic accurately, and that is giving the rebound to the guy who tips it in a controlled manner (Wallace had a significant chunk of his boards from this tactic) and steals being awarded to those who initiate the turnover with a poke away or tip.

In the LeBron situation, of which there is a video provided in either the link posted by Boge or in the other thread on this ruling, there was the aforementioned moment when LeBron had that falling out of bounds carom. It has been suggested that was the rebound that was taken away, but that is not the case. The rebound taken from LeBron in the New York game came on a rebound that was bobbled and awkwardly shuffled to James from the hands of none other than Ben Wallace. This rebound was originally given to LBJ before it was decided that Ben had essentially tipped or directed the ball to his teammate, thus earning the rebound for himself.

A lot of us are wired (perhaps via basketball video games) that there's no way the steal and rebound isn't always given to the guy who ends up with the ball, but that is indeed the official ruling. Anyone varying on their interpretation (purposely and knowingly giving steals only to those who ultimately end up with the ball) are likely working on an amateur level and are not professional scorekeepers. This is not to say amateur levels do not also abide by these same rulings. Instead, it is just much more likely that amateur scorekeepers will not be keen to the official rulings in these instances.

Last edited by VDusen04; 11-03-2010 at 10:57 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-04-2010, 09:34 AM   #12
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

Thats the thing...I knew what rebound they had in question. But I was talking about another rebound during the same game. In which LeBron does the samething (that Ben Wallace did) But they didn't give the rebound to LeBron James....They give it to Ben Wallace. Its been mention in a few articles since that situation happen. Its a totally different quarter. I don't remember exactly. But let me see if I find the info.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:57 PM   #13
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9
Thats the thing...I knew what rebound they had in question. But I was talking about another rebound during the same game. In which LeBron does the samething (that Ben Wallace did) But they didn't give the rebound to LeBron James....They give it to Ben Wallace. Its been mention in a few articles since that situation happen. Its a totally different quarter. I don't remember exactly. But let me see if I find the info.
I can say with relative certainty (though not absolute) that the rebound where LeBron does the same thing as Ben (grabs/directs it to a teammate) occurs at the 10:10 mark of the video below. In this case, the rebound was indeed credited to LeBron. At the time that was LeBron's 10th rebound. Eventually, the rebound before that one (shown in the 2nd clip) was taken away.

LeBron's Rebound That Was Retained (10:10 mark)

LeBron's Rebound That Was Later Taken Away

Article mentioning the rebounds in question, including the one that remained credited to James: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3889674

Last edited by VDusen04; 11-04-2010 at 12:59 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:09 PM   #14
Rookie

Captain_Crazzzy's Arena

OVR: 1

in My Player I play as a rebounding center who has a ton of tips, never once had one count as a rebound.

unless I tipped it to myself
Old 11-04-2010, 01:42 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Crazzzy
in My Player I play as a rebounding center who has a ton of tips, never once had one count as a rebound.

unless I tipped it to myself
Weird. In myplayer, i don't think I've ever tipped it without getting a rebound. And anytime my defensive assignment tips it, I get hit the "allow o-rebound". I'll definitely start paying attention where the ball goes after it's been tipped.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-04-2010, 03:27 PM   #16
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANDusen 04
I can say with relative certainty (though not absolute) that the rebound where LeBron does the same thing as Ben (grabs/directs it to a teammate) occurs at the 10:10 mark of the video below. In this case, the rebound was indeed credited to LeBron. At the time that was LeBron's 10th rebound. Eventually, the rebound before that one (shown in the 2nd clip) was taken away.

LeBron's Rebound That Was Retained (10:10 mark)

LeBron's Rebound That Was Later Taken Away

Article mentioning the rebounds in question, including the one that remained credited to James: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3889674
There is another article out there. I just can't remember where I saw it. But basically talks about another rebound situation in this game where Wallace I think is credit with the rebound.....

Oh wait a minute now its hitting me. Now I remember!... It wasn't that someone else was credit with the rebound. It was that LeBron went up for the rebound. Grab it. Came down on 2 feet. But David Lee came over and poked it out of bounds. Even though LeBron James clearly has the rebound. But it is poked out of his hand way after the fact that he established possession of the ball. I don't know if there is any youtube video on this. But I have the full game on my PS3. I've seen a few times now.

But the above has nothing to do with what we are talking about. Sorry....lol

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »