Home

What should Blake Griffin be rated?

This is a discussion on What should Blake Griffin be rated? within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-21-2011, 05:26 AM   #57
Banned

StickeeGreen's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: What should Blake Griffin be rated?

Well...I don't know about his overall, but his dunk should be 95 and his vertical should be 99...
Old 01-21-2011, 07:35 AM   #58
Pro

Brew's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Po Pimp
I could've sworn Shaq averaged 23 and 14 and almost 4 blocks as a rookie. Even Iverson averaged almost 24 points with over 7 assists (and a rookie record of 4 consecutive 40-point games and even a 50 point game).
Hollinger was making this statement according to PER(Player Efficiency Rating) not just overall season stats. Here is the article:

Normally at this time of year, I might write a column that compares the various Rookie of the Year candidates in order to help sort out a tight race.

Uh, not this year.

Blake Griffin has run away with that honor, with Monday night's 47-point outburst against the Pacers serving as the exclamation point on what's almost certain to be a unanimous vote. (Unfortunately, we're required to say "almost" given the long history of moron homer votes that have kept other obvious winners from unanimity).

Griffin is blowing away the competition so badly that he has a seven-point player efficiency rating lead on his closest rookie rival, Washington's John Wall; Griffin's estimated wins added (EWA) is greater than that of his five closest rivals combined. Overall, he ranks 14th in the NBA in PER and, in spite of his team's awful record, seems a near-lock to make the All-Star team. That's through half a season of work, but given that most rookies see their numbers improve in the second half of their first season, he's likely to move up the charts further.

Sunday's explosion added to his massive list of superlatives, while placing him in some rather select company. According to Elias, Griffin's point total was the most this season. His 19-of-24 shooting, for 79.2 percent, was the best percentage by a rookie taking at least 20 shots in more than a quarter center (Hakeem Olajuwon shot 18-of-22 on Dec. 6, 1984). He joined Shaquille O'Neal as the only rookies in the last quarter century to have a 45-10 game, and joined Michael Jordan and Rick Barry as the only rooks to have at least 47 points and 14 rebounds in the same game.

Griffin is 12th in scoring, fourth in rebounding, and has an amazing streak of 27 straight double-doubles. He's been so good that the Clippers have become a must-see team in spite of the fact that they're 10 games under .500 and, having played more home games and fewer road games than any team in the league, are likely to slip even lower.

So there's no Rookie of the Year race to analyze. Instead, we're left with a more historic question: Is he having one of the best rookie years ever? And if so, where does it rank?
Great recent rookie seasons, pace-adjusted to 2010-11

PAP40=Pace-adjusted points per 40 minutes; PAR40=Pace-adjusted rebounds per 40 minutes; PAA40=Pace-adjusted assists per 40 minutes
PlayerPAP40PAR40PAA40PER
David Robinson, 1989-9024.912.32.126.3
Michael Jordan, 1984-8527.46.35.725.8
Blake Griffin, 2010-1124.113.73.623.3
Shaquille O'Neal, 1992-9323.714.01.923.2
Terry Cummings, 1982-8323.610.62.522.8
Tim Duncan, 1997-9822.612.82.922.6
Chris Paul, 2005-0618.65.99.022.1
Chris Webber, 1993-9420.410.64.221.7
Hakeem Olajuwon, 1984-8521.012.11.421.1
Alonzo Mourning, 1992-9322.911.21.120.8
Elton Brand, 1999-0022.511.22.120.6
Magic Johnson, 1979-8017.67.67.220.6
Larry Bird, 1979-8021.310.44.520.5

To answer that question, I went to the archives. As it turns out, Griffin's rookie year (so far) isn't the best in history … I'd say Wilt Chamberlain has that pretty safely salted away by jumping out of the gate with a 37.6-27.0 campaign in 1959-60.

Nonetheless, it's still pretty amazing. The first thing one notices is the players he's being compared to -- Griffin is on a trajectory that few have approached, and rookies of this quality virtually always turn into superstars. For instance, Griffin is on pace to be the seventh rookie to average more than 22 points and 12 rebounds in a season; five of the other six are in the Hall of Fame and the sixth, Shaquille O'Neal, is a mortal lock to join them.

Of course, most of the great rookie seasons happened in the 1950s and 1960s, when (a) players rocketed into the league with four years of college experience, and (b) the college game was a better learning ground because everybody else stayed four years too. Griffin, for instance, won't be touching Wilt's rookie numbers, or the Big O's near triple-double campaign of 30.5-10.1-9.7 in 1960-61.

In the past four decades or so, however, players have routinely left school early and taken more lumps as NBA rookies. In that light, Griffin's rookie season seems even better. Only two rookies in the past 40 years have exceeded Griffin's current 23.26 PER, and one of them was a 24-year-old David Robinson. The other was a fairly decent player by the name of Michael Jordan.

Everybody else takes a back seat to Griffin. EVERYBODY. Shaq, Duncan, Magic, Bird -- no dice, fellas. The comparison of Griffin to other dominant big men of recent vintage is particularly noteworthy. Once we adjust for pace and minutes, as I've done in the chart, his rookie season seems completely in place next to those of Robinson, Duncan, Shaq, and Olajuwon. And in one respect (his passing ability) he's already far beyond them and nearly into Larry Bird/Chris Webber territory.

The other thing you'll notice from the chart, again, is the quality of the comparables. Of the other 12 best rookies in the past three decades, all but two are either in the Hall of Fame or well on their way. We'll try really hard to ignore the fact that the two exceptions both played for the Clippers.

Keep in mind, too, that we're comparing Griffin's half-year numbers against the other player's full-year numbers. But Griffin is still ramping up -- his scoring, rebounding and assist numbers have improved dramatically every month. Griffin averaged only 20.9 points and 11.7 boards in November; in January he's at 27.6 and 14.4. At this rate, his April numbers are going to be the stuff of video games.

Sum it all up and we're left with only one conclusion: Griffin isn't just another Rookie of the Year. He's, most likely, a superduperstar. Basically, his career represents the collision of two trends that have had few, if any, exceptions: The first, that players who play this well this early virtually always become all-time greats, and the second, that the Clippers are cursed. L.A.'s "other" team will have its fingers crossed that the first trend can overcome the second.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:25 AM   #59
Pro

Brew's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord meth
LMFAO!!! This thread made me laugh so hard lol
Goodness folks lol
Are we all at least "mature" enough to realize this is just the internet??
People getting all bent out of shape like someone said he was garbage in real life or some shizz...
I never realized how seriously some people take something as insignificant as MUTHA'FLIPPING SIM STATS!!!!

Let me repeat that...not in-game performance, but SIMULATION STATS (as in Im not even playing as him, I just want his stats to look nice on my screen)

ROFL!
I know man this shizz is so funny haha! ROFL! LMAO! HAHAHA!!!
I dont know how he can sleep at night!!
More people should make "mature" post like yours!!
Old 01-21-2011, 06:26 PM   #60
Banned

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew
Hollinger was making this statement according to PER(Player Efficiency Rating) not just overall season stats. Here is the article:

Normally at this time of year, I might write a column that compares the various Rookie of the Year candidates in order to help sort out a tight race.

Uh, not this year.

Blake Griffin has run away with that honor, with Monday night's 47-point outburst against the Pacers serving as the exclamation point on what's almost certain to be a unanimous vote. (Unfortunately, we're required to say "almost" given the long history of moron homer votes that have kept other obvious winners from unanimity).

Griffin is blowing away the competition so badly that he has a seven-point player efficiency rating lead on his closest rookie rival, Washington's John Wall; Griffin's estimated wins added (EWA) is greater than that of his five closest rivals combined. Overall, he ranks 14th in the NBA in PER and, in spite of his team's awful record, seems a near-lock to make the All-Star team. That's through half a season of work, but given that most rookies see their numbers improve in the second half of their first season, he's likely to move up the charts further.

Sunday's explosion added to his massive list of superlatives, while placing him in some rather select company. According to Elias, Griffin's point total was the most this season. His 19-of-24 shooting, for 79.2 percent, was the best percentage by a rookie taking at least 20 shots in more than a quarter center (Hakeem Olajuwon shot 18-of-22 on Dec. 6, 1984). He joined Shaquille O'Neal as the only rookies in the last quarter century to have a 45-10 game, and joined Michael Jordan and Rick Barry as the only rooks to have at least 47 points and 14 rebounds in the same game.

Griffin is 12th in scoring, fourth in rebounding, and has an amazing streak of 27 straight double-doubles. He's been so good that the Clippers have become a must-see team in spite of the fact that they're 10 games under .500 and, having played more home games and fewer road games than any team in the league, are likely to slip even lower.

So there's no Rookie of the Year race to analyze. Instead, we're left with a more historic question: Is he having one of the best rookie years ever? And if so, where does it rank?
Great recent rookie seasons, pace-adjusted to 2010-11

PAP40=Pace-adjusted points per 40 minutes; PAR40=Pace-adjusted rebounds per 40 minutes; PAA40=Pace-adjusted assists per 40 minutes
PlayerPAP40PAR40PAA40PER
David Robinson, 1989-9024.912.32.126.3
Michael Jordan, 1984-8527.46.35.725.8
Blake Griffin, 2010-1124.113.73.623.3
Shaquille O'Neal, 1992-9323.714.01.923.2
Terry Cummings, 1982-8323.610.62.522.8
Tim Duncan, 1997-9822.612.82.922.6
Chris Paul, 2005-0618.65.99.022.1
Chris Webber, 1993-9420.410.64.221.7
Hakeem Olajuwon, 1984-8521.012.11.421.1
Alonzo Mourning, 1992-9322.911.21.120.8
Elton Brand, 1999-0022.511.22.120.6
Magic Johnson, 1979-8017.67.67.220.6
Larry Bird, 1979-8021.310.44.520.5

To answer that question, I went to the archives. As it turns out, Griffin's rookie year (so far) isn't the best in history … I'd say Wilt Chamberlain has that pretty safely salted away by jumping out of the gate with a 37.6-27.0 campaign in 1959-60.

Nonetheless, it's still pretty amazing. The first thing one notices is the players he's being compared to -- Griffin is on a trajectory that few have approached, and rookies of this quality virtually always turn into superstars. For instance, Griffin is on pace to be the seventh rookie to average more than 22 points and 12 rebounds in a season; five of the other six are in the Hall of Fame and the sixth, Shaquille O'Neal, is a mortal lock to join them.

Of course, most of the great rookie seasons happened in the 1950s and 1960s, when (a) players rocketed into the league with four years of college experience, and (b) the college game was a better learning ground because everybody else stayed four years too. Griffin, for instance, won't be touching Wilt's rookie numbers, or the Big O's near triple-double campaign of 30.5-10.1-9.7 in 1960-61.

In the past four decades or so, however, players have routinely left school early and taken more lumps as NBA rookies. In that light, Griffin's rookie season seems even better. Only two rookies in the past 40 years have exceeded Griffin's current 23.26 PER, and one of them was a 24-year-old David Robinson. The other was a fairly decent player by the name of Michael Jordan.

Everybody else takes a back seat to Griffin. EVERYBODY. Shaq, Duncan, Magic, Bird -- no dice, fellas. The comparison of Griffin to other dominant big men of recent vintage is particularly noteworthy. Once we adjust for pace and minutes, as I've done in the chart, his rookie season seems completely in place next to those of Robinson, Duncan, Shaq, and Olajuwon. And in one respect (his passing ability) he's already far beyond them and nearly into Larry Bird/Chris Webber territory.

The other thing you'll notice from the chart, again, is the quality of the comparables. Of the other 12 best rookies in the past three decades, all but two are either in the Hall of Fame or well on their way. We'll try really hard to ignore the fact that the two exceptions both played for the Clippers.

Keep in mind, too, that we're comparing Griffin's half-year numbers against the other player's full-year numbers. But Griffin is still ramping up -- his scoring, rebounding and assist numbers have improved dramatically every month. Griffin averaged only 20.9 points and 11.7 boards in November; in January he's at 27.6 and 14.4. At this rate, his April numbers are going to be the stuff of video games.

Sum it all up and we're left with only one conclusion: Griffin isn't just another Rookie of the Year. He's, most likely, a superduperstar. Basically, his career represents the collision of two trends that have had few, if any, exceptions: The first, that players who play this well this early virtually always become all-time greats, and the second, that the Clippers are cursed. L.A.'s "other" team will have its fingers crossed that the first trend can overcome the second.
Way to do your homework there, very interesting statistics. He is having a amazing year and i do believe he is a superstar in the making barring any serious injury to derail his career. 1 thing the NBA season is a long one and he might burn himself out before seasons end playing at this pace and carrying this team on his back.

As long as the Clipper curse does not set in this team looks very promising with all the young talent in future years.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:32 PM   #61
Pro

Brew's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis72
Way to do your homework there, very interesting statistics. He is having a amazing year and i do believe he is a superstar in the making barring any serious injury to derail his career. 1 thing the NBA season is a long one and he might burn himself out before seasons end playing at this pace and carrying this team on his back.

As long as the Clipper curse does not set in this team looks very promising with all the young talent in future years.
Yeah Kaman and Craig Smith's injury has been a double edge sword. Griffin has become the focal point inside and in turn has put up some monster numbers. However at the same time the Clippers are only running a 3 man rotation inside right now between D. Jordan, Griffin, and Ike Diogu. In turn forcing Grif to play heavy minutes. You could see fatigue was a factor in his last game against Portland. Not only was it the Clips 4th game in 5 nights but you also saw Griffin and Eric Gordon playing 44 minutes apiece.

They do have a lot of talent... I hope the Clippers try to build a contender around Griffin instead of driving him away like theyve done with so many other players in the past. Right now, they are definitely one of the most exciting teams to watch in the league.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-22-2011, 02:16 PM   #62
Banned

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...4&sportCat=nba
Old 01-22-2011, 03:15 PM   #63
Pro

OVR: 11

He's rated an 85 in the newest roster update that came out per the 2K Insider, I think that's accurate as that's how I rated him anyways.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:27 AM   #64
Pro

I think his strength and quickness need a boost. He seems slow and a bit weak in the post in 2K11 compared to real life.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »