Home

NBA 2K12 Demo Roundtable

This is a discussion on NBA 2K12 Demo Roundtable within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 09-23-2011, 08:44 PM   #33
MVP

GaryT531's Arena

OVR: 19
I have never heard of anyone complain about too many player animations in a game before. If l wanted to see the same player animations in every game then I'd go play NCAA Football, Madden or even NBA Live 10.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:09 PM   #34
Rookie

OVR: 0
Horrible roundtable. This is going to be the best sports game of the year, despite the sucky demo that is nearly unplayable due to the sideline camera angle. Next year, get some people that actually enjoy playing basketball videogames to discuss NBA 2k13.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:18 PM   #35
MVP

OVR: 30
THANK YOU, JAYSON. Been speaking on the movement, and controls, for that matter, for a minute.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2011, 11:42 PM   #36
MVP

stillfeelme's Arena

OVR: 10
This rounndtable was suprising to say the least. Had some suprising statements

" Like many of today's NBA superstars, NBA 2K12 seems to focus too much on the flash and glamour of basketball and not enough on the sport's fundamentals." This one takes the cake though.

After playing so many games in 2K11 this demo stands out to me as being better in so many areas and it is not even close in my eyes. This demo on easy, pro ****** default whatever setting it is plays a better game of basketball than 2K11.

1. The CPU AI is a totally different animal in this demo, pump fakes, hop steps, the way they swing the ball, drive and dish is nothing like 2K11 and is the closest I have seen to real life basketball in a video game.
2. The ability to branch out of any animation just changes the feel as well, everything seems to be in the users control. Some of the heavy animation you guys mention are giving us the most unpredicable gameplay I have seen in any game. Almost everytime I play the demo I see something new.
3. "Live ball" the way the ball has been deflected sometimes bouncing off legs and going out of bounds or a big fumbling the rebound just takes it to another level.
4. The physics/contact between the player is nothing like 2K11. You don't get those suction animations but you get contact and it effects the play in the paint and changes the outcome.
5. Fast breaks!, Fast breaks! we actually get realistic fast breaks off of turnovers without the CPU turning into Usain Bolt or a animation to slow us down. I have seen some fast breaks that wouldn't be possible against the CPU in 2K11.
6. Post game Y button even at it's state right now compared to 2K11, is a night and day difference once you get most of the moves down.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:03 AM   #37
Rookie

OVR: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Glock
Jayson Young: "NBA 2K12 seems to focus too much on the flash and glamour of basketball and not enough on the sport's fundamentals."

Ok this guy does not have a clue about basketball and has lost all credibility when it comes to this game. One of the most ridiculous statements I have read on here in a long time.
Agree. Jayson and Dustin are jokes.

There moronic statements are indefensible.

Period.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:17 AM   #38
MVP

blues rocker's Arena

OVR: 14
Jerkiness of animations? lack of fundamentals? what the?.....do these guys know anything? wow.

Jayson and Caley are way off. Sound like a couple of 2k haters to me. No one with a working pair of eyeballs would say that 2k is "jerky"...the movement is silky smooth and natural. And "lacking fundamentals"?....what? 2k12 looks to be the most fundamentally realistic basketball game to date...i'm baffled.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:24 AM   #39
Banned

OVR: 2
Re: NBA 2K12 Demo Roundtable

"Player movement still feels incredibly awkward and bogged down by the bazillion animations Visual Concepts crams into their basketball games. NBA 2K12makes the effort to capture unique jump shots for most of its players, yet the game struggles with basic transitional animations like going from the triple threat position into a blow-by dribble or catching a pass and then making a quick first step in another direction.

My biggest pet peeve is how the passing, after more than 10 years of 2K basketball, is still slow and floaty. Shouldn't Jason Kidd be zipping passes around the court? Beach ball passing, sadly, is still the norm in 2K12."

I know I am in the minority but this sums up my feelings exactly .
I still love everything else about the game and respect greatly how much they have improved the franchise !
I just dont like the gameplay as far as movement and passing .
just my opinion ......
Old 09-24-2011, 12:37 AM   #40
Pro

OVR: 12
Re: NBA 2K12 Demo Roundtable

Quote:
Originally Posted by adwin7
I don't know if too many people played 2k11 as much as I have this year, and I don't know if too many people played the demo as much as me. I have gotten it in on both. So that's why I can't understand Why this demo feels like 2k11 to people.

No need to point out differences but for those who played the later builds, I can't argue with you, but I strongly disagree with this round table as a whole.
I completely agree with you, I can't even begin to count the hours I put into 2k11 I played it almost every day from Midnight of it's release day till the demo dropped. Now I've been playing the demo every day. The differences are profound but they don't jump out at you because ironically they're changes to the fundamental non-flashy aspects of the game.

The difference in movement is a huge difference, the rebounding, the way the ball reacts, changes to the defensive stance mechanics. Things that probably wouldn't jump out at someone who didn't intimately get to know 2k11.

If the retail makes the demo feel sluggish than I will be one happy gamer come Oct 4.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »