Home

nba 2k13 everything Defense

This is a discussion on nba 2k13 everything Defense within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-16-2012, 07:18 AM   #17
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38
I've gone entire games without pressing 'Y' and still avg around 4-5 blocks a game.

LT, LT, LT- very powerful trigger...especially if you leave 'auto contest/ intense D'

You'd be surprised how effective beating players to their spot and simply holding LT is...

Even directly under basket, after originally thinking it was overpowered....lately, just angling and holding LT has resulted in a contact animation or block.

and I just realized I've been playing on All Star/Default...(explains a lot) lol. Even so, I've seen a HUGE jump in my defense since adopting this tactic.

I only use 'Y' in help situations or situations where I have superb positioning...
Old 10-16-2012, 10:30 AM   #18
MVP

EarvGotti's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: nba 2k13 everything Defense

Go to your controller settings and put Defensive Assist to 0. It gives me full control of my player on defense. I be feeling like Gary The Glove Payton.
SF) Sapphire Scottie Pippen
PF) '95-'96 Dennis Rodman
C) Hakeem Olajuwon
Old 10-16-2012, 10:35 AM   #19
MVP

raiderphantom's Arena

OVR: 6

Good tips. Fundamental defense always prevails. I gotta implement the RS in I guess and use the LT method more as well like the above poster said. My defense can be suffocating at times but against users it's tough the way a lot of these semi contested threes go in. If I actually get a hand up in their face it misses but I can be inches from them and they can pull up like its nothing. That, plus the constant fast breaking and the fact that I can't seem to ever break up anything in the passing lane against a user even when I'm anticipating it makes it tough.

XBLGT: tjor24
Old 10-16-2012, 10:57 AM   #20
MVP

OVR: 12

- When someone is dribbling near the sideline, try to push them out of bounds by making contact with the ball handler and then pushing the left stick towards the sideline. Sometimes you'll get called for the blocking foul.

- I think the right stick is good for blocking contact layups. All you need to do is push the right stick towards the ball.

- I think shading is a waste of time online (well as long as you're playing MyTeam or Quick Ranked), your opponent plays so fast that you won't have time to make the shade animation and defend them properly. If they are near the sidelines I just direct them to the baseline, seeing as it's easier to run out of bounds this year (which was supposed to be a feature last year).

- I think you should just have contest shots left at Intense D because directing the right stick at the shooter just slows you down, I also think pointing the right stick at a moving ball handler is a waste of time too, as it's basically redundant. There is no rational reason why you should defend a moving ball handler better with LT and right stick than just LT. I can only imagine that it could have a placebo effect, but LT seems to do the job just fine.

- The problem I'm having with defense at the moment is that there is no structure to it. I'd prefer something consistent, like a rules-based system but when I finally think I've got part of the defense down it just changes. In MyTeam, for example, I've gotten use to having to defend Korver in 80% of my matches, and before I used to just set def settings at deny ball/tight for both onball and offball and then let the CPU defend him, but he would still manage to drain threes when Thabo Sefolosha was stuck to him like glue. Then I decided to just intervene when Korver had the ball and force him to drive, but he will still knock down fast break threes. Now I'm just playing off ball D on Korver and sticking to him at all times, but still getting mixed results. I have no way of defending the fast break three because my players just collapse into the paint. Playing on ball 100% and just switching when necessary is playing with fire when Korver's on the floor.

- Having trouble with people who just try to rush the pain constantly with Rivers and then do a lead pass to their center. They don't need a pick or anything. It's ridiculous.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:08 AM   #21
MVP

OVR: 9

My thoughts about steals...

Don't forget the right stick 'flick' moves to jump in passing lanes.

There is usually a window after a player receives the ball where he is not really defending it well, either in his dribble or just holding it. If you know you have a player who is a good thief against a player who is weak in ball security this is the easiest time to get a steal IMO. For instance, Lebron usually starts at the 4, and is up against guys who stand no chance if you try to steal when they aren't protecting the ball.

Lastly, the 'take charge' button is very fluid. Just hold B and get in the way... you can also flop! Van Gundy will hate you forever.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-16-2012, 11:13 AM   #22
Rookie

sreckless's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optik
- Having trouble with people who just try to rush the pain constantly with Rivers and then do a lead pass to their center. They don't need a pick or anything. It's ridiculous.
The lead pass to the paint is back with a vengeance this year. It's worse than it has been since 2k9 or 2k10.

Even though I like playing on-ball defense, this has forced me back to playing off-ball because it's the only way to have a chance to slow this down unless I want to play zone.

Sometimes you get called for a foul just by standing in place with your hands up as the offensive player barrels into you. Extremely frustrating to the point where I may have to put the game down for awhile if I can't figure out how to counter it.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:16 AM   #23
Banned

OVR: 0

What about the CPU defense? how can we make it better?
Old 10-16-2012, 11:27 AM   #24
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Anyone using the quick defensive options like concentrate on stars, close the paint, ect? Any comments on how these affect other coaching settings like help defense, p&r defense, how tight to defend a player, etc?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »