Home

Is it safe to say VC was a horrible idea?

This is a discussion on Is it safe to say VC was a horrible idea? within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 10-31-2012, 10:22 PM   #1
MVP

cardinalbird5's Arena

OVR: 13
Is it safe to say VC was a horrible idea?

I know 2k wanted to make extra money through this, but it was just poorly implemented into the game. The fact that people would rather grind, glitch, or pay for VC rather than actually earn it shows you that VC takes the whole point of the game and throws it out the window.

I constantly found myself using coach mode and 1 on 1 blacktop to earn enough VC to play the MyTeam mode, but then when I play online association games or the actual My team mode I got nothing. Anyone see a problem there?

Not to mention you allow people to get 99 overalls for the 3v3 blacktop and stacked teams in MyTeam without having to do a single thing takes the whole fun out of both modes. People don't even want to play my career to earn VC to make their player better. They find other ways to get VC. Anyone see a major flaw in that? VC has turned the game into "pay to play" rather than "play to pay".

MyTeam was an utter joke too, but I won't even get into that. VC could have been a good idea and I get the whole idea behind it. Playing ranked games, regular quick games, team up games, offline association games, etc. to accumulate a lot of VC over time sounds rewarding, but the whole problem is the true offline association players and the players that only play strictly online ranked games don't care about VC. Not to mention the fact you don't make your MyTeam stronger by actually playing the mode and winning, but rather you find a way to farm VC to get a better team. Then you get what when you win? Nothing...no stats or leader boards or nothing....pointless.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-31-2012, 10:30 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Is it safe to say VC was a horrible idea?

I think your explanation says something slightly different than your thread title, and it's the explanation I agree with in part. I don't think VC was a horrible idea, I just think its implementation was short sighted and lackluster. Requiring constant online server interaction for full functionality of VC in offline modes, replacing MyPlayer contracts with the gold coins, and paying 10 times your yearly salary to buy a premium t-shirt are just a few of the shortcomings I have with this aspect of the game.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:33 PM   #3
The Designated Hitter

BA2929's Arena

OVR: 20

Horrible idea? No.

Implemented incorrectly in various ways? Yes.

It's a great idea. Personally, I don't have enough time to play hundreds upon hundreds of games with my MyCAREER guy to get him anywhere close to respectable. I have other things that take my personal time down to a minimum. So the fact that I can buy VC for that is great. However, I can see why you are upset about it. It's the first year for a new upgrading system. There are bound to be flaws in the way it was implemented. However, that doesn't mean it was a horrible idea.

PS: But it is quite dumb that it costs 3,000 VC for new socks to make your player look better. They need to just let you edit the way your guy looks for free, or bring the VC down to about 5% of what it's currently priced at.

Last edited by BA2929; 10-31-2012 at 10:45 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:04 PM   #4
MVP

cardinalbird5's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA2929
Horrible idea? No.

Implemented incorrectly in various ways? Yes.

It's a great idea. Personally, I don't have enough time to play hundreds upon hundreds of games with my MyCAREER guy to get him anywhere close to respectable. I have other things that take my personal time down to a minimum. So the fact that I can buy VC for that is great. However, I can see why you are upset about it. It's the first year for a new upgrading system. There are bound to be flaws in the way it was implemented. However, that doesn't mean it was a horrible idea.

PS: But it is quite dumb that it costs 3,000 VC for new socks to make your player look better. They need to just let you edit the way your guy looks for free, or bring the VC down to about 5% of what it's currently priced at.
Yes but they could just make it where you can buy skill points too if they took out VC. I don't like that VC is universal. It takes the whole point of playing the mode. I can understand them giving us the option to buy our players, but also the fact that VC is universal was a bad idea too. VC doesn't even do anything for association mode...so what is the point to association only users?

I believe they should have left my team and my career on separate terms. You shouldn't have to be playing 1 on 1 black tops or doing coach mode just to be competitive in my team mode or in the 3v3 black top. You know how you should be competitive in my team? By playing and winning games, managing your team, buying booster packs with the money you earn, etc. Not by farming 20 k then going buying Lebron.....WTF is the point? If I wanted to use the Heat I would...if I wanted to use a stacked team I'd go use the Dream Team in an unranked game.

MY career is worthless to me, because I feel like there are quicker ways to earn VC rather than actually playing. Which may be a problem I have, but it takes the fun out of it to me when I am playing other game modes to make my player better.

Just back *** backwards to me.......

Maybe I am wrong, but the fun of my player was playing the actual my player games, doing well, unlocking challenges, building up skill points, and slowly progressing. It just isn't the same to me.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:15 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 0

For offline my career it's actually better than last year. The sp aspect is a lot better than it used to be. Skills are cheaper than they used to be and it's am actual challenge to get it. But not being able to edit my player without internet is stupid. I ended up hacking the game and playing CAL instead. But it really isn't the same. I just want a stupid arm sleeve 2k wtf...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-31-2012, 11:32 PM   #6
MVP

Taer's Arena

OVR: 7

I understand all the pros and cons involved with the system.

The only thing I personally dislike is that 2k made "grinding" without exploiting as difficult as it is. I could use any of the methods available to get mad VC, or I can pay money to bling out my guy... but if I just want to play games and grind out my progression, it becomes non-realistic.

After playing a full 82 game 12min Quarter season, I maxed out at an OVR 80... I don't want to cheese or play like a video game ... I want to enjoy it as a sim of a reasonable NBA game.

The way this system has been implemented is flawed and unequal.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:38 PM   #7
Rookie

WeBB15's Arena

OVR: 5
All they had to do was implement not being able to use paid VC for skills and animations. Only earned VC should be allowed for those... Now a lot of the competition online is paid for, which equals unfair quality and less replayability for me.
WIZ
Old 10-31-2012, 11:58 PM   #8
MVP

UnbelievablyRAW's Arena

OVR: 5

Shouldn't have been used for skill points in my player

The amount you get per game mode is messed, the prices of things are also messed

Good idea, implemented horribly

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »