Home

Old 12-03-2012, 09:27 PM   #1
Pro

Bunselpower32's Arena

OVR: 8
Overall Ratings

No, this is not about someone's overall rating being too low or high. Yes, this is a rant about the gaming community's stock in overall ratings.

I am sick and tired of seeing every third thread be about someone's favorite player that they in their unbiased wisdom have decided deserve two points added to their overall. It is just a number, derived semi-arbitrarily by a panel at 2k from what traditionally makes one great at their position. If I see one more thread about, "-sniff-I hate the 2k insider! he sucks! he doesn't even know that Carmelo is playing really good and deserves two points added to his rating!" (And I chose Carmelo because Knick fans have to justify that trade at every junction). Boo hoo. Consistency and history have a much bigger impact on basketball (and baseball) because there a lot of games. In football, one year is as many games as a month of basketball and two weeks of baseball. Traditionally, Carmelo plays no defense. Just because there is a 6 game stretch where he looked awake on D doesn't mean all of a sudden his rating should shoot up.

I know this is long, but I am at my wits end. You paid a little bit of money and some people encoded an entire sports game into a disc for you. Play it, be happy, stop nit picking at the game, and stop blaming others for you not trying the game first or waiting a couple days before you coughed up the cash.

And for Pete's sake, 2K, abolish the overall rating.

- Rick Wise
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-03-2012, 09:49 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 4
Re: Overall Ratings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunselpower32
No, this is not about someone's overall rating being too low or high. Yes, this is a rant about the gaming community's stock in overall ratings.

I am sick and tired of seeing every third thread be about someone's favorite player that they in their unbiased wisdom have decided deserve two points added to their overall. It is just a number, derived semi-arbitrarily by a panel at 2k from what traditionally makes one great at their position. If I see one more thread about, "-sniff-I hate the 2k insider! he sucks! he doesn't even know that Carmelo is playing really good and deserves two points added to his rating!" (And I chose Carmelo because Knick fans have to justify that trade at every junction). Boo hoo. Consistency and history have a much bigger impact on basketball (and baseball) because there a lot of games. In football, one year is as many games as a month of basketball and two weeks of baseball. Traditionally, Carmelo plays no defense. Just because there is a 6 game stretch where he looked awake on D doesn't mean all of a sudden his rating should shoot up.

I know this is long, but I am at my wits end. You paid a little bit of money and some people encoded an entire sports game into a disc for you. Play it, be happy, stop nit picking at the game, and stop blaming others for you not trying the game first or waiting a couple days before you coughed up the cash.

And for Pete's sake, 2K, abolish the overall rating.
Real talk.

1ochar
Old 12-03-2012, 09:57 PM   #3
Pro

BearClaw's Arena

OVR: 9

I still don't get why people believe there is merit to overall ratings. In all sports games you could put together a "money ball" team and be successful.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:10 AM   #4
Pro

Bunselpower32's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearClaw
I still don't get why people believe there is merit to overall ratings. In all sports games you could put together a "money ball" team and be successful.
Exactly. Not sure where the last paragraph of my little rant came from, doesn't really apply, and kind of regretting it after once again getting screwed out of yet another 2k game due to lack of physics...but really, I just don't understand the overall nitpicking. Its always about like raising it one point or two.

- Rick Wise
Old 12-04-2012, 12:08 PM   #5
All Star

beast10's Arena

OVR: 36

What they mean is the player has developed in some things and is predicting how high he should be. But I still agree with you here it's pretty annoying
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-04-2012, 12:17 PM   #6
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

2k added the letter grades a few years back. But I never even use it. As soon as I get the game. I press R3 to change to each rating.

I've always wonder if 2k got rid of the overall ratings. How would everyone react to a change like that? Would those same threads change into "Why doesn't Melo have the same mid range rating as Durant?". That's probably what would happen lol.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:31 AM   #7
Pro

OVR: 7

I don't care about overalls, but I do care about individual attributes, and the insider is pretty weak doing that. Things like Josh Smith being an elite mid range shooter or John Wall hitting 3's is what ruins this game for me

Last edited by Norris_Cole; 12-05-2012 at 12:33 AM.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:37 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9
2k added the letter grades a few years back. But I never even use it. As soon as I get the game. I press R3 to change to each rating.

I've always wonder if 2k got rid of the overall ratings. How would everyone react to a change like that? Would those same threads change into "Why doesn't Melo have the same mid range rating as Durant?". That's probably what would happen lol.
If that's what it changed in to, that would be a good thing. Then we'd be getting good discussion about ratings, if people were identifying specific individual attributes that need adjusting then that's something worth talking about rather than "OMG MELO HE SHOULD BE 92".

The funny thing is they could not change any of Melo's individual ratings, slap a 92 overall down and those complaining would be happy.

Hell in my Rockets association, I have Harden who is I think 81, might be 82, dude still goes off big time.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »