Home

No Practice Plays in Next-Gen

This is a discussion on No Practice Plays in Next-Gen within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 10-24-2013, 03:36 PM   #17
MVP

JasonWilliams55's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: No Practice Plays in Next-Gen

Freelance practice = Players mindset
Practice Plays = Coaches mindset

That's how I see it.

I just don't understand... I thought it was a memory issue coupled w/ not enough people. Memory shouldn't be a problem now and if its just cause not enough people, well frankly that's lame, how many people use post moves practice? is that next?
Old 10-24-2013, 03:41 PM   #18
Pro

dramachild11's Arena

OVR: 7

I like Vanns point about how the madden community would react to having the labbing option taken away, I'm pretty sure YouTube would lose half it's videos and operationsports would ban thousands of people for cursing every other word in their posts... I was under the impression that the option was taken away for current gen because of disk space an the baffling notion that not enough people used the feature which seems like an outright lie, but seeing how this community reacted to that I would've thought that it would be put back into a game that is probably gonna take a little while for people to get used too
Old 10-24-2013, 03:51 PM   #19
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by vannwolfhawk
I think sadly with threads like this or threads about plays show that it is not a big mode or something that interests or appeals to the masses. Every thread about plays, playbooks, or practice plays never has more than 2-3 pages of responses. Yet threads with lebron's hairline being wrong gets 55 pages with responses. Lol

Where are the sim heads on OS? Maybe 95% of people don't go in depth and don't care and just freelance all game? What if they took out freestyle practice to learn all the ISO moves and shot releases? Then would we be hearing more complaints from the community about losing a key feature or mode?

Preach!!
My thoughts exactly threads topics about playbooks or practice don't last long in the forum but a headband color or a players hair topic goes on forever. I'm very disappointed by 2k removing practice mode, custom music and association/season mode. I'm more shocked than anything that not even practice mode made it to next gen, wow.... I would like one of the devs to touch on this topic.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:53 PM   #20
Pro

OVR: 6

I wonder where did you hear there is no Practice Mode in this game? From what i understand, there is always a practice mode in NBA2K. How are you going to perfect your shot or practice moves without practicing?? It doesn't make sense if they take it out.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:19 PM   #21
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optik
That is a terrible way to decide whether a mode or function belongs in a game. The way this is going, Sim going to go the way of the Whigs.
Yeah, jsut look at Curry's 360 dunks, Lebron draining contested half court shots, Bogut's wicked double cross floater, and David Lee playing defense.

Wait. What?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-24-2013, 05:24 PM   #22
MVP

vannwolfhawk's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketball444
Well it is disappointing you can't practice your plays without defense but at least you can still practice during a scrimmage or something. I know it's a pain but at least it's not totally gone. Would like to see it come back next year though but it's not a deal breaker for me by any means.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettogeeksta
Pratice plays in exhibition games.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dat swag
Guys...you can practice...Just go online with a buddy...set the quarters to 12 minutes...Don't play the game to win...Just lab plays with each other...Thats te best way to practice...Don't trip its all good...We will all be fine

If you don't have online friends to do this with then that is a whole different problem
Fully aware of workarounds but again it is not the same thing. Just because this is not a big deal to some does not mean it's not for others. I used practice plays mode to learn and test plays vs CPU AI. I would then redo playbooks for every team. After all this I would go to scrimmage mode to learn where my plays were at and get used to plays on page 6 and 7 of a player for example. I'd turn shot clock off and run same play over and over.

In practice play mode I could learn all options of a play in 10x less the time. I could also test and run plays with CPU vs CPU to see how they would run plays against itself which would tell me how they would play and execute a play vs a human for offline games.

In scrimmage mode the CPU AI could play differently by double teaming, deny passing lanes, etc. you might not get the same look in each possession. On top of that unless you delete all but 1 play within the cpu's playbooks you have no way of testing the plays CPU vs CPU as you can't call the plays and have no way of knowing which play they are running.

I hope that makes sense. In the end not having practice plays makes it extremely hard to edit for roster makers to make the gaming experience offline better. This is strictly my main complaint as I want the smartest AI opponent I can play against. Sure it's easy for a user to go into scrimmage and practice plays and pick good plays that work for a user but remember these same plays might not necessarily work or be executed by a CPU opponent.

It makes the process 1000x harder. I realize most of the community doesn't realize how bad out of the box rosters and playbooks are. For those who visit the roster section and have used the great rosters edited by roster editors the difference is massive and playing out of the box 2k is impossible for me now without massive edits. It's just to flawed.

I'd suggest going and reading up on these threads to see what I mean...

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...ry-thread.html

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...ent-broke.html

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...ing-guide.html

Last edited by vannwolfhawk; 10-24-2013 at 05:27 PM.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:22 PM   #23
Pro

Mr_Riddick's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushmir
I won't b#$ch and moan/complain sufficeth to say i'm disappointed. I could deal with this on CG because the PS4 and Xbox1 versions of the game wouldn't make the same mistake. I still have love for 2K and am a HUGE fan but I literally would have to have all my other legacy issues resolved (defense stick, turnovers, online, defensive momentum, maxing out strategies and zone weaknesses) to justify a purchase without practice mode.
I'm not the guy who will bug out because the injured guys don't have on suits, the sixers red is wrong, evan turner doesn't have on his "Li Nings", thad young doesn't have all his accessories or that the ratings aren't perfect. I can totally overlook all of that as I can fix all that myself...but I spend most of my time not online? IN PRACTICE.

p.s. Points of Emphasis sounds great. Hope you guys have a blast.
Couldn't you just turn shot clock off in QP mode?

Last edited by Mr_Riddick; 10-24-2013 at 06:51 PM.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:25 PM   #24
Darkness!!!

DirtyJerz32's Arena

OVR: 41

I'm amazed there's no practice mode. Taking out features is just not cool. How are you supposed to know if the guys you draft or pick up in FA are any good. WOW.

Twitch: DirtyJerz32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold34_OS
No longer shall you be referred to as DirtyJerz32, but simply BOSS -

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »