Home

Slam Dunk Contest...Who Cares?

This is a discussion on Slam Dunk Contest...Who Cares? within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-28-2004, 12:44 PM   #1
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25
Slam Dunk Contest...Who Cares?

I've been reading all this crap about how unbelievable the slam dunk contest is on NBA LIVE 2005 and I just can't stop thinking, is this what really makes the game!? I've been an IGN Insider for some time now but I'm really starting to distrust their reviews. Under the title of the NBA LIVE 2005 review it reads something like "the dunk contest makes this game a slam". Come on. I'm sure its very, very cool. And I won't even begin to say that I don't care its not in ESPN, I do care. I wish ESPN had the feature (All-Star Weekend), but it by no means makes or breaks the game. I'm just fed up with all this hype about this feature because of the fact that making such a big deal about a feature like this puts more pressure on the developers next year to improve or include new ones instead of working on perfecting the gameplay. Fluff, fluff, fluff and more fluff. Gimmicks, gimmicks, gimmicks and more gimmicks. The more attention paid to mini-games like this, the further away from a sim we'll get in the futre. That's my only concern. Bottom line is, I'm getting ESPN today, LIVE will be on the shelf next to it, and I won't even pick it up to see the back of the box.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2004, 01:01 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 1
Re: Slam Dunk Contest...Who Cares?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
I've been reading all this crap about how unbelievable the slam dunk contest is on NBA LIVE 2005 and I just can't stop thinking, is this what really makes the game!? I've been an IGN Insider for some time now but I'm really starting to distrust their reviews. Under the title of the NBA LIVE 2005 review it reads something like "the dunk contest makes this game a slam". Come on. I'm sure its very, very cool. And I won't even begin to say that I don't care its not in ESPN, I do care. I wish ESPN had the feature (All-Star Weekend), but it by no means makes or breaks the game. I'm just fed up with all this hype about this feature because of the fact that making such a big deal about a feature like this puts more pressure on the developers next year to improve or include new ones instead of working on perfecting the gameplay. Fluff, fluff, fluff and more fluff. Gimmicks, gimmicks, gimmicks and more gimmicks. The more attention paid to mini-games like this, the further away from a sim we'll get in the futre. That's my only concern. Bottom line is, I'm getting ESPN today, LIVE will be on the shelf next to it, and I won't even pick it up to see the back of the box.

If you dont care so much then why did you mak this post. Nobody cares that you arent getting Live. Its just a video game...

You people take this ESPN vs LIVE thing way too serious...you either get Live, or you get ESPN, both, or none at all. Why do Live faithfuls and ESPN faithfuls feel the need to bash the rival game?

Just a video game, not the got damn Presidential Election
Old 09-28-2004, 01:02 PM   #3
MVP

videobastard's Arena

OVR: 14

Its just a gimmick to give the game great advertising.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:03 PM   #4
Aka."Footballforever"

RoyalBoyle78's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
You should just play the game first and the slam dunk contest first before you judge it, I am a long time LIVE and NBA2k player, but I haven't really played live over the years until last years game, wich was better then ESPN subpar effort IMO. Anyway I was saying the same thing about the salm dunk contest myself, I was like who cares and stuff like that. After watching the latest vids on the SDC I was like you know what that **it looks pretty hot, thats why Im buying both games this year. There are some things about LIVE I like and there are things about ESPN that I like, you may say what you wan't about the SDC, I can also write and say how much the 24/7 mode stinks and is worthless in my eyes, wich I really think it is cause I never use it at all. Anyway I know some of us aren't rich and don'y have a lot of money, but do yourself a favor and pick up both games if you can spare the dough you can't go wrong at all, both games are going have things you may like better then the other one. Thats why I'm getting both games and I know I play both and be happy.
N.Y Islanders
Miami Hurricanes

Twitter - @RoyalBoyle78
XBOX LIVE - Royalboyle78
PSN - RoyalBoyle78

Last edited by RoyalBoyle78; 09-28-2004 at 01:07 PM.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:06 PM   #5
Aka."Footballforever"

RoyalBoyle78's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobastard
Its just a gimmick to give the game great advertising.
both compaines talk a whole lot of crap at this time, plus both EA/ESPN talk many gimmicks.
N.Y Islanders
Miami Hurricanes

Twitter - @RoyalBoyle78
XBOX LIVE - Royalboyle78
PSN - RoyalBoyle78
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2004, 01:09 PM   #6
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22

I think the ASW is a cool addition to Live. As for making or breaking a game, time and time again, the thing that sells these games really are fluff and gimmicks. I've often said that devs dont look out for us hardcore folk who want nothing but gameplay to be worked on. But instead of tryna please the minority, they go for the casual crowd where a feature such as ASW, will ultimately make or break they're decision as to which game they buy.

Live was great last year minus the ASW. They had to add something besides update the roster and tweak the gameplay and dynasty. Hell, even ESPN has added touches of fluff here and there. (24/7) Matter of fact, 24/7 = ASW.

Its just that so far, most sites are praising the hell out of ASW and the real gameplay seems like an afterthought. Which in that case, I agree with you. But its EA we're talking about. If you take out they're main NEW feature out of each game, whats left? Same goes for ESPN games.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:15 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 2

Both games have extra modes and features. Create a Shoe??????
Old 09-28-2004, 01:16 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 5

^^^ yup 24/7 is worst of a gimmick than the slam dunk contest, and the casual gamer that just plays video games, and doesn't get on message boards and talk about them like we do are hyped about the dunk contest. Thats all my friends talk about.. dunk contest.. dunk contest.. and they have a commercial based on the dunk contest.. Live 05 will prolly the best selling basketball game ever.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »