Home

[Official] Drafting your QG tier in RTTC

This is a discussion on [Official] Drafting your QG tier in RTTC within the NBA 2K Mobile forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Mobile
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-08-2015, 04:07 PM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: [Official] Drafting your QG tier in RTTC

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad_nicholson
hey, saw this asked a few times -- yes, when you participate in RTTC, you're pulling from your QG tier. Even though the game, visually, says differently that's what is happening.

for example, if you're rolling in Star in QG but have a Legendary ++ deck in RTTC, you're still pulling from Star.
Appreciate it
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-08-2015, 04:09 PM   #26
Rookie

aardhaart's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad_nicholson
hey, saw this asked a few times -- yes, when you participate in RTTC, you're pulling from your QG tier. Even though the game, visually, says differently that's what is happening.

for example, if you're rolling in Star in QG but have a Legendary ++ deck in RTTC, you're still pulling from Star.
In that scenario if I pull a legendary from the RttC board, it will not mess up my Star reset counter, will it?
Old 05-08-2015, 04:14 PM   #27
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartForce
I enjoyed using 200 picks in a splurge. It was fun. According to CatDaddy, it causes problems with the servers. While you are absolutely correct that the only sure way to stop someone from abusing the mechanics would be to make each draft pick specific to the tier it was rewarded for, that's a ridiculous amount of work and changes to ask them to make just so we can have fun splurging picks (and screwing up the servers in the process).

A good rule of thumb about exploitation is that if you hear about it without going out of your way to find it, then it is probably far more rampant than you realize. I would not be surprised if the next version of the app is designed in a way that is much more restrictive of the rewards given for the quick games because of the way people have abused this year.

I would not be at all surprised to learn that the network problems that frequently occur during the RC are in some part due to people dropping tiers and hoarding picks so they can play faster and win 100% of the time.
This has been part of the game since last year. They do nothing about it all this time, but now decide to lower the number of picks to address it. That's just lazy, I'm sorry. Also, if your infrastructure can't handle the load on it, you don't restrict your clients, you fix the infrastructure.
Old 05-08-2015, 04:24 PM   #28
MVP

SmartForce's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by eVizions
This has been part of the game since last year. They do nothing about it all this time, but now decide to lower the number of picks to address it. That's just lazy, I'm sorry. Also, if your infrastructure can't handle the load on it, you don't restrict your clients, you fix the infrastructure.
It probably is for the same reason Blizzard recently banned people for the Blood Shard exploit in Diablo 3. It was reported during the testing of the patch, and they knew about it. Once it blew up and lots of people knew about it, they had to take action.

Similarly, I suspect that they are taking action now because the practice has grown prevalent enough that it is a problem. I mean ... when people start openly bragging about how they do it to speed up their RC grinding ... the problem is probably pretty widespread.

As far as them "fixing" things go, have you ever done the programming work necessary to handle the sort of load they get during RC and RttC events, along with ensuring that the card draft process is secure and can't be hacked on the client end to reward inappropriately? The load during picks is almost certainly due to the server handling everything when it comes to that and leaving nothing to the client except for a draft request.

That's not a problem you can just throw hardware at.
Lineup:
PG: Foil Legendary Pro MVP Stephen Curry
SG: Foil Epic Pro George Gervin
SF: Foil Legendary Pro LeBron James
PF: Foil Epic Pro Larry Johnson
C : Foil Epic Pro Robert Parish
Old 05-08-2015, 04:26 PM   #29
Cat Daddy Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by eVizions

I have been saying for a long time that saving picks is not a supported feature. It was never a "feature" at all. We didn't want players who lost connection at a bad time to lose their picks from a game they won which is why it exists at all. Players turned it into a thing in order to take advantage of the matchmaking and reward system. At the extreme, botters took advantage of it to excessively gain cards. We've been working on dealing with it for a long time to plug the holes. With the change in RttC to allow you to draft equal to your QG tier, we see no reason to be saving picks. Hence, why we dropped it even further since it truly can function as to what we wanted it to do, an error handling catch for lost connections.

If we wanted you to save picks as part of the game mechanics then we would have put it in the UI. The game is not designed for you to store and spend picks when you want to. Picks should be used when you receive them.
Old 05-08-2015, 04:44 PM   #30
Banned

vauux's Arena

Quote:
Mobile videogames are literally designed to be frustrating instead of fun.
A great many mobile titles make use of mechanics that are put together with the intention of nurturing habitual behavior, frustrating a user, and then offering a slightly more enjoyable experience after money has been spent. This tactic has proven to be a more profitable model than actually offering entertainment, to the point where some companies take very careful steps to ensure that their games don't accidentally end up being fun.
That sounds like satire, I know, but it's actually true.
Let's suppose you had a game like Galaga, for instance. A mobile game version monetized with in-application microtransactions would probably give you the option to upgrade your ship and your weapons, purchase additional lives, and other such things. You'd be able to earn "soft" (or "grind") currency by killing enemy units, with small amounts of "hard" (or "premium") currency being awarded when you advanced in level or something.
Now, that sounds like it would be alright, doesn't it? Here's where the manipulative part comes in, though: In this hypothetical game, it's virtually impossible to make it beyond the third level without spending money, because there's a "recommended" item of some kind that can only be purchased with hard currency... and it's impossible to earn enough of it from within the game. This is called a "pay wall," and a great many mobile games take advantage of the concept, albeit to varying degrees.
There's only one small problem with the game concept I just outlined: It might actually be kind of fun to play. As I mentioned previously, it's a far better idea to frustrate a user, and then give them a marginally better experience after they've converted to a paying player. So, maybe what we'd do with our hypothetical title is have all of the enemies slowly become more and more difficult over the course of five levels or so. Then, when a user inevitably died, we'd show them some kind of pop-up message:
"The aliens are advancing!" it might say. "Spend 15 SPACE CREDITS to revive?"
You'd be given the option to spend 15 hard currency for a single life... or to buy a pack of lives for only 50! Either way, immediately after you made the purchase, the game would become easier and more satisfying. If there were random items dropped by destroyed enemies, you'd see slightly more of them. Your score would increase more quickly, and there would be more explosions (or in the case of a game like Candy Crush, more flashing lights and noises).
After the level was done, you'd get bumped back into the typical difficulty and the same frustrating experience... until you spent more money, of course.
Read this and feel enlightened.
Old 05-08-2015, 04:56 PM   #31
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGameDad
I have been saying for a long time that saving picks is not a supported feature. It was never a "feature" at all. We didn't want players who lost connection at a bad time to lose their picks from a game they won which is why it exists at all. Players turned it into a thing in order to take advantage of the matchmaking and reward system. At the extreme, botters took advantage of it to excessively gain cards. We've been working on dealing with it for a long time to plug the holes. With the change in RttC to allow you to draft equal to your QG tier, we see no reason to be saving picks. Hence, why we dropped it even further since it truly can function as to what we wanted it to do, an error handling catch for lost connections.

If we wanted you to save picks as part of the game mechanics then we would have put it in the UI. The game is not designed for you to store and spend picks when you want to. Picks should be used when you receive them.
Well then I think you should seriously look into finding a way to restore it as a feature. Normal QG and RC picks (2 at a time) is monotonous. For me, the best part about RttC is that you get 8 picks. Saving picks adds an element to the game that otherwise isn't there. Whether you saw this as a feature or not, you've had it there for 2 years and it's become a part of the system.

You guys get tunnel vision sometimes in wanting everyone to do everything exactly the way you want it to be done instead of recognizing that different people enjoy the game in different ways and for different reasons.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-08-2015, 05:07 PM   #32
Rookie

cloud9rc's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by vauux
Read this and feel enlightened.
I don't think anyone read this and felt enlightened.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Mobile »