Home

Why does NBA 2K12 lag on my laptop?

This is a discussion on Why does NBA 2K12 lag on my laptop? within the NBA 2K PC Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K PC Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-16-2012, 07:08 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Why does NBA 2K12 lag on my laptop?

I just got it for 20$ on steam because of the mods, I also have it on ps3, but I can't even play because of the choppyness. I can play BF3 on medium/high settings. on the benchmark test it runs at around 50 fps but still it gets choppy every 5 seconds.
My specs:
Intel Core i7-2617M 1.5 GHz (2.6GHz Turbo Mode, 4MB Cache)
NVIDIA GeForce GT540 1.0GB Memory
6GB DDR3 at 1333 MHz RAM
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-16-2012, 10:54 PM   #2
Rookie

BlakkMajik3000's Arena

OVR: 1
With those specs, this game should be running smooth as silk. Couple of things you should try.

First, make sure your drivers are up to date.

Second, your card uses Optimus technology, so you want to go into the Nvidia panel and make sure you have the game explicitly set to use the graphics card.

I had this problem with 2k12 myself, and it was because the game wasn't using the graphics card when it should.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-16-2012, 11:05 PM   #3
Rookie

Re: Why does NBA 2K12 lag on my laptop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakkMajik3000
With those specs, this game should be running smooth as silk. Couple of things you should try.

First, make sure your drivers are up to date.

Second, your card uses Optimus technology, so you want to go into the Nvidia panel and make sure you have the game explicitly set to use the graphics card.

I had this problem with 2k12 myself, and it was because the game wasn't using the graphics card when it should.

thanks but i have my computer set to use my graphics card all the time so i know it isn't because of that.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:26 PM   #4
Banned

even with optimus on some games might not use nvidia. check to see if its selected to Nvidia gpu on the control panel.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:06 AM   #5
Rookie

BlakkMajik3000's Arena

Yup.

Also, you shouldn't have your computer set to always use the graphics card. Optimus was developed because most of the time, you don't need the extra power/energy consumption that comes with using the graphics card. It doesn't make much sense to disable something Nvidia developed for your benefit.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-17-2012, 12:36 AM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakkMajik3000
Yup.

Also, you shouldn't have your computer set to always use the graphics card. Optimus was developed because most of the time, you don't need the extra power/energy consumption that comes with using the graphics card. It doesn't make much sense to disable something Nvidia developed for your benefit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wth101
even with optimus on some games might not use nvidia. check to see if its selected to Nvidia gpu on the control panel.
That was the first thing I did when I experienced the lag on the game. It is set to use the High-Performance NVIDIA Processor
Old 09-17-2012, 01:58 AM   #7
Banned

hmmm i dont know what else to say lol. did u try to 'high performance' in the battery setting. also is your a lenovo? if it is, try to run it on standard or efficent thermal setting for your thermal management.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:07 AM   #8
Rookie

BlakkMajik3000's Arena

So, can you confirm the game is actually using the graphics card?

On my laptop, there is a light that comes on when the computer is using the graphics card.

Another thing you want to do is check your CPU temp while the game is running. If it's getting too hot, the game will stutter.

If your temps are normal, the game is using the graphics card, and the drivers for your card are up-to-date, I'm not sure what else the problem could be. If you're running BF3 on med/high, you should be running 2k12 maxed out no problem.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K PC Forum »