Home

Old 09-25-2016, 03:25 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 9
Ideas

Hey!

I am a long time 2K player (started when AI was on the cover) and I'd like to share some ideas and say some things about the game.

I haven't played 2K17 yet, only 2K16 on PC. It's a fun game, but not perfect. For the record, my favorite 2K game was 2K8. In that game, if you played realistically and in a simulation style, you could beat anyone. Not to brag, but I used the middling Sixers team then and had a record of over 200 wins and single digit losses (from what I recall) playing online.

So, in that game I feel there was a great balance of speed and animation. In 2K16, it seems the animations matter more than skill or mind most of the time. Let me explain.

I think there needs to be much faster animations in general. The speed is heavily favored for the defense. Offensive animations around the basket especially take too long. You could find a perfect seam in the D, have a wide open layup only for the guy to take too long with the animation (usually resulting in a block or missed contested shot).

When you are near the basket in a quick opening, the animations should be quick as well. A quick flip in before the D can recover. Same with fast breaks. A lot of time you have an open lane but the D can recover too quickly.

I feel in general the defense can fly around wildly while the offense can be stuck in mud and too slow to develop.

Also, it seems like in 2K8, it was easier to exploit the defense after a pump fake or bad reaching steal attempt. Often a quick pump fake would lead to an open pull up midrange jumper. If the opponent was playing out of control and wild D, you could beat it easier.

I know a lot of teams weny away from midrange game, but you should still be able to pull these moves off quicker and better when necessary.

Dunks need to be quicker, too. I know you guys are afraid of cheesers and exploits, but the balance should come from the initial D and O interaction, not from slow animations and speedier defense. If you make a great pass, hit the perfect opening or get the D off balance, you should be able to take advantage quicker. In other words, if my opponent is lacking fundamental defensive skills, I should be able to make it look like the Princeton Offense run to perfection (if I'm making the right fundamental plays, that is).

I hope some of that made sense. I really enjoy the game but I'd like to see that balance restored. Any thoughts or comments on this?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-04-2016, 01:34 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 9
Re: Ideas

I also notice in 2K16 that the CPU defense on All-Star Simulation is too aware most times. I know the game needs to provide challenge, but if I'm running a "slow break" or secondary break, the CPU defenders never seem to get lost on the perimeter.

For example, I played the 07-08 Rockets last night, and all 5 defenders would pick up their man without hesitation on a break, etc. Yao Ming would have incredible awareness to pick up a guy on the 3 point line closely so he wouldn't get an open shot, even when I'm running the break.

Fast break defense can be very tricky in real life. Sometimes you see 2 defenders trying to cover the same guy, etc., sometimes leading to an open 3 point shot from a trailer on the break. The trailing 3 pointer against the CPU AI is pretty much nonexistent. I run a break and do what I think is clever, waiting for my 3 or 4 guy to trail and be open for a 3 occasionally (since a scrambling defense could likely leave a trailer open on a break), but it just never seems to happen. Even if the defense is totally congested, they seem to gravitate to the right spots every time.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K PC Forum »