Home

What exactly is real-time physics?

This is a discussion on What exactly is real-time physics? within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 10:01 PM   #33
Banned

OVR: 4
Re: What exactly is real-time physics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshPrince22
it's not that big a deal. but hey, if you're gonna slap "real-time physics" on your game, don't half *** it ::shrug::
as long as my guy doesnt turn and go in the other direction when he bumps into a defender like in 2k ill be happy. ::shrug::
Old 06-21-2010, 11:35 PM   #34
MVP

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshPrince22
it's not that big a deal. but hey, if you're gonna slap "real-time physics" on your game, don't half *** it ::shrug::

what makes you think they're half-assing it? because of that little clip?

i don't think we're ever going to see perfect physics in any game, there's always going to be "something" to complain about, whether it's their fingers not moving properly or measuring the angle players jump or whatever.

I say let's just be happy that video sports games are shifting to real time physics in the first place. Will it be perfect? probably not. Will it ever be perfect? I don't know, probably not for a while. Is it better then canned animations? HELL YEA.

I think we just need to have a realistic approach to our expectations in video games. Why not be happy we are moving into the next big thing instead of over analyzing a WIP 5 months early of a 2 second clip?
Old 06-22-2010, 01:53 PM   #35
Banned

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisB
what makes you think they're half-assing it? because of that little clip?

i don't think we're ever going to see perfect physics in any game, there's always going to be "something" to complain about, whether it's their fingers not moving properly or measuring the angle players jump or whatever.

I say let's just be happy that video sports games are shifting to real time physics in the first place. Will it be perfect? probably not. Will it ever be perfect? I don't know, probably not for a while. Is it better then canned animations? HELL YEA.

I think we just need to have a realistic approach to our expectations in video games. Why not be happy we are moving into the next big thing instead of over analyzing a WIP 5 months early of a 2 second clip?
this is the truth. stop beastinng about a wip. look at the nhl series, they have to have their game out in september so they are far ahead of the elite series and look how all contact counts in that game. so now think about how good elite will be. have you any idea that the guy who created the engine is working on elite. he knows what hes doing. they have been very public about how they are sparing no expense to revive this franchise to put it in the league or FIFA AND NHL. chill out SHEESH
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-24-2010, 01:35 AM   #36
NBA Elite Developer

OVR: 23

Hey guys, I'm one of the programmers working on the physics for NBA Elite and would be more than happy to discuss things in more detail with you, especially how the physics will impact the gameplay.

Sorry I'm late to the thread

The "real time physics" impacts many, many areas of the game so it would take some time to go through everything.

I'll start with what I think is the most important part, defense.

As you're probably already heard, we've eliminated all two player canned animations from the game. Some examples include the dribble bump and jostling two player anims from last years game.

As soon as you remove those anims from the game, there is all of a sudden a huge hole in the game when playing defense. You can just drive straight to the hoop without anyone stopping you.

The real time physics is meant to fill that hole. When playing defense in Elite, the goal is to keep your body between your opponent and the basket. The physics is what makes that strategy effective.

As has been mentioned in this thread already, that also means taking into account the players speed, direction, point of impact and mass to ensure that the outcome feels physically correct given the players involved and the situation on the court.

One of the big changes is how we deal with collisions. Instead of there being an invisible cylindrical force field around the players that caused them to slide around each other, we're now using much smaller spheres and capsules that are attached to the actual skeleton of the player, specifically on the hips, shoulders and chest when dealing with on ball defense.

Hips for the backdown situation primarily, shoulders and chest for the head on jostling and bumps.

And instead of players sliding around each other, the defender will actually stop the dribbler and the two will engage.

What happens after that depends on what each user is doing with their stick. If the offensive player is pressing towards the hoop, but the defender is pressing his stick towards the dribbler, he'll push him off the lane. But it's all very dynamic and based on the players physical attributes.

However, at any time either player could pull away and disengage from the interaction (a huge contrast from last year where you'd be stuck in an animation that had to play out, and played out the same every time.

The other cool thing is that moves like the spin dribble have a physical component to them as well. So if you perform the move correctly, you'll actually use your body to seal the defender, giving you a lane to the basket.

Of course the defender could anticipate this and back off a little, giving him the ability to slide over and block the spin.

That's a taste of what "real time physics" means the Elite.

I could write a book on this stuff so I'll stop here since I should be getting back to work, but I'm happy to answer any questions about this, or how physics affects other parts of the game.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:05 AM   #37
Banned

OVR: 9

how exciting will it be to dunk on someone with the physics system?

also is i crossover with a player is using the sidestep move it was said he would lose balance. would the physics system allow you to make defenders fall?
Old 06-24-2010, 02:06 AM   #38
You Dead Wrong

Jano's Arena

OVR: 27

Thanks for the info man I've been waiting for a bball game to get rid of those 2 man animations. And the fact that both companies are pushing to achieve that is music to my ears, getting rid of those will leave us with a true dynamic bball game.

Basketball out of all sports is extremely dynamic and unpredicable so the fact that you guys are trying to incorporate that aspect of the game into the gameplay is great.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:12 AM   #39
NBA Elite Developer

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live Boii
how exciting will it be to dunk on someone with the physics system?

also is i crossover with a player is using the sidestep move it was said he would lose balance. would the physics system allow you to make defenders fall?
Dunking on someone feels amazing, mostly because so many different things can happen, since both players animations are dynamic and respond to physics. I've heard people screaming from their cubes when it happens.

And yes, if you are caught off balance and try to cut in the opposite direction you can get your ankles broken and fall to the ground.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:20 AM   #40
Rookie

Xuriath's Arena

OVR: 2

Quick question. Will the physics make defending actually seem fun, and will it actually make born defenders good? Like will Ron artest really be ron artest because in Live 10 everyone felt the same defensive wise and the size didnt change anything....
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »