Home

Just Played Live 2004 For about 5 Hours Today....

This is a discussion on Just Played Live 2004 For about 5 Hours Today.... within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 09-20-2003, 08:45 PM   #1
MVP

rawdog805's Arena

OVR: 21
Just Played Live 2004 For about 5 Hours Today....

Well There was the Madden Challenge That came to my City today(Buffalo)... I was in the tourney but lost my 6th game and then walked around for a minute and noticed that they had a basketball game going, thinking that it was 2003 I walked away... Then after about 15 minutes I walked back over and to my surprise it was LIVE 2004... They had the new Tiger Woods Golf, and Fifa 2004 Going also...

But NBA Live 2004 is a completely different game than last years version... This years version is definately a simulation, unlike last years... After getting used to the new control scheme I was ready to go... Using The Cleveland Cavs (Lebron Is a Beast On this Game), I started playing... This years the triangle is for the Jump Stop (or Pro Hop as EA Calls it) and also the drop step when down low, while the square button is used for the Dunk/Layup/Floater, The O Button is used for strictly Jumpers and the rest of the controls are the same as last years for offense.

On defense the L1 button is no longer used as the defensive crouch button, Now you have to pull down on the R3 button for the defensive crouch... Other than that I believe that all of the other controls were the same as last years on defense....

The gameplay this year is smooth and sweet, they actually have gameplay sliders this year where you can adjust such things as game speed and what not..... You also cant expect to do a spin move through another player without your player getting knocked around a bit, also for you guys that used to love doing freestyle dribbling all day long to get to the hoop for an easy dunk its not happening this year... The help defense is excellent this year... Blocked Dunk animations are awsome.... Blocks are very very very realistic this year no more swatting the ball 12 rows into the crowd.. If your man gets double teamed and picks up the ball sometimes both computer guys will get thier hands on the ball and wrestle it away.. Also dont get to carried away with the dunk button because you will miss a lot of shots that way, because if a defender gets a good challenge on you your man will be forced to change his shot and toss up a double clutcher that will most likely miss... Rebounding is perfect as long as you get good position and jump at the right time... Free Throw shooting for me was hard as hell, they now have two white bars that go horizontally and vertically and you have to stop both at the top of the box on the backboard....

The Off the ball play is sick... Men fighting to get open and the defenders fighting around picks off the ball... Man I was in basketball heaven...

I did not get a chance to look at tne franchise mode and things of that nature because I was busy actually playing the game... Ohh and they had Lebron James Starting as the Point Gaurd for the Cavs and Dejuan Wagner was on the bench... As For the EA Trax I only noticed 2 which was a song by the CLIPSE, and another song by Da Brat...

But seriously this game is a Definite Winner in my book and I hated last years version... I cant wait until October 14th, madden and all my other games will be collecting dust when this one comes...

Ohh BTW I did not get a chance to play FIFA 2004 but I did watch a couple guys play it and the graphics were sick, and the game looked awsome...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2003, 08:57 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Just Played Live 2004 For about 5 Hours Today....

Unreal. Who woulda thought? I tell you though, after all the previews/etc. I read, I've been thinking that this game might be worth a look. I'm sure nobody around here will be too impressed by your post, but I appreciate any info. I can get on all 3 titles. Nice work.

Couple of questions:

What was freestyle like? You mentioned it isn't a gimme anymore (thank god) but are the moves all the same? What about all the talk about signature moves? Do big men still do all of the same things guards do?

What about Post play?

What did the graphics look like? I don't really care too much about that, but it seems alot of people are trashing on it so I'm curious to hear your impressions after playing it for so long.

How was the commentary? Do Marv and Mike sound good?

What were the end of game stats like? What length of quarters did you play and what kind of stats were you getting? Can you still hit every shot like last year?

Finally, (and IMHO) is the game hard? What skill level were you playing on and were you winning or losing?

Thanks again!
Old 09-20-2003, 08:59 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 4

Oh yeah, sorry 1 more question:

How did the jump-stop work? Does it make you go into a shot right after, or can you pass out of it? Is it any good or just some gimmicky thing dreamed up by EA?
Old 09-20-2003, 09:25 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 5

The people who've played the game during the madden challenge have said basically the same thing. That's why I'm not sweating all these 2k4 boys talking Sh!t when they haven't even played the game. Sounds good though, thanks for all the input. Please try to add some more insight as you think of it.

What other sliders did you notice? How were the graphics and did you play the ps2 or x box version? Did you see the authentic sneaks and whatnot? How was the over all atmosphere of the game?
Old 09-20-2003, 09:28 PM   #5
MVP

Shadow's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:

karma224 said:
The people who've played the game during the madden challenge have said basically the same thing. That's why I'm not sweating all these 2k4 boys talking Sh!t when they haven't even played the game. Sounds good though, thanks for all the input. Please try to add some more insight as you think of it.

What other sliders did you notice? How were the graphics and did you play the ps2 or x box version? Did you see the authentic sneaks and whatnot? How was the over all atmosphere of the game?

Well Karma has said all of the things I wanted to know, can u answer them?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2003, 10:14 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 2

Sounds good. I've read nothing but positive previews for this game.
Old 09-20-2003, 10:20 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:

rawdog805 said:
Well There was the Madden Challenge That came to my City today(Buffalo)... I was in the tourney but lost my 6th game and then walked around for a minute and noticed that they had a basketball game going, thinking that it was 2003 I walked away... Then after about 15 minutes I walked back over and to my surprise it was LIVE 2004... They had the new Tiger Woods Golf, and Fifa 2004 Going also...

But NBA Live 2004 is a completely different game than last years version... This years version is definately a simulation, unlike last years... After getting used to the new control scheme I was ready to go... Using The Cleveland Cavs (Lebron Is a Beast On this Game), I started playing... This years the triangle is for the Jump Stop (or Pro Hop as EA Calls it) and also the drop step when down low, while the square button is used for the Dunk/Layup/Floater, The O Button is used for strictly Jumpers and the rest of the controls are the same as last years for offense.

On defense the L1 button is no longer used as the defensive crouch button, Now you have to pull down on the R3 button for the defensive crouch... Other than that I believe that all of the other controls were the same as last years on defense....

The gameplay this year is smooth and sweet, they actually have gameplay sliders this year where you can adjust such things as game speed and what not..... You also cant expect to do a spin move through another player without your player getting knocked around a bit, also for you guys that used to love doing freestyle dribbling all day long to get to the hoop for an easy dunk its not happening this year... The help defense is excellent this year... Blocked Dunk animations are awsome.... Blocks are very very very realistic this year no more swatting the ball 12 rows into the crowd.. If your man gets double teamed and picks up the ball sometimes both computer guys will get thier hands on the ball and wrestle it away.. Also dont get to carried away with the dunk button because you will miss a lot of shots that way, because if a defender gets a good challenge on you your man will be forced to change his shot and toss up a double clutcher that will most likely miss... Rebounding is perfect as long as you get good position and jump at the right time... Free Throw shooting for me was hard as hell, they now have two white bars that go horizontally and vertically and you have to stop both at the top of the box on the backboard....

The Off the ball play is sick... Men fighting to get open and the defenders fighting around picks off the ball... Man I was in basketball heaven...

I did not get a chance to look at tne franchise mode and things of that nature because I was busy actually playing the game... Ohh and they had Lebron James Starting as the Point Gaurd for the Cavs and Dejuan Wagner was on the bench... As For the EA Trax I only noticed 2 which was a song by the CLIPSE, and another song by Da Brat...

But seriously this game is a Definite Winner in my book and I hated last years version... I cant wait until October 14th, madden and all my other games will be collecting dust when this one comes...

Ohh BTW I did not get a chance to play FIFA 2004 but I did watch a couple guys play it and the graphics were sick, and the game looked awsome...

Sounds good. How were the graphics ?
Old 09-20-2003, 10:21 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 1

just got my game informer mag and it's saying LIVE 2004 will be out on the 8th!

look like EA took our advice and brought back LIVE 2000's gameplay....

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »