Home

NBA Live 16 Gameplay Video - Golden State Warriors vs. Cleveland Cavaliers

This is a discussion on NBA Live 16 Gameplay Video - Golden State Warriors vs. Cleveland Cavaliers within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-19-2015, 03:36 AM   #33
Rookie

kobe2theMAX's Arena

OVR: 0
Nice! Can't wait to buy this. LIVE gets better every year.
Old 06-19-2015, 04:29 AM   #34
Rookie

benefactor's Arena

Re: NBA Live 16 Gameplay Video - Golden State Warriors vs. Cleveland Cavaliers

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
You do know that Live isn't the first game, not even the first sports game to incorporate 'physics' correct?
It isn't, but it's the first bball game that incorporates physics into automated animations (where the system takes over and tells where an arm, leg, head etc should move, rather than a set motion captured movement that is the same every time it plays out).

The first game I remember such a system being used was Backbreaker football.

I don't think Live has implemented it's system as in depth and 'free' as that game (or their MMA game if I remember right), nor would you want them to in a bball game, but they deserve big props for taking the risk.

If anyone is old enough to remember the different techniques used in the early days of Live (even back to the first PS1 game I believe, which they claimed used 'V(irtual) Polys' lol) EA used to manually edit motion captured animations (pretty sure they had a marketing term for it too) and looking at some of the funky animations that still make it in the game year after year, they probably still do. But I really feel their physics animation system is a winner and from the looks of these early videos, it's improving each year.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:03 AM   #35
Rookie

OVR: 2
Maybe in 2010 , but now ..........
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-19-2015, 07:22 AM   #36
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by benefactor
It isn't, but it's the first bball game that incorporates physics into automated animations (where the system takes over and tells where an arm, leg, head etc should move, rather than a set motion captured movement that is the same every time it plays out).

The first game I remember such a system being used was Backbreaker football.

I don't think Live has implemented it's system as in depth and 'free' as that game (or their MMA game if I remember right), nor would you want them to in a bball game, but they deserve big props for taking the risk.

If anyone is old enough to remember the different techniques used in the early days of Live (even back to the first PS1 game I believe, which they claimed used 'V(irtual) Polys' lol) EA used to manually edit motion captured animations (pretty sure they had a marketing term for it too) and looking at some of the funky animations that still make it in the game year after year, they probably still do. But I really feel their physics animation system is a winner and from the looks of these early videos, it's improving each year.

I'm all for it man, if physics implementation is truly why animation quality is being sacrificed (even though this isn't the case with other games) then fine....

but it's going to above to start paying off somewhere other than replays for me to fully get on board. The paint game is among Lives weakest issues, and still an issue based on the early impressions...and this is where physics should shine through. As one of the Backbreaker guys said, at the very basic level physics is about interaction....I'm not seeing that as of yet....but I'll definitely be tuning in...
Old 06-19-2015, 08:41 AM   #37
Pro

DIRK41NOWITZKI's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tybudd
That didn't look like Kyrie's shot form at all

They mo capped his jump shot a couple years back. It looks pretty accurate to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-19-2015, 08:58 AM   #38
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38
NBA Live 16 Gameplay Video - Golden State Warriors vs. Cleveland Cavaliers

A lot of the jump shots Live captured look really good...only issue is that they all have the same rhythm....so it can look off for the guys with slower gathers...Brons jumper looked really good in the trailer but it was so quick

Last edited by The 24th Letter; 06-19-2015 at 09:14 AM.
Old 06-19-2015, 10:10 AM   #39
Pro

HoosierDaddy's Arena

OVR: 21

Unfortunately, it seems like more of the same overall for Live this year, in my opinion. I appreciate their efforts with adding features, signature styles, but they need to continue working on foundation-related gameplay. I should preface this by saying that I understand this is just a very small sample and everyone will be nit-picking this video to find the flaws. I'm just hoping that I provide some valuable, constructive feedback to the dev team.

Slowing down the animations to counteract the "herky-jerky" animation quality that so many others are mentioning. They are trying to achieve realistic player movement with the implementation of Live motion, which I'm all for, but the speed of the animations appear to be the problem more so than the actual cap of the movement. This is across the board - shot animation in relation to the basket, while being contested and collision-based animations. Over and under screens, off-ball defense with no regards to where ball is located, out-of-bounds force field still seems to be an issue, etc...

Passing - they seem to have focused on this with touch passes and handoffs, but there are still too many funky animations. It seems to happen a lot when a player is running at full speed or not looking at where they are passing and the player extends his arms, but the ball seems to be lagging behind. Just doesn't look or feel natural. Again - I think slowing down some of these animations will fix a lot of the problems. Errant passes by User/CPU with a defender in the passing lane should at least be deflected or tipped, there are too many occasions where the AI doesn't even attempt a steal.Hopefully these are adjustments that can be made via the sliders they are implementing this year (finally!)

Ball Physics - the floatiness of the ball is still there. It's almost as if while the ball is in the air calculations are taking place to determine the outcome of what happens. Ball and rim interactions still need to be added.

Rebounding - the players still seem to randomly jump for rebounds without any regards to ball tracking and where they are in relation to the ball. This leads to awkward or out of place animations and unrealistic gameplay. Hopefully they have implemented some tip rebounds or deflections instead of what appears to be canned animations of a rebound with a player grabbing the ball and bringing it down.

Dribbling - the ball still seems to be too high in relation to player height for me on occasion. Combine that with the fact that it also tends to get too far out away from a player's body and it just looks weird. I think this happens a lot during full speed animations or depending on the type of crossover that's being used.

USER/CPU AI - I mentioned the passing lane issue above, but there are other aspects of the game that need polishing. Using the Draymond Green steal as an example in the video, with a clear fast break and Tristan Thompson running side-by-side randomly leaves the defender instead of stopping the ball. User just stops at the 3-point line (lol, painful to watch some people play these games) ... there are many other examples and this needs addressed. Maybe a slider for this to adjust accordingly?

Sliders - The purpose of sliders are to adjust the game to your liking and make it play even more sim-like. Hopefully these sliders actually impact the game. The sliders that NEED to be in the game are: Game speed, Animation speed, passing lane steals, passing lane deflections, USER/CPU AI, Shot success overall, on-ball defense, help defense, pick and roll strength, offensive awareness, defensive awareness, offensive rebounds, defensive rebounds. Any other sliders would be icing on the cake at this point, in my opinion.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:25 AM   #40
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
Unfortunately, it seems like more of the same overall for Live this year, in my opinion. I appreciate their efforts with adding features, signature styles, but they need to continue working on foundation-related gameplay. I should preface this by saying that I understand this is just a very small sample and everyone will be nit-picking this video to find the flaws. I'm just hoping that I provide some valuable, constructive feedback to the dev team.

Slowing down the animations to counteract the "herky-jerky" animation quality that so many others are mentioning. They are trying to achieve realistic player movement with the implementation of Live motion, which I'm all for, but the speed of the animations appear to be the problem more so than the actual cap of the movement. This is across the board - shot animation in relation to the basket, while being contested and collision-based animations. Over and under screens, off-ball defense with no regards to where ball is located, out-of-bounds force field still seems to be an issue, etc...

Passing - they seem to have focused on this with touch passes and handoffs, but there are still too many funky animations. It seems to happen a lot when a player is running at full speed or not looking at where they are passing and the player extends his arms, but the ball seems to be lagging behind. Just doesn't look or feel natural. Again - I think slowing down some of these animations will fix a lot of the problems. Errant passes by User/CPU with a defender in the passing lane should at least be deflected or tipped, there are too many occasions where the AI doesn't even attempt a steal.Hopefully these are adjustments that can be made via the sliders they are implementing this year (finally!)

Ball Physics - the floatiness of the ball is still there. It's almost as if while the ball is in the air calculations are taking place to determine the outcome of what happens. Ball and rim interactions still need to be added.

Rebounding - the players still seem to randomly jump for rebounds without any regards to ball tracking and where they are in relation to the ball. This leads to awkward or out of place animations and unrealistic gameplay. Hopefully they have implemented some tip rebounds or deflections instead of what appears to be canned animations of a rebound with a player grabbing the ball and bringing it down.

Dribbling - the ball still seems to be too high in relation to player height for me on occasion. Combine that with the fact that it also tends to get too far out away from a player's body and it just looks weird. I think this happens a lot during full speed animations or depending on the type of crossover that's being used.

USER/CPU AI - I mentioned the passing lane issue above, but there are other aspects of the game that need polishing. Using the Draymond Green steal as an example in the video, with a clear fast break and Tristan Thompson running side-by-side randomly leaves the defender instead of stopping the ball. User just stops at the 3-point line (lol, painful to watch some people play these games) ... there are many other examples and this needs addressed. Maybe a slider for this to adjust accordingly?

Sliders - The purpose of sliders are to adjust the game to your liking and make it play even more sim-like. Hopefully these sliders actually impact the game. The sliders that NEED to be in the game are: Game speed, Animation speed, passing lane steals, passing lane deflections, USER/CPU AI, Shot success overall, on-ball defense, help defense, pick and roll strength, offensive awareness, defensive awareness, offensive rebounds, defensive rebounds. Any other sliders would be icing on the cake at this point, in my opinion.
Whats up Hoosier!

If its what i think it is from editing past lives you're going to need more sliders than that in specific areas....and coupled with synergy man it gets in the way IMO

A few guys can vouch for that like playmakers BiggD carnalnirvana..... we'll see though

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »