Home

What's your expectation for NBA Live 2020?

This is a discussion on What's your expectation for NBA Live 2020? within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-23-2019, 08:40 PM   #57
Rookie

HoustonHarden's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: What's your expectation for NBA Live 2020?

Quote:
Originally Posted by youvalss
Really hoping we get a new game, very curious about the progress they've made. Live 19 and especiallly 18 are among my top favorite NBA games ever.
You actually play the nba portions of the game or are they your favs because of created player modes ?
Old 10-24-2019, 07:57 AM   #58
MVP

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonHarden
You actually play the nba portions of the game or are they your favs because of created player modes ?

The NBA/Offline portion gets old because of how stale the AI is. If it was 5 v 5 with real nba players online, it would be a really good game.

I agree w/ dude. The more I think about it, the more I realize Live 18/19 are really good games. Even as they are, but they obviously could be better.

The 'feel' of the game surpasses other basketball games I've played. We just need (as i've said a bunch) more outcomes and more nuance.

The whole "Live is trash" meme is something I don't understand.

-Smak
Old 10-24-2019, 12:23 PM   #59
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Live is definitely not trash.

Like I said before it's a really solid game especially from a H2H standpoint.

It get's a lot of "It's Live" passes though.

If it was held to the same standard as other basketball games it'd fall short in a good amount of areas, especially on the NBA side.

Wish they could keep building upon what they have instead of continuously starting over. I think its slim to none that we even get a game this year.
Old 10-24-2019, 03:28 PM   #60
Greatest caddie ever!

youvalss's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonHarden
Only play the NBA portion offline. Actually went back to 18, and with edited rosters/sliders it's a great game.

When editing rosters I try to set the attributes realistically. For example, No player has Court Vision under 70, that's the minimun. Also no player has more than 90 rebounding and no creazy verticals for anyone, especially hig men, I don't want the crazy rebound animations or too many offensive boards. Also no more than 85 blocking, don't want to see too many crazy blocks. Even top blickers get 80-85.

It all helps to make for a realistic game. Spacing is amazing in 18. Go to the 19 impressions thread and read my posts.

ZX Spectrum
CPU: Z80 @ 3.5 MHz
GPU: Monochrome display
RAM: 48 KB
Old 10-24-2019, 03:59 PM   #61
MVP

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
It get's a lot of "It's Live" passes though.

If it was held to the same standard as other basketball games it'd fall short in a good amount of areas, especially on the NBA side.

Wish they could keep building upon what they have instead of continuously starting over. I think its slim to none that we even get a game this year.

I def think both games get it's... passes. Even people in streams say sigh (game name.) It's more of an issue of what is necessary and what is not. What do you want a bball game to be and what does it need to have in order to be a solid game? The fact that you can go PS4(or xbox) on to full lobby so quickly and play to me earns it some free passes.

True that NBA, esp franchise, is super wack, but it's always been. At least before the gameplay would make it fun, but now the AI is too stiff. Maybe with sliders it would work, but with how easy it is to get a 5v5 at any time except like 4am, i'd rather just play vs people (even if most of them quit.)

I absolutely agree with the second part though, and I don't understand it. Maybe it's a conspiracy. haha. It seems like everything is going well then it's not. I have hope 20 will come out in some form, but it doesn't make it less of a debacle.

But little things like (other than auto jumping which is annoying) rebounding being so much about boxing out more than ratings, the speed of outlet passes (in most cases, bullet pass aside) being balanced... those things make the game shine, but yea it's simplistic. The deepest interactions is dribbler vs defender outside. Seen some dudes lately that are really good at dribbling, step backs, and driving, and at that point they really roast people. Maybe not 3s, but they really get space in what seems like a realistic way.

At this point, my list of its Live things (haha cuz why not) is:

How you poke the ball and don't steal it so people stumble around with a live ball sometimes thru traffic.

Autoblocks inside.

Semi-strange ankle breaker occurrences, but maybe 85% of them are legit.

Cpu fouling on 3s.

Sometimes people miss really weird dunks, very rarely but it's really strange. Like they bounce the ball off the bottom of the rim or something in what seems like a money dunk.

And that's really it. I would like the ability to pump someone up and draw a foul, too, but Live handled that in a way that once someone is up you can just dunk on them or shoot over them. I tend to like fouls though.

Even the NBA side IMO FEELS good and looks good. It has all of the things I like about Live, but it's just the AI limits your options too much. The spacing is OK and all, it's easy to get thru lanes once you get in there, you can probably even get good Js off, but there is just some entry level flaw in how the AI behaves inorganically, and I dunno if that will ever be fixed. Not to mention how they will never be able to run proper offense vs someone who knows how to play D. That's probably even more of a fatal flaw.

But I could deal with it if the offense was more free flowing and fun.

-Smak
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-25-2019, 02:14 AM   #62
Old school

DaWolf's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Only play the NBA portion offline. Actually went back to 18, and with edited rosters/sliders it's a great game.

When editing rosters I try to set the attributes realistically. For example, No player has Court Vision under 70, that's the minimun. Also no player has more than 90 rebounding and no creazy verticals for anyone, especially hig men, I don't want the crazy rebound animations or too many offensive boards. Also no more than 85 blocking, don't want to see too many crazy blocks. Even top blickers get 80-85.

It all helps to make for a realistic game. Spacing is amazing in 18. Go to the 19 impressions thread and read my posts.

I also like 18 more than 19 and play it from time to time (spacing is awesome, shooting also).

Is there a way to download your settings?
Old 10-25-2019, 03:20 PM   #63
Greatest caddie ever!

youvalss's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaWolf
I also like 18 more than 19 and play it from time to time (spacing is awesome, shooting also).

Is there a way to download your settings?
If I get time, I will try to post my sliders at some point. But can't share rosters, what a shame. Even without editing tendencies you can still improve the gameplay with roster edits.

ZX Spectrum
CPU: Z80 @ 3.5 MHz
GPU: Monochrome display
RAM: 48 KB
Old 10-25-2019, 05:45 PM   #64
Banned

hoopsfan's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
If I get time, I will try to post my sliders at some point. But can't share rosters, what a shame. Even without editing tendencies you can still improve the gameplay with roster edits.
Yes, please share. I've been checking out your posts for quite some time and interested in the assessments you've given on the game. Some of us still play Live and do have love for it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »