Home

The 2020 New York Knicks: We Didn't Want Any Stars Anyway

This is a discussion on The 2020 New York Knicks: We Didn't Want Any Stars Anyway within the NBA Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball > NBA Official Team Threads
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-02-2019, 07:39 PM   #1
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44
The 2020 New York Knicks: We Didn't Want Any Stars Anyway

It's already time for another year of Knicks basketball. Time sure does fly...
  • We whiffed on signing a max free agent after dealing away Porzingis.
  • We signed every available free agent PF.
  • We actually got lucky--based on the math--and landed the #3 pick.
  • The FO was pretty shrewd in FA after we struck out, handing out a ton of short team option deals.

My biggest points of interest heading into the season.

1. Fiz has a lot to prove. His rotations were abysmal last year. Let's see what he does with a more veteran-laden roster. How does he balance development vs winning? He was awful at it last year even while we were tanking. We're crowded just about everywhere this season; Fiz has his work cut out for him.

2. Frank. Frank. Frank. I've been a believer since Day 1 with Frank and while my confidence has admittedly wavered a bit here and there I'm hoping we see a bit of a breakout year from him.

3. RJ. Highest Knicks pick since Ewing. I'm not overly excited about him. I think he's a low ceiling/high floor guy who can hopefully be good enough our starting SG for a long time. Maybe be a fringe All-Star type of player.

4. Knox & Mitch's development. Mitch showed a ton of promise last year, now it's time to show he can improve: cut out the dumb and lazy mistakes. Knox had a poor rookie year across the board but did show flashes.

I'm pretty excited about the season even though we won't make the playoffs. RJ, Mitch, Frank, and Knox should be fun to watch in terms of their growth.

Let's hear your predictions, guesses at the early rotation (lol good luck!), or anything else you want to add.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet

Last edited by ehh; 10-02-2019 at 07:42 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-02-2019, 07:49 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

NYJets's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: The 2020 New York Knicks: We Didn't Want Any Stars Anyway

I typially watch like 90% of the games despite how bad we are but last year couldn't do it, watched maybe like 10 games. So I'm excited this year we have nba players and multiple guys to see develop. Beyond that, who knows. Hope Frank gets a shot at pg and running the offense
Old 10-03-2019, 06:24 PM   #3
My Momma's Son

bigeastbumrush's Arena

OVR: 37

Completely unenthusiastic about the upcoming season. Not for any reason in particular. Probably because of all of the years of losing. I think it's finally gotten to me. I'm honestly not even that excited about the NBA season as a whole.

Really hope Mitch can make an even further leap and keep himself out of foul trouble while expanding his offensive game.

I'm someone who actually likes Knox (and still do). Hope he can become more efficient and confident. He has all the potential in the world and I'm tired of seeing the front office trading away young players who they drafted (I was against the first Tim Hardaway trade, the Shumpert trade, etc.).

RJ..I have no idea. He's been a winner his whole life. But he was also kind of bigger/stronger than most of his competition which appeared to make him seem more polished. Can't hide that in the pros. I expect a lot of 6/17 FG nights from him.

Hoping Dennis Smith actually takes a legit leap this year with his new shooting form and less weight. He needs to wake up and realize that highlight dunks aren't going to win games.

Fiz..huge question mark. Great motivator but he needs to rely on his assistants more often when it comes to rotations and situations coming out of timeouts. I feel he got flustered too often. I always remember him leaving THJr to guard Caris Levert instead of switching Frank on him which cost us a game last year. Those type of moments he hasn't shown he can handle.

Overall, I like the toughness and added rebounding and 3-point shooting. I dislike what is clearly going to happen with minutes/rotations.

Prediction: 25-57
Old 10-11-2019, 06:13 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 11

^ Agree with the above....another crappy season, but the Garden will be filled.
Old 10-15-2019, 04:05 PM   #5
MVP

Vast's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffx
Maybe we'll get the number 1 pick next year..... ugh... smh. Tyler Herro is looking good...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-17-2019, 10:51 AM   #6
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

I'm coming around on the idea of giving Barrett a lot of time at the "point" aka as the primary playmaker. Might as well see what he can do there and see how well he can develop his skills. This roster is woefully thin on playmakers. DSJ ain't it. Frank isn't either. Payton is solid. A backcourt of Frank & Barrett is intriguing and I'm glad Fiz stuck with it for quite a while last night.

We've played three preseason games I'm already sick of the long isos/post-ups with Morris and Randle. Are we really gonna feature Morris like he's an all-star?

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Old 10-18-2019, 10:00 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

aloncho11's Arena

OVR: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffx
They will improve though, it's a more rounded team and more fundamentally sound than last season.
Old 10-20-2019, 01:58 PM   #8
My Momma's Son

bigeastbumrush's Arena

OVR: 37

Woof..I know he’s coming off an injury but I sure was wrong about DSJ. He looked absolutely horrible to me. The worst of the PGs. Just start Frank for goodness sakes. At least we’ll have better defensive numbers and more flow of an offense since he doesn’t need the ball.

Hopefully we can draft Cole Anthony and put our every year PG problems behind us for good.

And I disagree slightly ehh about RJ.

I think he needs a PG on the floor until he gets acclimated..then give him the keys. Too much pressure for him right off the bat to control the offense. But those curl plays to get him to the hoop are money. He’s playing bigger than I thought he would.

Fiz is Fiz. Coaching for his job clearly. Mitch looks like he has regressed. What happened to him being able to score outside of the paint? Constantly switching him out of the lineup has to mess with his head. Yes he needs to stay out of foul trouble. But he needs to know that the starting job is his.

Although Ellington can shoot I’d rather have Trier getting that green light instead. Ellington won’t be around so why play this dude so much. I’d even want Dotson out there because at least he plays defense.

And please let Knox grow. This is getting stupid. I’m tired of Fiz’ rationale for his lack of coaching ability.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball > NBA Official Team Threads »