Home

Which version to get.,PS3 or Xbox360?

This is a discussion on Which version to get.,PS3 or Xbox360? within the NCAA Football Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-15-2010, 02:01 PM   #9
Rookie

Greatgazoo2's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Which version to get.,PS3 or Xbox360?

Agreed with all above. 360 is the way to go because Xbox Live, free or not, is FAR superior to PSN. It's a much more solid foundation, with a much bigger base of players for online dynasties, etc. That said, you already seem to be leaning toward the PS3 version, because you "Won't pay" for a definitely better product, i.e. Xbox Live. In that case, if you plan to play online, and PS3 is what you use online, that's what you should get.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:02 PM   #10
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

big - yeah ps3 online may be free but it's a terribly slow, lagfilled (usually), incoherent mess. There are no voice party chats, the sending messages is wonky and ill conceived and games tend to use a walkie-talky, push-this-button scheme to talk. Sure MS charges for Xbox Live but for the discounted price of a game I'll take their fast, lag-free system that is simple and convenient to use any day.

I hope i'm not coming across as a fanboy because aside from the online aspect of Xbox Live I think I like just about everything else better about the PS3. As for graphics, I meant games like God of War. You won't ever see that level of graphics and sound on the Xbox IMO.

I also do like the controller for the PS3 better for sports game. But in general I go with this formula:

1. Do I want to play online? Yes=> Xbox 360 No=>Go to question 2
2. Is it an EA game? Yes=>Xbox 360 No=Go to question 3
3. Get the PS3 version
Old 07-15-2010, 02:13 PM   #11
Rookie

Greatgazoo2's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
big - yeah ps3 online may be free but it's a terribly slow, lagfilled (usually), incoherent mess. There are no voice party chats, the sending messages is wonky and ill conceived and games tend to use a walkie-talky, push-this-button scheme to talk. Sure MS charges for Xbox Live but for the discounted price of a game I'll take their fast, lag-free system that is simple and convenient to use any day.

I hope i'm not coming across as a fanboy because aside from the online aspect of Xbox Live I think I like just about everything else better about the PS3. As for graphics, I meant games like God of War. You won't ever see that level of graphics and sound on the Xbox IMO.

I also do like the controller for the PS3 better for sports game. But in general I go with this formula:

1. Do I want to play online? Yes=> Xbox 360 No=>Go to question 2
2. Is it an EA game? Yes=>Xbox 360 No=Go to question 3
3. Get the PS3 version
That sounds very much like my logic. Anything to play online has to be on the 360 instead of PS3, while for sheer graphic beautifiablenessly awesomeness (yep, just made that up) it's PS3 for the most part. I was a Store Manager for Gamestop for years and I've always gotten a kick out of the "I'm not paying for live" argument, because it's usually someone that's never seen the true difference it makes. The amount of effort, support, backbone, etc needed to run a real online service like live is worth the money because of things like the group voice chat, etc. Sorry, didn't mean to turn this into a "should I pay for live" thing...to get back on topic, he seems pretty made up already to get the PS3 version, so not real sure why the long thread LOL
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-15-2010, 02:15 PM   #12
Rookie

aimiami's Arena

OVR: 21

which ever system your friends have is what i go by
Minnestoa Vikings
cubs, rays
01 Miami
http://www.easports.com/teambuilder#...442:1245035641
check out my other teams
http://www.easports.com/teambuilder#...:1;web:1;sku:2
Old 07-15-2010, 04:08 PM   #13
Banned

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbisont
As far as online goes, I thought my intention was pretty clear. PS3 online is free. The xbox online play costs money (in the form of 'Live'). So i buy games i intend to play online for the PS3 and enjoy the feature for free.

As far as graphics being better on the ps3 for 'other' games, eh, i wouldnt say its to a degree i notice or stress over. But the wife baught me the xbox when we were dating and she likes when i enjoy it (and hates the "ugly black thing" as she assumed my buying it meant i didnt like her gift... CHICKS! what can you do?...)

So like i said, my system works for me.
I'm sure you have a reasonable explanation for this, but it just strikes me as strange that a person willing to shell out money for 2 game systems would balk at paying $50 for Xbox Live. Have you ever tried Xbox Live?

I have both systems, and I bought the Xbox version. Nowadays, I just use my PS3 for watching Blu-ray movies and playing PS3-only games. I like the Xbox controller better and the online experience is superior. One year, (I think 2009), I bought the PS3 version of NCAA only to find out after the fact that it had a slower framerate than the 360 version. That's not the case anymore, but it seems like every year there is still some minor bug or quirk that is exclusive to the PS3.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:31 PM   #14
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull n Pray
I'm sure you have a reasonable explanation for this, but it just strikes me as strange that a person willing to shell out money for 2 game systems would balk at paying $50 for Xbox Live. Have you ever tried Xbox Live?

I have both systems, and I bought the Xbox version. Nowadays, I just use my PS3 for watching Blu-ray movies and playing PS3-only games. I like the Xbox controller better and the online experience is superior. One year, (I think 2009), I bought the PS3 version of NCAA only to find out after the fact that it had a slower framerate than the 360 version. That's not the case anymore, but it seems like every year there is still some minor bug or quirk that is exclusive to the PS3.
I actually dont doubt that. If you reread my very first response citing my reasons, you will see I tipped a hat to the amazing reports of the quality of xbox live, but the principle...vexes me. So i wouldnt say im "balking at the price" at all.

Just lots of little reasons (ease of online use, comfort of controllers, keeping wife from feeling insulted)and its all a juggling debacle. But as ive said twice before, it suits my needs and the system works for me. I dont have the time to fully appreciate the subtleties that make Live so great anyways...maybe im just getting old? - sigh -
Old 07-15-2010, 04:36 PM   #15
t3g
Rookie

t3g's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbisont
As far as online goes, I thought my intention was pretty clear. PS3 online is free. The xbox online play costs money (in the form of 'Live'). So i buy games i intend to play online for the PS3 and enjoy the feature for free.

As far as graphics being better on the ps3 for 'other' games, eh, i wouldnt say its to a degree i notice or stress over. But the wife baught me the xbox when we were dating and she likes when i enjoy it (and hates the "ugly black thing" as she assumed my buying it meant i didnt like her gift... CHICKS! what can you do?...)

So like i said, my system works for me.
PS3 online may not be free forever with Playstation Plus coming out: http://kotaku.com/5575419/what-do-yo...aystation-plus
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-15-2010, 05:08 PM   #16
Banned

OVR: 9

bigbisont, I guess what I was asking is why did you buy the PS3 to begin with? I'd assume it was for an exclusive you really wanted or because you planned to use it as a blu-ray player. From your description, it sounded as if the primary purpose for your PS3 is for playing online games you could be playing on Xbox Live. Surely, you didn't pay 300-400 dollars for a 2nd game system just so you wouldn't have to pay $50 per year for Xbox Live? If that is why you bought it, then I would suggest you let your wife make all future financial decisions. But like I said, I'm sure you have a reasonable explanation.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Rosters »