Home

An Open “Letter” to All Roster Editors/Updaters

This is a discussion on An Open “Letter” to All Roster Editors/Updaters within the NCAA Football Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-14-2015, 08:14 PM   #9
Pro

OVR: 3
Re: An Open “Letter” to All Roster Editors/Updaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick04
I dont agree, I think the higher ratings should stay. If the guy is Good/Great then he should be rated as such, and it is a college game… this isn't Madden. College has a lot more players than the NFL and there are a lot more that are considered "Elite" in college than in the NFL. For them to truly have an affect on the game as they do in real life they need to be rated high. Look at Manziel for instance, you play him on a default roster he's an average joe, you rank him in the mid-higher 90s and he plays like he actually did in real life at A&M.

To the OP: I doubt many roster makers will do this, i think it would cause a lot of friction in the roster community. I think its pretty safe to just leave the ratings the way they are at the end of the previous year for returning players, use the star rating system for incoming freshman that many use, and to just let the user change the ratings for the players they see fit. I always re-rate myself any way.
Does everyone realize that what I am suggesting is an OVR overall distribution that is the same as that found on the game's default roster? If this distribtion worked for the default roster why would it be bad for edited/updated rosters? I think the fact that several people think the numbers on my table are low shows how far away the edited/updated rosters are from the default roster.

Last edited by Warren Piecee; 02-15-2015 at 11:46 AM.
Old 02-14-2015, 08:20 PM   #10
Pro

Quote:
I think its pretty safe to just leave the ratings the way they are at the end of the previous year for returning players
If this were done, and freshman were not given inflated OVRs, the resulting rosters woud end up a great deal closer to the OVR distribition on the default roster. I am not aware that this is being done.
Old 02-14-2015, 08:28 PM   #11
Rookie

Maverick04's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Piecee
If this were done, and freshman were not given inflated OVRs, the resulting rosters woud end up a great deal closer to the OVR distribition on the default roster. I am not aware that this is being done.
If it was about only rating distribution then you shouldn't have brought up NFL drafts,etc, because that doesn't matter a lick of what he does in college. I think the distribution should stay high considering there are more good-elite players in college than there are in the NFL.

Ive played on edited and default and the edited rosters (which i put a lot more time into ratings than most people) plays way more realistically and fluently than the default but thats my opinion.

This was meant to quote your other post*

Last edited by Maverick04; 02-14-2015 at 08:34 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-14-2015, 08:31 PM   #12
Rookie

Maverick04's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Piecee
Most roster makers i know keep the ratings from their final update for the returning players, only giving slight bumps to the obvious players. I know a lot of rosters makers don't mess with ratings other than recruits and say "you can rerate them yourself" lol which I prefer it that way.

People use bases to cut down on the workload, I don't know many people that reset to default and start from scratch. Ratings make the release for a roster twice as long. People don't want to wait to mid/end season to finally start playing an accurate game.

I mean can you really have 4* star guys come in being 60 something overalls and really make an impact even on default rosters? Redshirting is becoming a lost art now because of so many people leaving early for the NFL. Usually the higher recruits in dynasty recruiting are a 75-83. By most systems used 4-5 stars are rated around that same number

Last edited by Maverick04; 02-14-2015 at 09:18 PM.
Old 02-14-2015, 10:03 PM   #13
Pro

Quote:
If it was about only rating distribution then you shouldn't have brought up NFL drafts,etc, because that doesn't matter a lick of what he does in college. I think the distribution should stay high considering there are more good-elite players in college than there are in the NFL.

Ive played on edited and default and the edited rosters (which i put a lot more time into ratings than most people) plays way more realistically and fluently than the default but thats my opinion.

This was meant to quote your other post*
The reason why the draft figures in is because it allows for an objective standard to rate players and ensure that you can end up with approximatiely the same nunber of players with OVRs between 95 and 99, 90 and 94, 85 and 80, etc. as can be found on the game's default roster. I think in order to give my ideas fair consideration one needs to be familiar with my earlier thread “USING DRAFT RESULTS/MOCK DRAFTS FOR OVRS” (See: USING DRAFT RESULTS/MOCK DRAFTS FOR OVRS) I did not want to retype everything I wrote in the earlier thread in this one.

Last edited by Warren Piecee; 02-14-2015 at 10:39 PM.
Old 02-14-2015, 10:20 PM   #14
Pro

Quote:
Most roster makers i know keep the ratings from their final update for the returning players, only giving slight bumps to the obvious players. I know a lot of rosters makers don't mess with ratings other than recruits and say "you can rerate them yourself" lol which I prefer it that way.

People use bases to cut down on the workload, I don't know many people that reset to default and start from scratch. Ratings make the release for a roster twice as long. People don't want to wait to mid/end season to finally start playing an accurate game.

I mean can you really have 4* star guys come in being 60 something overalls and really make an impact even on default rosters? Redshirting is becoming a lost art now because of so many people leaving early for the NFL. Usually the higher recruits in dynasty recruiting are a 75-83. By most systems used 4-5 stars are rated around that same number
We must be playing with different rosters. The rosters I have played with and edited/updated for the OS community have all factored in player progession just as happens in dynasty mode. When I read you comment about a "reset to default" I realized that I have done a bad job of explaining myself. When I wrote of the default roster I only had in mind the overall number of players who had certain OVRs. We are now two years removed from the default roster and so the ratings of individual players has nothing to do with my point.

Any feshman who comes in with an OVR of at least 70 and red shirts is going to end up with an OVR of at least 90 by the time he graduates. This means way too many when compared to the default roster.

The fact that in 2014 so many players leave college early for the NFL is not a mitigating factor because in the video game it is far too easy to persuade a player to stay in school and finish his degree. What's more, in dynasty mode AI controlled teams will still red shirt players regardless of how realistic this it is.

Last edited by Warren Piecee; 02-15-2015 at 11:45 AM.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:22 AM   #15
Pro

OVR: 6
Smile Re: An Open “Letter” to All Roster Editors/Updaters

I agree with the opening post. I have played extensively with some of Carl's old time rosters which are rated similar to the idea of the opening post and I can confirm that the game play is outstanding.

On a side note, I would also like to compliment the people who have been expressing their opinions on this thread for having a disagreement in a respectable and appropriate manner. It is refreshing to see arguments based on logic that are not contaminated by personal insults and allegations of stupidity etc.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-15-2015, 11:32 AM   #16
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzoutiger
I agree with the opening post. I have played extensively with some of Carl's old time rosters which are rated similar to the idea of the opening post and I can confirm that the game play is outstanding.

On a side note, I would also like to compliment the people who have been expressing their opinions on this thread for having a disagreement in a respectable and appropriate manner. It is refreshing to see arguments based on logic that are not contaminated by personal insults and allegations of stupidity etc.
Thank you for your comments. I also feel we should all be able to disagree while still being respectful and not insulting eachother.

Last edited by Warren Piecee; 02-15-2015 at 11:32 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Rosters »