Home

FRESHMAN sliders - Is it possible?

This is a discussion on FRESHMAN sliders - Is it possible? within the NCAA Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-29-2007, 04:12 PM   #9
Rookie

bvickers223's Arena

OVR: 1
Thumbs down Re: FRESHMAN sliders - Is it possible?

Final Score: TTU 42, Cal 32

TTU

Total Offense 449 yds.
1st Downs 19
Rushing 18 att. 57 yds. 3.2 ypc. 1 td
Passing 29/37 392 yds. 4 td 0 ints
Fumbles/Lost 4/3
Sacked 2

Cal

Total Offense 397 yds.
1st Downs 12
Rushing 28 att. 139 yds. 5.0 ypc. 2 td
Passing 14/21 258 yds. 2 td 2 ints
Fumbles/Lost 0/0
Sacked 0

The stats may be somewhat misleading. This looks like a competitve game. And it was, for the most part. But that may be attributed to the fact that I was experimenting with several things during the game, that probably let them stay in the game. I felt like I could complete a pass at any time. If it weren't for my three fumbles and the first drive with QB ACC at 0, I would have scored TDs on every possession.

With QB ACC at 5 passes could be completed with ease (aside from the occasional off target throw), but the ball would never go more than 25-30 yds down field. But if the QB ACC was increased at all past 5 it would be FAR too easy to pick apart the D.

I can already see that this experiment is a failure. I normally wouldn't give up after just one game, but ultimately its a lost cause at this level because there are just some things that cannot be fixed with sliders. If nothing else this would be a level to play if you wanted some high scoring games, but as I suspected it was just too easy on Freshman.

I am still holding out hope that Varsity can be made to work.

Back to the drawing board...
Old 07-30-2007, 11:17 AM   #10
Gimme the Oscar, Friendo.

Chief Illinimac's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: FRESHMAN sliders - Is it possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvickers223
Final Score: TTU 42, Cal 32

TTU

Total Offense 449 yds.
1st Downs 19
Rushing 18 att. 57 yds. 3.2 ypc. 1 td
Passing 29/37 392 yds. 4 td 0 ints
Fumbles/Lost 4/3
Sacked 2

Cal

Total Offense 397 yds.
1st Downs 12
Rushing 28 att. 139 yds. 5.0 ypc. 2 td
Passing 14/21 258 yds. 2 td 2 ints
Fumbles/Lost 0/0
Sacked 0

The stats may be somewhat misleading. This looks like a competitve game. And it was, for the most part. But that may be attributed to the fact that I was experimenting with several things during the game, that probably let them stay in the game. I felt like I could complete a pass at any time. If it weren't for my three fumbles and the first drive with QB ACC at 0, I would have scored TDs on every possession.

With QB ACC at 5 passes could be completed with ease (aside from the occasional off target throw), but the ball would never go more than 25-30 yds down field. But if the QB ACC was increased at all past 5 it would be FAR too easy to pick apart the D.

I can already see that this experiment is a failure. I normally wouldn't give up after just one game, but ultimately its a lost cause at this level because there are just some things that cannot be fixed with sliders. If nothing else this would be a level to play if you wanted some high scoring games, but as I suspected it was just too easy on Freshman.

I am still holding out hope that Varsity can be made to work.

Back to the drawing board...
You realize you played a game with two powerhouse offensive programs, right?

Currently:
Asilos Magdalena by The Mars Volta
LOST Theme
The Rain Song by Led Zeppelin
Rage Against the Machine Acoustic Medley

Old 07-30-2007, 12:43 PM   #11
Rookie

bvickers223's Arena

I wouldn't necessarily call TTU a "powerhouse" but okay, two teams from BCS conferences. I'm not sure how that matters. A game between two somewhat evenly matched teams is what is important. If it's Troy vs North Texas will that mean my receivers won't be running free in the middle of the field and I will not be able to score at will? I could see where playing as a so-called "powerhouse" vs a much weaker team would impact the results, but I'm not seeing your point.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-30-2007, 03:24 PM   #12
MVP

OVR: 12

TTU may not be a real life powerhouse but their offense is realllly explosive. Same with California's.

Use someone else is probably what DeeForThree meant. Someone who's less explosive on offense.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:07 PM   #13
Banned

GoDevilsASU's Arena

OVR: 3

In 2006:

Cal finished ranked # 19 (out of 119) in passing yards.
TTU finished ranked # 2 in passing yards.

Cal finished ranked # 11 in points scored.
TTU finished ranked # 13 in point scored.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/sortab...6&sort=passyds

Here's a suggestion for your experiment, try playing Syracus vs. Illinois.
Syracuse finished ranked #106 in passing an Illinois finished #107 in '06. I realize there are new players on this years team, but how much could either team improve? Might be a good match-up to test your passing experiment.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/sortab...6&sort=passyds
Old 07-30-2007, 05:02 PM   #14
Gimme the Oscar, Friendo.

Chief Illinimac's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvickers223
I wouldn't necessarily call TTU a "powerhouse" but okay, two teams from BCS conferences. I'm not sure how that matters. A game between two somewhat evenly matched teams is what is important. If it's Troy vs North Texas will that mean my receivers won't be running free in the middle of the field and I will not be able to score at will? I could see where playing as a so-called "powerhouse" vs a much weaker team would impact the results, but I'm not seeing your point.
I guess "powerhouse" was a bad choice of words, but all I meant is that those teams are usually offensive minded and powerful, but have relatively mediocre defenses. The game being close was a good thing I thought, but the shootout was also expected because of the offensive abilities of the two teams you chose. As GoDevils said, try two defensive teams. Illinois vs Syracuse would be a good one since they both did quite poorly passing last year. If you see a shootout there, then maybe freshman is not the way to go.

Currently:
Asilos Magdalena by The Mars Volta
LOST Theme
The Rain Song by Led Zeppelin
Rage Against the Machine Acoustic Medley

Old 07-30-2007, 05:32 PM   #15
Rookie

bvickers223's Arena

Okay, I see your point. As far as the stats go, I think that looking at the defensive numbers would be more important. What I may try is a team that has poor passing offense against a team with a tough pass defense and see what happens.

On that note, I looked to see what happened when Cal and Tech played in the 2004 Holiday Bowl. I knew it was pretty high scoring. It was 45-31 Tech, so the game was pretty close to accurate as far as that goes, though, like one of the other posters said, the teams have changed but their offensive philosophies haven't.

I am going to play a game with a mismatch to see how drastic the difference is. I will play as Illinois vs Wisconsin. Here is a run down of how their pass offense/defense match up, based on last year's statistics:

Wisconsin
#2 Ranked Pass Def.
(opp. statistics)
185/387 47.8% 1798 yds. 6 TDs 15 INTs 138.3 ypg

Illinois
#105 Ranked Pass Off.
140/332 42.2% 1878 yds. 11 TDs 14 INTs 156.5 ypg

Illinois completion % was by FAR the lowest in the nation, and their starting QB for this season, Juice Williams, personal comp. % was 39.5. In the test game I will not use Williams rushing ability to my advantage. Judging by his numbers, it should be very difficult to complete a pass with QB ACC at 5.

I will post the results.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-30-2007, 05:51 PM   #16
Rookie

bvickers223's Arena

Bad sign... Illinois returns the opening kickoff 87 yds for a TD.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Sliders »