Home

CPU vs CPU slider testing

This is a discussion on CPU vs CPU slider testing within the NCAA Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-08-2010, 09:18 AM   #1
Rookie

dpmx21's Arena

OVR: 5
CPU vs CPU slider testing

Version 1.0
DIFFICULTY-VARSITY
SLOW SPEED
PLAYER SPEED THRESHOLD-25
ALL PENALTIES MAXED ACCEPT HOLDING-50, CLIPPING-50 AND FACE MASK-50
8 MINUTE QTR's
USING Oraeon1224's COACH PHILOSOPHY SLIDERS
CPU/USER SLIDERS ALL DEFAULT
Results after watching 7 games in Dynasty mode
Spoiler

After testing these out, the fumbles lost stat seemed a little high to me so for the next version I increased the running back ability slider to 65. Not sure if this affects fumbles or not btw. Also the total pancakes per game were thrown off by Bama's 98-7 slaughter over SJSU. I increased the pass blocking slider to 65 also. I lowered field goal power to 5 and increased punt accuracy to 75. The CPU was attempting 55+ yarders on a fairly regular basis. Haven't seen a good coffin corner punt in any of these sims, so hopefully the increase will help. Along with these I increased pass rushing to 55, interceptions to 55, and tackling to 65. There were quite a few missed tackles during these sims. Ohio State obliterated Marshall 80-3 with 350+ rushing yards. I couldn't believe the cpu just kept putting the points on these poor teams. I've simmed cpu/cpu for a while but these huge wins just seem so unrealistic. I'll post the scores and stats from the other 5 games when I get the chance.

Version 1.1
DIFFICULTY-ALL AMERICAN
NORMAL SPEED
PLAYER SPEED THRESHOLD-15
ALL PENALTIES MAXED ACCEPT HOLDING-50, CLIPPING-50 AND FACE MASK-50
7 MINUTE QTR's
USING Oraeon1224's COACH PHILOSOPHY SLIDERS

OFFENSIVE SLIDERS
QBA-50/50
PASS BLOCK-65/65
WR CATCH-50/50
RBA-65/65
RUN BLOCK-50/50

DEFENSIVE SLIDERS
PASS COVERAGE-50/50
PASS RUSH-55/55
INT-55/55
RUSH DEFENSE-50/50
TACKLE-65/65

SPECIAL TEAM SLIDERS

FG Power-5/5
FG Accuarcy-50/50
Punt Power-50/50
Punt Accuarcy-75/75
Kick Off Length-50/50

Results after simming 7 more games in Dynasty Mode.
Spoiler

Well the game speed seems to make a huge difference. There were almost 20 less plays per game using this set. Definitely reverting back to slow speed and 8 minute quarters. The total ints per game doubled and the fumbles lost dropped 0.85 per game. Satisfied with the decrease in fumbles lost but the ints have to go back down. I have to fix the pancakes. They were practically non existant. I'm going to lower the pass rush slider and raise pass block to see what that does. I'm gonna lower ints back down to 50. The super long field goal attempts have slowed down quite a bit, but there's still been no coffin corner punts. If anybody has any suggestions please SUGGEST lol!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2010, 09:48 PM   #2
Rookie

dpmx21's Arena

Re: CPU vs CPU slider testing

Major updates coming tomorrow evening for you CPU/CPU guys!
Old 08-12-2010, 04:46 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpmx21
Major updates coming tomorrow evening for you CPU/CPU guys!
Cool, Dp. I've used your initial sliders and was getting some good results. I like your approach to finding accurate sliders. If you need any help I don't mind testing some games for you with the new ones that you come up with.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:10 PM   #4
Rookie

dpmx21's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by cneuy3
Cool, Dp. I've used your initial sliders and was getting some good results. I like your approach to finding accurate sliders. If you need any help I don't mind testing some games for you with the new ones that you come up with.
Thanks man! Any and all help is appreciated. I'm pretty satisfied with the sliders so far. I went to cfbstats.com and copied down some stats from the 2009 season from the ACC, BIG 12, BIG TEN, BIG EAST, PAC 10, and SEC. I added them all together and got an average for each stat. These stats are the stats I want to see before I'm satisfied with these sliders.
Spoiler

Now here is version 1.2 of the sliders.
Spoiler

Now here are the results after 8 games using Version 1.2. Not bad but not great by any means. The +/- next to each stat is the comparison to the 2009 statistics I posted earlier.
Spoiler

Here is version 1.3.
Spoiler

Results after 8 games using Version 1.3.
Spoiler

If I can manage to bring the passing yards back down and the rushing yards up a bit, I will be happy with the sliders. The passing yards in the Bama/Arkansas game were through the roof. Almost 900 total in that game. I'm very happy with the turnover ratio and completion % so far as well. If anybody has anything to add please feel free. Hope you guys try these out and try to enjoy them. Thanks!

Last edited by dpmx21; 08-12-2010 at 07:12 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:01 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpmx21
Thanks man! Any and all help is appreciated. I'm pretty satisfied with the sliders so far. I went to cfbstats.com and copied down some stats from the 2009 season from the ACC, BIG 12, BIG TEN, BIG EAST, PAC 10, and SEC. I added them all together and got an average for each stat. These stats are the stats I want to see before I'm satisfied with these sliders.
Spoiler

Now here is version 1.2 of the sliders.
Spoiler

Now here are the results after 8 games using Version 1.2. Not bad but not great by any means. The +/- next to each stat is the comparison to the 2009 statistics I posted earlier.
Spoiler

Here is version 1.3.
Spoiler

Results after 8 games using Version 1.3.
Spoiler

If I can manage to bring the passing yards back down and the rushing yards up a bit, I will be happy with the sliders. The passing yards in the Bama/Arkansas game were through the roof. Almost 900 total in that game. I'm very happy with the turnover ratio and completion % so far as well. If anybody has anything to add please feel free. Hope you guys try these out and try to enjoy them. Thanks!
Ok.

I'm pretty sure the tackling slider ties is to the defensive players ability to pursue the ball carrier once he has the ball. In most the the NCAA versions with CPU Vs CPU games you run into the problems of having to many tackles for loss in your simmed games. This is usually solved by dumbing down the tackle slider. If you start noticing too many broken tackles or a lack of fumbles then I would dumb down your running ability slider as well.

Also, have you experimented using 50 speed threshold on normal? I have a opinion that the way it came out of the box is probably the best way to start setting up your CPU sliders. For instance.....in just with the pancakes. If you put everything on default varsity, normal speed, and whatever proper quarter length gives you the NCAA average in plays.....you'll notice teams actually put up a handful of pancakes.

However, If you make a simple adjustment and put the game speed to Slow upping the quarter length in proportion, for whatever reason you'll notice the pancakes disappear.

That's why even though I believe slow looks better on field it's best to go with normal.

Just curious on your reasons for changing the speed threshold. I've read other posts mentioning reasons for doing this, increased seperation, etc. which might be viable in play mode but our goal as CPU Vs CPU simmers should be mainly to have it looked like a reasonable game of football with the closest comparable stats possible to the sim engine.

Is it possible this low speed threshold is is a main reason for your high passing numbers? Possibly even a reason for your low rushing numbers as the speedsters on the defense on reacting and accelerating to the ball carrier much faster than intended on the default setting.

Anyway..I'm rambling. I'll try some things with your sliders and get back to you.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2010, 06:16 PM   #6
Rookie

Actually, I'm going to stand corrected as your stats clearly show pancakes are attainable on slow speed.

Anyway....Overall that is the hardest part to get right when trying to get accurate CPU Vs CPU game.

It's all about the combination of sliders that produce accurate game flow down in the trenches while for the sim engines sake and stat junkies, hopefully giving us a few pancakes as well.

So try and focus on that cause that is the hardest part....IMO

these points-

-fewer tackles for losses
-broken tackles equal to that of the sim engines
-accurate QB pressure and sack stats
-hopefully some pancakes for the stat junkies
-accurate RB yards per carry(which if you get the tackles for losses down to match the sim engines should equate to more realistic looking run game as opposed to a bunch of 1 or 2 yard carries, few 1 or 2 yard losses, and big 10+ yard gain. We should see more 3 to 7 yard carries.

Granted I haven't tried your sliders out yet but I'm assuming if you are struggling to get high enough rushing yards It's probably because of that. i'm sure you've probably double checked to make sure the backs are getting enough carries per game....it must be because they are getting stopped in the backfield too often or getting too many break even or 1 yard gains. At least that is usually the case with NCAA games.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:17 PM   #7
Rookie

dpmx21's Arena

To be honest with you man, I have been using 25 speed threshold or lower ever since the slider was available. Speed is such a huge factor in football, and this slider makes it possible to take advantage of it. Now that you have mentioned it though, I am definitely gonna take it back up to 50 and start testing again. Thanks for you input bro. After you try these out, let me know what you think I should change.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:15 PM   #8
Rookie

dpmx21's Arena

Taking a small break from testing maddaen sliders so I can resume testing with NCAA. Testing g is under way. Results tomorrow or possibly later tonight.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Sliders »