Home

RBA Ability: Discussion

This is a discussion on RBA Ability: Discussion within the NCAA Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-26-2011, 11:35 PM   #1
No Place Better

BenGerman's Arena

OVR: 27
RBA Ability: Discussion

After messing around with a few different slider sets, and most recently over to Matt's Zero Based, I'm wondering why anyone would even bother boost or diminish the RBA Slider for either the CPU or Human. It creates an unfair, and unrealistic interpretation of the running game. For instance, I just played a game with UF, and having the RBA Slider knocked down significantly, Demps was slower than anyone on the field.

So my question to the slider makers, and slider users, what is the point of the RBA slider? It seems to me that all it does is raise or lower the Running Backs speed. Why not just boost Rush Blocking? Or knock down the opposing Rush Defense?

Gamertag (Xbox One): Bengerman 1031
PSN Name: BadNewsBen

Twitter: @BadNewsBenV
Twitch: www.Twitch.TV/Bengerman10
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2011, 11:48 PM   #2
Pro

Bullet Sponge's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: RBA Ability: Discussion

I don't mess with the Human RBA Slider for the reason you specify, but I'll typically lower blocking a bit to maybe 35 or 40.

I haven't experimented with the RBA Slider for the CPU yet this year, as I'm already finding he runs pretty well, but last year it did more than adjust speed. It adjusted his ability to break tackles too, but MOST importantly it made him a better runner by using more jukes. I had him cranked to 80 last year and it felt about right. Might get there again this year but it's too early to tell.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:58 PM   #3
No Place Better

BenGerman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Sponge
I don't mess with the Human RBA Slider for the reason you specify, but I'll typically lower blocking a bit to maybe 35 or 40.

I haven't experimented with the RBA Slider for the CPU yet this year, as I'm already finding he runs pretty well, but last year it did more than adjust speed. It adjusted his ability to break tackles too, but MOST importantly it made him a better runner by using more jukes. I had him cranked to 80 last year and it felt about right. Might get there again this year but it's too early to tell.
Yeah, I'm liking the Heisman run game right around default. If I could find the sweet spot for QBA & Pass Coverage, this game would be perfect for me.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:02 AM   #4
Hall Of Fame

Jarodd21's Arena

OVR: 42

I really don't see the speed difference(I have the CPUs at 100). It seems like it helped there ability to read holes and make the right cuts and it also helped them in the option game. When I had it at 50 there reaction to running the ball seemed terrible. But it doesn't help out the bum teams with bad backs. I still crush them with ease but it definitely helps there ability to read the hole.. I kept the USER RB ability at 50 and got the CPUs rush defense at 100. I don't see any speed difference because I take it to the house very often..
Old 07-27-2011, 12:59 AM   #5
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

OVR: 23

RBA Slider is critical to the run game.

It not only adjusts the speed of the backs, it adjusts the ability to break tackles, perform shifty moves/jukes.

I Don't really feel like defending my sliders, but because it was brought up the reason I have RBA at a low value is because the tackling value is at a lower value. This creates a balance because I took tackling down because WR catch was low - notice how everything is a chain reaction? Wonder why I have WRC lower than 50? Because QBA is at 0, I don't want random unrealistic catches. Balance.

People who think sliders are unecessary or feel that nothing makes a difference don't seem to understand that if you change one value, it means something else has to be modified. Balance.

You can't just change on value, hope it changes - then get upset because it didn't improve your game. (Not to mention, don't judge sliders based on one game, it takes at least 5 games to see a pattern).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2011, 05:37 AM   #6
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

I personally feel the RBs have been neutered in NCAA 12. The juke, stiff arm and truck move are fairly ineffective imo. The cpu RB definitely needs a boost in the RBA department because of this imo. But it is tough to find the right spot.

Everyone that runs with the ball, including WRs after the catch, will get boosts in all their physical attributes if you boost RBA. Not only will they juke, spin and break tackles more (need to raise the tackle slider as you raise the cpu RBA) but they do get faster. I don't like raising the cpu RBA much past 65 because then you start to see 80 speed RBs out running 90 speed safeties.

Whether you raise the run block slider or the RBA slider is up to you. I view the run block slider as affecting the consistency of a ground game (affects basic run plays and outcomes) while the RBA affects the number of big plays more. Raising the run block slider will reduce negative runs and create a more consistent ground game. If your average run is only 2-3 ypc you might want to boost run block. If you are getting 5-6 yards every time you run I-formation ISO then maybe you should drop run block. If you aren't seeing any long runs then you need to raise the RBA to account for that. If you are seeing too many long runs then you need to drop it.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:03 AM   #7
No Place Better

BenGerman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt10
RBA Slider is critical to the run game.

It not only adjusts the speed of the backs, it adjusts the ability to break tackles, perform shifty moves/jukes.

I Don't really feel like defending my sliders, but because it was brought up the reason I have RBA at a low value is because the tackling value is at a lower value. This creates a balance because I took tackling down because WR catch was low - notice how everything is a chain reaction? Wonder why I have WRC lower than 50? Because QBA is at 0, I don't want random unrealistic catches. Balance.

People who think sliders are unecessary or feel that nothing makes a difference don't seem to understand that if you change one value, it means something else has to be modified. Balance.

You can't just change on value, hope it changes - then get upset because it didn't improve your game. (Not to mention, don't judge sliders based on one game, it takes at least 5 games to see a pattern).
Matt, I by no means meant to offend you, I hope this isn't the case. I have now played 3 games with your sliders and the overall feel is great, I was only wondering about the RBA. This is the case for everyone, not just yours. I by no means am judging your sliders, and I don't think I said anything negative about this in my OP. In fact, they are probably ones I am going to end up using for my Online Dynasty. Sorry about that.

The reason I bring up RBA, and I have already mentioned this, is because I'd rather not have to slow down or speed up the Running Backs in order to get a realistic game. Will I do it if I have to? Sure, I wasn't aware that was the case. So I asked, and wondered how other people felt about it.

Last edited by BenGerman; 07-27-2011 at 11:07 AM.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:52 AM   #8
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenGerman
Matt, I by no means meant to offend you, I hope this isn't the case. I have now played 3 games with your sliders and the overall feel is great, I was only wondering about the RBA. This is the case for everyone, not just yours. I by no means am judging your sliders, and I don't think I said anything negative about this in my OP. In fact, they are probably ones I am going to end up using for my Online Dynasty. Sorry about that.

The reason I bring up RBA, and I have already mentioned this, is because I'd rather not have to slow down or speed up the Running Backs in order to get a realistic game. Will I do it if I have to? Sure, I wasn't aware that was the case. So I asked, and wondered how other people felt about it.
No offense taken, I just didn't want it turn into a slider bashing that stems out of context.

Ive heard good things from those who put speed @ normal. I just like the slow speed for the gameplay seems less twitchy and arcade like.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Sliders »