Home

Keep AI pass coverage sliders at 50

This is a discussion on Keep AI pass coverage sliders at 50 within the NCAA Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-19-2011, 02:42 AM   #1
Stay thirsty my friends

goalieump413's Arena

OVR: 12
Keep AI pass coverage sliders at 50

I have reason to believe (not fully tested yet) that there's something wacky going on in the game that automatically is resetting the AI pass coverage to "default mind-reading" after every quarter or change of possession. I was fiddling with the AI pass coverage slider in game and have these observations:

First, using SECElite's 2012 Heisman Slider Set I was finding that the AI pass coverage started out a reasonable, manageable defense to throw against. But after the first quarter, EVERY CB and S was in press coverage nearly every pass (not run, of course), often blitzing or playing genius level press. I kept playing, getting wiped out along the way and suddenly had a thought: What if I adjust the pass coverage slider to 100 (as noted in an earlier thread regarding reversed PC sliders). And whaddaya know, now the AI secondary was once again playing much more realistic...until halftime. These guys must have downed a case or Rockstar each because once again, it was press coverage all over the place...

So, for the following week's game, I kept the sliders the same, but switched from Heisman to AA. Same thing. You start out with a game playing pretty honestly, and after the quarter (or possession change, as it's sometimes hard to get a good series of test plays), the AI cheats up and becomes God like in its ability to cover tight, bat anything down, etc.

My initial suggestion then, is to keep the PC slider at 50, in case there's a hidden code that looks for this slider adjustment and slaps the gamer upside the head if they dare try to take away the awesomeness that is psychic defense.

A bit tongue-in-cheek for the above statement I admit, but I thought I'd spread the word.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2011, 06:30 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 11
Re: Keep AI pass coverage sliders at 50

i also think i saw somewhere that the PCV slider affects what we see as the user in different ways, depending on whether the CPU defender is playing man or zone. someone please correct me if i'm wrong (as this is just my understanding and based on no scientific testing of my own):

Defender in Man with PCV = 0: the biggest "cushion" you could imagine while still called coverage

Defender in Man with PCV = 100: the defender knows not just what flavor gum the receiver is chewing, but also the brand and how long it's been in there (gross)

Defender in Zone with PCV = 0: defender just sort of floating around the area, maybe coming closer to the WR who runs into their area or playing the ball-side of the zone

Defender in Zone with PCV = 100: defender has a very short leash, chained to the center of their zone and only straying from that spot when the QB targets the WR

...so in other words, as a Human QB, i would rather have the CPU PCV slider at 0 if they are in Man (so I would have all sorts of room to make my throw) and 100 if they are in Zone (so I know where the defender is and will be and can pick them apart easier)
Old 08-19-2011, 09:20 PM   #3
MVP

Spanky's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZekeRoberts
i also think i saw somewhere that the PCV slider affects what we see as the user in different ways, depending on whether the CPU defender is playing man or zone. someone please correct me if i'm wrong (as this is just my understanding and based on no scientific testing of my own):

Defender in Man with PCV = 0: the biggest "cushion" you could imagine while still called coverage

Defender in Man with PCV = 100: the defender knows not just what flavor gum the receiver is chewing, but also the brand and how long it's been in there (gross)

Defender in Zone with PCV = 0: defender just sort of floating around the area, maybe coming closer to the WR who runs into their area or playing the ball-side of the zone

Defender in Zone with PCV = 100: defender has a very short leash, chained to the center of their zone and only straying from that spot when the QB targets the WR

...so in other words, as a Human QB, i would rather have the CPU PCV slider at 0 if they are in Man (so I would have all sorts of room to make my throw) and 100 if they are in Zone (so I know where the defender is and will be and can pick them apart easier)
What the hell are we supposed to do, read the defense and then pause the game and adjust sliders during every freaking pass play?

Why does it have to be so complicated, such a jumbled mess that it takes bloody Sherlock Holmes to figure it out?

No wonder EA is laughing about this. I'd be laughing, too, if I hadn't spent money on it and crave a good college game.

"What? You can't challenge a scoring play?''
Old 08-19-2011, 10:14 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
What the hell are we supposed to do, read the defense and then pause the game and adjust sliders during every freaking pass play?

Why does it have to be so complicated, such a jumbled mess that it takes bloody Sherlock Holmes to figure it out?

No wonder EA is laughing about this. I'd be laughing, too, if I hadn't spent money on it and crave a good college game.
hahaha yeah it is pretty absurd... they did such a good job this year in opening up SOME things to us users (custom conferences, editing rosters in dynasty) that you'd think it wouldn't be too difficult to add a little bit about what each slider actually affects

...unless thEAy don't really know themselves... (see LT/L2 thread)

honestly, when you have a long-running franchise and you change developers with each iteration, it's almost bound to happen (not that I'm happy about it)
Old 08-22-2011, 09:05 PM   #5
Rookie

Emac's Arena

OVR: 0

I have also noticed that the AI will change their zone coverage to aggressive in gameplan often so I don't know if that has anything to do with what you are talking about. I noticed this by switching sides to both defenses during a game. I really believe it is a major reason why those deep balls are wide open at times especially at end of half situations. For some reason, the AI likes to switch to aggressive zone coverage at the end of the game or end of the 2nd quarter which is why receivers are wide open down the field.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2011, 03:30 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emac
I have also noticed that the AI will change their zone coverage to aggressive in gameplan often so I don't know if that has anything to do with what you are talking about. I noticed this by switching sides to both defenses during a game. I really believe it is a major reason why those deep balls are wide open at times especially at end of half situations. For some reason, the AI likes to switch to aggressive zone coverage at the end of the game or end of the 2nd quarter which is why receivers are wide open down the field.
Completely agree. I don't think it's a matter of adjusting the sliders every quarter; it's that the CPU adjust their gameplan to aggressive after every quarter, which is why you see more press coverage, aggressive zone play, and aggressive d-line play. By adjusting the sliders every quarter I thinking you're just resetting the CPU to default gameplan which is why they're not as aggressive.

Instead of dealing with the overly aggressive CPU play I take control of both sides in a game and use 2 controllers. One is on coach mode the and the other I control. For the coach mode controller I select one of the suggested plays. For the other control I just do normal playcalling. By doing this the CPU can't switch the gameplay style to aggressive. Games are a lot more realistic, db's won't press every down, and its actually difficult to complete a deep pass.

May sound like a pain, but as a result the gameplay is much more realistic. Deep balls are more difficult to complete and you don't see the d-line jumping the snap EVERY play.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Sliders »