Home

FSU's academics from "Very Good" to "Good" in dynasty

This is a discussion on FSU's academics from "Very Good" to "Good" in dynasty within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-27-2008, 02:10 AM   #9
Release the Kirchen

auburntigersfan's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: FSU's academics from "Very Good" to "Good" in dynasty

Maybe it is just the fact that FSU has never been known for academics, it isn't the greatest school in that department. Florida on the other hand is more known for it's academic prowess.
But really, if we're gonna talk about FSU in this forum why aren't we talk about the bs ratings they have in this game.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:21 AM   #10
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by auburntigersfan
Florida on the other hand is more known for it's academic prowess.
I don't know how this happened, but its really only outside of Florida. Both schools are great in certain majors, but UF isn't as they like to say the "Harvard of the South." When UF gets 40 million cut compared to FSU 32 million, that hurts FSU more than UF, as UF gets more money from private donors, grants, etc. UF has done a great job at marketing itself as a great academic school, but theres only really differences between schools, not the whole college.
Old 07-27-2008, 04:07 AM   #11
t3g
Rookie

t3g's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by UVa2009
Sorry, but FSU shouldn't be considered very good in regards to academics. I consider academics there a joke, but I guess that is all relative.
Interesting that you say that considering our schools have a close relationship with Jefferson and Eppes (like the trophy) and this "rivalry" we have is very lopsided.

Back when I was picking colleges I could have gone to UF, FSU, UCF, or USF but chose FSU. Why? Their arts (creative writing, theatre, etc) and film school are way beyond any of the other schools in the state and especially the film school which is ranked top 5 nationally alongside USC, NYU, and UCLA. I was involved in both depts in my time there and I learned a lot.

The UVA fan should cut the BS because college is college no matter where you go. Nowadays its a piece of paper to get you an interview and the actual experience and skill sets matter. Maybe you get lucky by being a corporate brown noser to a fellow alum. I recently moved from FL to Chicago and college was college to job prospects whether it was UF or FSU or Virginia.

Last edited by t3g; 07-27-2008 at 04:12 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2008, 08:55 AM   #12
Pro

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3g
In other words, it sucks being a teacher (who are underpaid anyways) in an economy heading for a recession and where a standard college degree doesn't mean jack.

Not really the place for this argument, but teachers are most certainly not underpaid.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:52 AM   #13
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePebble19
Not really the place for this argument, but teachers are most certainly not underpaid.
In college, it depends on the faculty position. For example, professors in professional schools (business, law, medicine, etc.) are typically "overpaid" in comparison with most college professors and most elementary and secondary school teachers.

At the same time, professors in the liberal arts (particularly Classics, English, Literature, History, Political Science, etc.) are "underpaid" in comparison to their colleagues in the professional schools and other disciplines. I know full professors in History who make 1/2 or even 1/3 of full professors in Finance (and that doesn't even take into consideration the fact that the Finance professor can make incredible money from outside consulting).

The biggest difference, however, is the distinction between part-time/adjunct faculty and full-time faculty. As a full-time faculty member, I essentially make around $12,000 for each 3 credit course I teach. I also get great medical benefits, incredible numbers of days off, and a great retirement plan. Part-time and adjunct faculty get paid somewhere between $3,000-4,000 for each 3 credit course they teach. They also get no benefits whatsoever, no days off (as they only get paid based on the time spent in the classroom), and no retirement plan. There are lots of adjunct/part-time faculty (and doctoral students - who make even less per class) teaching at large universities.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:07 AM   #14
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3g
The UVA fan should cut the BS because college is college no matter where you go. Nowadays its a piece of paper to get you an interview and the actual experience and skill sets matter. Maybe you get lucky by being a corporate brown noser to a fellow alum. I recently moved from FL to Chicago and college was college to job prospects whether it was UF or FSU or Virginia.
I agree with this as a general statement, but you risk oversimplifying things. In general, I have seen countless instances of people who have taken "a degree" (regardless of what it was in and where it was from) and worked hard in their chosen field and advanced on their merit. For example, a friend of mine who is a successful pharmaceutical sales rep graduated from Allegheny College with a degree in Communications.

I also agree with this, in that, most of the people who think that they should/will get a job based solely on the degree they earn will end up being bitter and disappointed in the result. I don't care who you are or where you are went to school, this all goes out the door when you start working. As such, if you are earning a degree, you should spend a significant amount of your time on career and professional development. The students who do internships (particularly those who do several in many different organizations and jobs) are far better prepared than those who simply go to school and hope for a job one day.

This said - the student who makes a smart decision about what they major in and the career/professional development they pursue in school can absolutely tear up in the job market. For example, I went to Purdue for undergrad. My roommate graduated with a degree in Mechanical Engineering, which is no small task. He had 4 or 5 internships and research projects while he was there, and has had an amazing career in which he has worked in several great jobs, gone to graduate school on a full ride, and lived all over the world.

A more recent example is my ex-gf. She graduated from Pitt with a degree in Accounting. She did internships in accounting firms, a local healthcare company and was a teaching assistant. Recruiters were clamoring for her from consulting firms, because they knew she had the knowledge and skillset to go to clients. She constantly looks at the job opportunities available and moved from consulting to internal audit two years ago. She has since been promoted three times in her new company (a large national bank) - largely because her bosses know that she can leave for other companies.

Bottom line - the degree is great, but what you do with it is up to your hard work and the opportunities you make for yourself.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:51 AM   #15
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelerfan2k1
In college, it depends on the faculty position. For example, professors in professional schools (business, law, medicine, etc.) are typically "overpaid" in comparison with most college professors and most elementary and secondary school teachers.

At the same time, professors in the liberal arts (particularly Classics, English, Literature, History, Political Science, etc.) are "underpaid" in comparison to their colleagues in the professional schools and other disciplines. I know full professors in History who make 1/2 or even 1/3 of full professors in Finance (and that doesn't even take into consideration the fact that the Finance professor can make incredible money from outside consulting).

The biggest difference, however, is the distinction between part-time/adjunct faculty and full-time faculty. As a full-time faculty member, I essentially make around $12,000 for each 3 credit course I teach. I also get great medical benefits, incredible numbers of days off, and a great retirement plan. Part-time and adjunct faculty get paid somewhere between $3,000-4,000 for each 3 credit course they teach. They also get no benefits whatsoever, no days off (as they only get paid based on the time spent in the classroom), and no retirement plan. There are lots of adjunct/part-time faculty (and doctoral students - who make even less per class) teaching at large universities.
I'll agree with that, my statement was more in regard to full time teachers anyway...Part time faculty get jacked hard at just about any level of teaching. My mother in law was a full time aide at a big HS here in PA...she got paid almost nothing and did more work than the teacher that she was helping.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2008, 10:59 AM   #16
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelerfan2k1
Bottom line - the degree is great, but what you do with it is up to your hard work and the opportunities you make for yourself.
This statement goes way beyond even a college degree. Take my father for example. Did one semester at a CC, and decided it wasn't for him. Got a job doing grunt work at a trucking company, embraced the job, got promoted, and now here 30 years later manages an entire department for a BIG nationwide trucking company. All without a college degree.

I followed suit, and am now 8 years deep into the transportation industry, and am doing very well for myself and my family.

Another great example would be the last company I worked for. Our regional VP started 30 years ago with that company working on the dock. Worked his way up and did pretty much every position on the way up, and now makes over 100k per year.

Hard work goes farther than a degree can any day of the week.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »