Home

The animations may be slicker, but....

This is a discussion on The animations may be slicker, but.... within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-11-2008, 02:30 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 9
The animations may be slicker, but....

There is something that has really REALLY been annoying me while playing this game.

I'll be running full speed, sprint button pulled in, staring straight at a wide-open first down line, and suddenly two guys will come in from the side and knock my RB straight backward. Its like two guys slam my RB with an 8 g deceleration tackle. WTF? Does momentum mean anything to anybody? If he was getting hit head-on by a guy, I wouldn't complain, but when a safety and a corner run up to me from the side and somehow THROW me backwards from a full sprint, I just can't live with that. The reason running is harder in this game is because no runners fall forwards anymore. remember last year's 5 yard dragging tackle? The CPU relied on that for yards that it isn't getting this year. I'm guessing its an issue that will get straightened up as they get more experience with the gang tackling.

Also, an unrelated point....has anybody seen the QB hand it off on an option play from shotgun? I don't think they EVER actually do. I think the handoffs from shotgun are only on the sweep plays, but if its an option, I think they always keep it, even they have freakin 62 SPD. This really needs addressed, it really detracts from the game seriously.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2008, 11:11 AM   #2
Rookie

Fluff E Bunny's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: The animations may be slicker, but....

This is the result of an animation based engine. A physics based engine would yield better results.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:26 AM   #3
Rookie

GatorFan1963's Arena

OVR: 3

I've got one even better for you. Couple days ago I was playing a game in my dynasty and my WR broke into the open field. He got caught, from behind, by his feet. I swear to you when the DB grabbed the WRs feet, my WR took like 2 steps backwards instead of falling forwards. I couldn't believe it.

But the way I see it, there have been times I have gained a few extra yards from this type of thing happening.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:01 PM   #4
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

Here's a good one. It's not the same thing, but it's still animation related, although AI had a lot to do with it as well.

I'm Michigan playing at Ohio State. I'm already down a touchdown and OSU has the ball on about their own 15 or so.

Beanie Wells takes the hand off, starts up the middle, sees a cutback lane and busts it outside. He breaks an arm tackle and heads for the sideline. He turns it up field and runs towards the endzone. There isn't a single Michigan player even on the screen.
He's at the 40... the 50.
An OSU wide receiver is running along side him to celebrate in the end zone.
The 40.... the 30...
Still not a single Wolverine to be found.
The 25.... the 20.
Wells jukes inside.
Wells jukes outside and runs out of bounds at the 10!

I couldn't believe it! No defenders to be seen (I think they already had headed to the bench) but Wells felt the need to do 2 juke moves, with the animation of the 2nd one running him out of bounds.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Old 08-11-2008, 12:07 PM   #5
Rookie

wishcoats's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
Here's a good one. It's not the same thing, but it's still animation related, although AI had a lot to do with it as well.

I'm Michigan playing at Ohio State. I'm already down a touchdown and OSU has the ball on about their own 15 or so.

Beanie Wells takes the hand off, starts up the middle, sees a cutback lane and busts it outside. He breaks an arm tackle and heads for the sideline. He turns it up field and runs towards the endzone. There isn't a single Michigan player even on the screen.
The 40.... the 30...
The 25.... the 20.
Wells jukes inside.

I couldn't believe it! No defenders to be seen (I think they already had headed to the bench) but Wells felt the need to do 2 juke moves, with the animation of the 2nd one running him out of bounds.
Yeah the sideline seems to suck the ai players with the ball in if they get too close. did they at least go on to score that touchdown?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2008, 12:14 PM   #6
MVP

mudtiger's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717

The 40.... the 30...
The 25.... the 20.
Wells jukes inside.

The cpu couldn't remember which button high stepped.

Seriously though the cpu ball carrier AI is quite poor. I've been seeing a lot of curly shuffle routines lately where a guy will be running east/west and turn towards his own end zone to do a big circle instead of turning up field right away.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:43 PM   #7
MVP

jello1717's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishcoats
Yeah the sideline seems to suck the ai players with the ball in if they get too close. did they at least go on to score that touchdown?
This wasn't a case where he was too close to the sideline and went into the "tight rope walking" animation. He just did a big juke more into it.

Thankfully OSU scored 2 plays later, but it wasn't Beanie that do the TD though.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Old 08-11-2008, 01:27 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 9

wow, those are some good stories......hopefully the EA guys are listening. I haven't really seen a thread like this that points out the issues with the animations, because most people seem to still be happy that we finally got gang-tackling into the game. But it isn't without its issues.

The CPU runners juke WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY too much. I was playing campus legend just waiting for patch 2, and I was a QB. the RB would take the ball, have a huge hole in front of him, and just juke his way from an 8 yard gain to a 3 yard gain. Its really freakin' annoying.

Also, on my last point, has anyone seen the QB hand off on an option from shotgun? It may be hard to tell the difference between the option and a designed play to the RB, but I really don't think they ever hand it off if its an option.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »