Home

The option is broken: would EA fix it? (long)

This is a discussion on The option is broken: would EA fix it? (long) within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-15-2008, 02:56 PM   #33
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: The option is broken: would EA fix it? (long)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steebu
Yup, if you watch the Georgia Tech-Georgia clips in the original post you'll notice that Georgia lines up in a 4-4. Unfortunately for Georgia, they get their pants yanked down because of lack of discipline on their part and great execution on GT's part.

In the second clip you'll notice the non-motioning A-Back (#36, Luke Cox) race down the field and cream the FS. When in the game do you ever see a play (option or otherwise) where a player isn't blocking straight ahead? Sure, you've got a pulling guard on occasion, but even that doesn't work properly.

Regardless of option blocking, it'd be nice to see a TE seal block or a pulling guard race downfield to take out a safety instead of standing around numbly.
I didn't see the whole game, but in the plays I did see....the right people were often there but Dwyer and that other kid made them miss. If that hitman misses, than it's usually over. Discipline stops the option, but more importantly good tackling stops the option.
"Maybe I can't win. But to beat me, he's going to have to kill me. And to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he's got to be willing to die himself. I don't know if he's ready to do that."
-Rocky Balboa
Old 02-04-2009, 01:32 PM   #34
Rookie

OVR: 7

that was a great post mann..... on of the best i've seen...

in addition to fixing it... the also need to make the line splits bigger, and add more plays.... alot more plays... and formations..

but great post mann i give you your props

Old 02-04-2009, 07:27 PM   #35
Rookie

dirtycashdylan's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoSparty
Thanks very much for this. They should fix it, because the option is only becoming more prevalent in the college game. Whether from under center or in the pistol or shotgun, it's everywhere now.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-04-2009, 09:14 PM   #36
Rookie

sportsgamer30's Arena

OVR: 8

you are so right!
MLB Twins
NBA Cavs
Old 02-05-2009, 12:06 AM   #37
MVP

stoncold32's Arena

OVR: 17

I just dont get it. It was fine up until this year,. In fact, lots of stuff that was working properly was broken this year
Old 02-07-2009, 02:58 AM   #38
Banned

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsaQue
You are absolutely right about everything in your post (except GT not a running a wishbone - I don't care what Paul Johnson wants to call it, that's what it is). This is why all those team that run the spread offense in the game can't run the ball. Because the blocking on it is broken.

In a zone read, you let the de go, and pick up all of the second level guys. That way, if the DE pinches too hard, then the qb pulls it out, and only has the one guy to beat. If the DE keeps contain, then the qb gives the ball, and the DE is out of the play. With the spread becoming such a widely used offense, this is crucial, imo. But if they fix that problem in the spread, I think it fixes the problem in the triple as well. Then they just need to work on the pitch relationship.

The option is done pretty much exactly the same way it was last year. The only real difference is that they did a much better job of fixing the defensive responsibilities on the option, so it isn't as effective. But it is nowhere near true to what the option is.
Georgia Tech has a "wing t" offense not a wishbone offense bro..
Old 02-07-2009, 03:01 AM   #39
Banned

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by steebu
Yup, if you watch the Georgia Tech-Georgia clips in the original post you'll notice that Georgia lines up in a 4-4. Unfortunately for Georgia, they get their pants yanked down because of lack of discipline on their part and great execution on GT's part.

In the second clip you'll notice the non-motioning A-Back (#36, Luke Cox) race down the field and cream the FS. When in the game do you ever see a play (option or otherwise) where a player isn't blocking straight ahead? Sure, you've got a pulling guard on occasion, but even that doesn't work properly.

Regardless of option blocking, it'd be nice to see a TE seal block or a pulling guard race downfield to take out a safety instead of standing around numbly.
exactly man...this is how any option offense has been taught for years...the tight end/hback/wing or slot, whatever you want to call him normally goes for the force player, which is normally the playside safety
Old 04-16-2009, 01:19 PM   #40
Rookie

OVR: 7

Again, thanks steebu.

I just don't see how this is difficult. Leave the DE and OLB unblocked - now you have numbers on the players you are actually blocking and you can make a decent read on the unblocked guys.

I'm not asking for anything really complicated, just a set of blocking rules that makes running an option realistic.

We have a billion different plays from shotgun, but do linemen even combo to backers in this game? Why does the FB/B-Back dive through the A gap on the triple option instead of taking a veer path through the outside leg of the PS G? The entire Florida playbook is in but there's not one real midline option?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »