Home

Wide Open Gameplay your friend!

This is a discussion on Wide Open Gameplay your friend! within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-17-2009, 10:52 PM   #1
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)
Wide Open Gameplay your friend!

I find myself defending wide open gameplay again. Its wasnt WOGP that ruined 09 it was fun and actually one of the bright spots about 09. The lack of defense was not a product of WOGP its was because of bad AI and incomplete animations(among other things). People forget that the college game really can be that Wide open at times. WOGP is great and its one of the few feature that should seperate Madden from NCAA.

With the addition of adaptive A.I. ,better pursuit angles ,and OL/DL INA improvements I assure the WOGP haters will be impressed. But I think everybody who dislike WOGP didnt really understand what it was. Being I have been playing since 98 having that kinda freedom was appreciated and will make the game better for the next few years.

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.

Last edited by da ThRONe; 04-17-2009 at 11:05 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-17-2009, 11:00 PM   #2
Guns Up!

Solidice's Arena

OVR: 63
Re: Wide Open Gameplay your friend!

Wide Open Gameplay was just an easy target to blame. if people would remember back to NCAA 2004, which is considered the best NCAA game by most hardcore fans, it also had Wide Open Gameplay listed on the box.

the defense was horrific in '09.

Current Main Rotation: Destiny 2 (XB,PC), Division 2(XB) Baldur Gate 3(XB 4p Co-op run) HellDivers 2 (PC)
Games on the list to play: Too many to fit here
Old 04-17-2009, 11:04 PM   #3
Rookie

Africa Jr's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidice
Wide Open Gameplay was just an easy target to blame. if people would remember back to NCAA 2004, which is considered the best NCAA game by most hardcore fans, it also had Wide Open Gameplay listed on the box.

the defense was horrific in '09.
Bringing it back oldskool! lol man that game was fun
Old 04-18-2009, 12:01 AM   #4
BOOM!

AuburnAlumni's Arena

OVR: 43

I'm sorry....but you are so unbelievably WRONG it's not even funny.

Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiide Open Gameplay was Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide Open because of Blatant HORRID FLAWED GAMEPLAY and AI LOGIC.

Period.

So yes...it IS to blame and is a broken system.

Here is what Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide Open Gameplay amounts to.....

1. Horrid Pursuit angles by defenders which turn 2 yard losses into 60 yard touchdowns....every. single. game.

2. Complete and total lack of any real Defensive line push/pressure in a reasonable amout of time....i.e. QBs have literally all day to sit there and find an open man.

3. Horrid DB and LB pass coverage. You can literally run comeback and hitch routes all day long for 5 yard gains and the defense will never adjust and take the routes away. You can nickel and dime to death.

4. Ridiculous RB "separation" when running a pass route from Safeties and LBs. Even LBs with High 80s speed or even 90 speed are torched out of the flats by 82 speed RBs.

5. Zero effect of pressure, attributes on QB accuracy. Every QB can make a laser 60 yard strike, while throwing off their back foot with a LB in their face. Everyone of them.

6. Ridiculous speed "boost" that EA thought would be "cool" in NCAA 09. A 1 point difference in speed basically meant that a 96 speed WR would torch a 95 speed DB every play. This helped lead to the effect of having a 1 or 2 star receiver who sucked at every rating known to man EXCEPT he ran a 4.18 40 (by the way EA..why the hell do you have these stupid 40 times? A 4.18? Really? That's Record breaking speed.).

Result....You can recruit a bunch of 1 star 95+ speed WRs and destroy any team you play.

Hell..I took Troy State against The Future with his Tennessee Vols and marched up and down the field on him and he couldn't do a thing about it.

That was called Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiide Open Gameplay. And that's all it is...a flawed, broken defense.

If you were unable to score more than 10 points a game in the previous 10 installments of NCAA without these cheats, then I'm sorry.

Personally, I never had an issue with the offense in previous NCAAs. In NCAA 08 I had games that were 45-42...but I also had games that were 6-3 and 10-3.

In NCAA 09...unless you were a blind, ********, monkey and played on 5 minute quarters......the normal score in our dynasties were 45-42, 38-35, etc. with a total of 1-2 punts per game. Ridiculous.

I want my damn defense back and I want the overblown speed cheats, broken pursuit angles, and horrid DL/OL interaction fixed.

Last edited by AuburnAlumni; 04-18-2009 at 12:05 AM.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:04 AM   #5
SHO
Give us a raise, loser!

SHO's Arena

OVR: 24

They made the defense a bunch a dummies in order to facilitate the "Wide Open Gameplay" gimmick.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-18-2009, 09:51 AM   #6
Banned

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAlumni
I'm sorry....but you are so unbelievably WRONG it's not even funny.

Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiide Open Gameplay was Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide Open because of Blatant HORRID FLAWED GAMEPLAY and AI LOGIC.

Period.

So yes...it IS to blame and is a broken system.

Here is what Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide Open Gameplay amounts to.....

1. Horrid Pursuit angles by defenders which turn 2 yard losses into 60 yard touchdowns....every. single. game.

2. Complete and total lack of any real Defensive line push/pressure in a reasonable amout of time....i.e. QBs have literally all day to sit there and find an open man.

3. Horrid DB and LB pass coverage. You can literally run comeback and hitch routes all day long for 5 yard gains and the defense will never adjust and take the routes away. You can nickel and dime to death.

4. Ridiculous RB "separation" when running a pass route from Safeties and LBs. Even LBs with High 80s speed or even 90 speed are torched out of the flats by 82 speed RBs.

5. Zero effect of pressure, attributes on QB accuracy. Every QB can make a laser 60 yard strike, while throwing off their back foot with a LB in their face. Everyone of them.

6. Ridiculous speed "boost" that EA thought would be "cool" in NCAA 09. A 1 point difference in speed basically meant that a 96 speed WR would torch a 95 speed DB every play. This helped lead to the effect of having a 1 or 2 star receiver who sucked at every rating known to man EXCEPT he ran a 4.18 40 (by the way EA..why the hell do you have these stupid 40 times? A 4.18? Really? That's Record breaking speed.).

Result....You can recruit a bunch of 1 star 95+ speed WRs and destroy any team you play.

Hell..I took Troy State against The Future with his Tennessee Vols and marched up and down the field on him and he couldn't do a thing about it.

That was called Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiide Open Gameplay. And that's all it is...a flawed, broken defense.

If you were unable to score more than 10 points a game in the previous 10 installments of NCAA without these cheats, then I'm sorry.

Personally, I never had an issue with the offense in previous NCAAs. In NCAA 08 I had games that were 45-42...but I also had games that were 6-3 and 10-3.

In NCAA 09...unless you were a blind, ********, monkey and played on 5 minute quarters......the normal score in our dynasties were 45-42, 38-35, etc. with a total of 1-2 punts per game. Ridiculous.

I want my damn defense back and I want the overblown speed cheats, broken pursuit angles, and horrid DL/OL interaction fixed.
^^^^
That.

Well said sir!

I PRAY that adaptive AI can help with the ludicrous defense of the CPU...ANY game that allows you to package your #1 HB to the FB position and then run Play Action passes all game long to a WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDE Open FB (to the tune of completing 25 of 26 attempts for 6 TDs and 500+ yards, all to one player) is a joke.

This was pointed out at last year's Community Day as well as by members here and across the web all year...if the same broken *** coverage logic is still in the game I will be more than a little disappointed. In truth, the coverage of the backs to the flats has been broken for years already and it is way past time to fix this...
Old 04-18-2009, 10:16 AM   #7
MVP

jdrhammer's Arena

OVR: 19

Speaking of broken coverage, is it just me or does the TE ever get covered well enough? It just seems like the D just gives up after so many seconds and causes these huge breakdowns.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:17 AM   #8
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

I agree with the op. The problems with the game last year were AI related and didn't have anything to do with wide open gameplay. Quite frankly, how do you call the gameplay wide open when the cpu QB never throws the deep ball? Offline I could make the game very defensive if I wanted with slider tweaks. By biggest problems were the cpu QB AI and lack of a cpu running game. The OL/DL interaction needed work as well.

When I think wide open gameplay I think easy third down completions, tons of YAC and easy deep balls. With slider tweaks I just didn't see those problems last year imo (just offline impressions for me).

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »