Home

inflated rosters? (little long)

This is a discussion on inflated rosters? (little long) within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-06-2009, 04:06 AM   #17
Pro

OVR: 9
Re: inflated rosters? (little long)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOBLE
NCAA needs the rating spread more than Madden does.
This is probably the most truthful statement I've read.

In the college game, certain players are just head and shoulders above their peers. Players above 90 should be seriously elite, average starters on BCS and upper level non BCS teams should be around the 70s, and the backups and 3rd/4th stringers (not rookie backups, but the jrs and srs who have been there forever and jave basically worked their way onto the depth chart by putting in time) should be in the 40-70 range. Ratings in general just need overhauled. Very few college QBs should be able to throw a football 70 yards, but pretty much every one can currently. QBs should have much lower arm strength and much lower accuracy. Only elite/experienced WRs should run great routes all the time, etc.... Experience needs to be MUCH MUCH more important.

I don't necessarily agree with high ratings having any relation to the NFL. A great player in college may not have the physical tools to make it to the NFL, but have a great understanding of the game and their team's scheme (in EA terms, high awareness, low physical attributes). NFL teams draft for talent and potential moreso than overachievers who may not have the best measurables. In college, players are still very raw, which is why I believe awareness should mean a lot more in NCAA (without making lower awareness players being completely dumb).

(Case in point AQ Shipley, the C from Penn State who was drafted in the 7th round by the Steelers this season after winning the Remington award for best C in the country. All of this due to a lack of ideal height and short arms. Also C Dan Mozes from WVU a couple years ago was an absolute beast and also won the Remington trophy as a senior. He went undrafted after some projected him as high as the 4th round. His drop was partly caused by a knee injury that may have ended his NFL chances, but they were also caused by a lack of ideal size. ).
Old 06-06-2009, 06:11 AM   #18
Don
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlue10
if they are really good players in college then don't you think they should at least get drafted...i mean there are 250+ players drafted a year and your saying if they are worth a 90+ overall they aren't worthy of a tryout by a pro team...sorry still not buying that

inflated rosters...no way U$C or Florida are worthy of 18 players that are 90+
Graham Harrell was great in college but he didn't get drafted. i don't remember what his rating was in NCAA but it should have been in the 90s. anyway, its not that great college guys who play in a system can't be good in the NFL, its that (most of) the guys in the NFL don't feel like bothering with them.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:43 AM   #19
MVP

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
Pat White was an early second round pick and havent taking one snap in the NFL. How can you say that his skill set does not transfer to the pros? And he was the best looking prospect throwing the ball at the combine.

Reggie Bush was tied for all purpose TD last year before he got hurt. And lead all RB's in catches his rookie season!
I concur on the Pat White point, lets see what he looks like in a NFL game before you call him a bust. Looks like he got drafted into the perfect O for his skill set, and I hope he shines.

I think with Reggie Bush everybody overhyped the poor guy and as good as he is, he'll never be that guy everybody figured him to be. He just can't run between the tackles due to size and how he scampers at this stage. That doesn't mean he isn't a great situational player, he's just not a everydown back.
Old 06-06-2009, 09:13 AM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisejames
So why did you leave out Boise St.? They finished 11th (12-1) and...

All time record.. 340-143-2 (.701)

#8 all time...

considering they were only a D1 team for 20 years....listen i'm not going to look up the info for all 120 teams only the historically relevant ones....teams that have a good record every once in a while aren't a classical power
Old 06-06-2009, 09:54 AM   #21
Pro

OVR: 14

If Ohio State only have 7 players rated 90+ then I'm glad. I can actually play with my favorite team without people whining and complaining about me trying to play with my favorite team.

I cannot wait to roll with Terrelle Pryor. He is going to be the next Vince Young online.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-06-2009, 10:01 AM   #22
MVP

acts238shaun's Arena

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble
NCAA needs the rating spread more than Madden does.
If I have the time, I am going to do rosters this year, but it will be an ongoing thing and in no way will they be ready by Jul 14 (on paper). I can maybe have some by the end of August.

Last edited by acts238shaun; 06-08-2009 at 09:32 AM.
Old 06-06-2009, 11:16 AM   #23
MVP

Ziza9Noles94's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moostache
I am not surprised...remember, these are not "real" rosters of actual players (wink, wink, nudge, nudge)...and the devs do have their favorites to stack each year (*cough...Florida State...cough*)
Nothing wrong with that.
Old 06-06-2009, 01:22 PM   #24
MVP

jdrhammer's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlue10
considering they were only a D1 team for 20 years....listen i'm not going to look up the info for all 120 teams only the historically relevant ones....teams that have a good record every once in a while aren't a classical power
Exactly. As far as the post about ratings stretching and experience weighning more heavily, that would be the case of Utah this past season and several of the Boise teams that had really good upperclass talent. Boise has had some really good guys come in and impact while they're young but typically they have a good system and most guys redshirt. I know Utah fans think they've arrived but they lost a 5th year QB along with several other 4th and 5th year players that will cause them to step back. This wasn't intended to knock non BCS conference schools.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »