Home

Speed is still everything

This is a discussion on Speed is still everything within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-08-2010, 02:28 PM   #1
Pro

rhombic21's Arena

OVR: 9
Speed is still everything

At least for skill positions. Why? Because man coverage essentially makes it so that no matter how "quick" your receiver is, the only thing that really matters is top end speed, because any routes with sharp breaks won't work. These are exactly the types of routes that slot receivers like Wes Welker thrive off in real life, but they don't work on the game.

There are two types of receivers that are effective on this game. Big receivers who can beat the jam consistently and fast receivers who can run away from man coverage (either vertically on streaks or horizontally on drags). A receiver with mid 80s speed but mid-high 90s ACC and AGI (like OU's Ryan Broyles), and relatively low strength/size ratings are essentially worthless relative to how good their ratings suggest they should be. I also notice that there's virtually no difference in the quickness/sharpness of cuts between players with average route running skills versus those with excellent route running skills.

My problem isn't that these small but "quick rather than fast" players can't beat the jam. I'm fine with that. But if you put them in positions where they can't be jammed, or where it's at least harder to jam them (like the slot) then there ought to be some way to capitalize on their skillset.

I play with OU a lot online, and I can tell you that despite the fact that Ryan Broyles is rated 95 OVR and DeJuan Miller is 89 OVR, Miller is almost always more effective in the game. Because Miller has 97 SPD and is 6'4 224, while Broyles is 5'11 178 with only 83 SPD. Broyles' 95 AGI and 97 ACC, and 92 Route Running all suggest that he should be an effective slot receiver, but none of that matters with the way that man coverage is programmed. Even horrible cornerbacks are able to cover him in the slot and take away the quick routes that a player like that would run in real life. And when you adjust and run the routes that seem to work well against man coverage on this game (fly patterns and drags), then you may as well just use a player with better flatline speed, because the acceleration and agility doesn't really come into play that much.

Also, pretty much the same thing goes on defense for defensive backs. Since everybody more or less covers amazingly in man coverage, then acceleration and agility and man coverage skills barely matter. All that really matters is having top end speed so that receivers can't outrun you on go patterns and drags.

We heard a lot about how locomotion was going to change things and make it so that other movement attributes, like acceleration and agility, mattered more relative to flatline speed, but I would argue that given the way that man coverage has been programmed, any of these changes have been nullified, and we're essentially right back where we were last year.

Last edited by rhombic21; 08-08-2010 at 02:30 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2010, 02:32 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: Speed is still everything

I actually don't think it's inherently a man coverage problem so much as maybe locomotion just isn't quite applied to route running effectively.

Speed clearly isn't EVERYTHING when it comes to running the ball, whether that be on a scramble, on a handoff/pitch, or whether that be YAC. Acceleration and Agility unquestionably are factors in this aspect of the game.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:05 PM   #3
Pro

FedExPope's Arena

OVR: 7

I agree with the OP. With UF, I can often get open receivers (usually slot guys though) and they are just loaded with speed guys. With Kansas State, even though I had Daniel Thomas beating the crap out of defenses, receivers couldn't get open to save their lives. They're slow and bad at getting open. I just gave up playing as them because it was just boring running it well, then getting stuffed, and having absolutely no passing game to fall back on.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:18 PM   #4
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Disagree. I think Speed is much less important than it has been. To each their own.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:27 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 1

speed kills in football in real life.. so of course it should be like that in the game.. if it wasnt then people would complain about how they cant out run DEs and DTs.. speed players are suppose to be deadly weapons
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2010, 03:29 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Disagree. Miami has a some speedy guys and some decent speed big guys at WR and they all can get open. With Buffalo I see my Wrs getting open too and they aren't fast.

― Plato
Old 08-08-2010, 03:38 PM   #7
MVP

boritter's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhombic21
At least for skill positions.
I disagree, especially concerning QBs and RBs. I think acceleration is much more important than speed when running the ball.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:42 PM   #8
Pro

rhombic21's Arena

OVR: 9

Sorry, I should have stated that this relates to the passing game primarily.

And I'm mostly talking about online play because in online play people mostly play man to man defense all game (and you're obviously stuck using the default sliders).

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »