Home

Divisional Rivalries in Custom Conferences?

This is a discussion on Divisional Rivalries in Custom Conferences? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-12-2010, 01:16 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: Divisional Rivalries in Custom Conferences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo27
What are all the cross-division match-ups in the ACC?

FSU-Miami
Ga Tech-Clemson
NC State-UNC
WF-Dook
???
Maryland plays Virginia every year.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:19 AM   #10
Banned

OVR: 7
Location: Cherry Hill, NJ or New Brunswick, NJ depending on the season.

Rutgers in the Pac-10.

(I know you weren't going for realism, but as a Rutgers fan I wanted to see where we ended up, and I had to laugh at that.)
Old 08-12-2010, 09:20 AM   #11
Banned

OVR: 7
Location: Cherry Hill, NJ or New Brunswick, NJ depending on the season.

And l-u-l-z is a banned word?

Interesting.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2010, 09:33 AM   #12
Rookie

AgentFelix0013's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyphan1990
And l-u-l-z is a banned word?

Interesting.
the Pac 10 and the ACC have reversed names since the ACC only ended up with 10 teams. to make it fit 12 would blow up dominos in 3 other conferences so it was a lot easier for me to name the northeast region the Pac 10 and the West region the ACC than to shift teams with well entrenched rivalries from the Big 10 over, etc.

If you look at who's in the conference it's not a terrible stretch regionally.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:54 AM   #13
Rookie

TDTGodfather's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
I see. Do the other two cross-division games rotate the same as the SEC? You play a team home or away, do the opposite next season, and then they're replaced, on a 5-year rotation, so year 6 you'll play the same 8 teams you played year 1, etc.

I hope the Pac-12 does it ACC style, ignoring geography and keeping a cross division rival, using these pairings:

Washington-Washington State
Oregon State-Oregon
Cal-Stanford
USC-UCLA
Arizona-Arizona State
Colorado-Utah

and make sure that USC/Oregon are in opposite divisions, so they could potentially meet in the championship game.
yes. the other two rotate. until a few years ago there were two locks (eg LSU's was UF and UK, ole miss had vandy and UGA, etc) but they went to a one lock system with the other two rotating on and off in a staggered pattern so like this year:
LSU plays vandy and their in their 2nd year of rotation so this year they play in nashville (for some reason it goes west home 1st yr then east home 2nd year for all series)
LSU's other rotating eastern opponent this year is tenn and it will be the 1st yr of the rotation so LSU plays at home.

i think unless it changed the big 12 doesn't have locks and just flips their inter-division 3 opponents every two years. i could be wrong on that.

i like the SEC's setup, but as an LSU fan, could do without UF on the sched every year. with UF being the most consistent power on the other side, i see it as a disadvantage whereas let's say alabama or AU can luck out with a down year with tenn or UGA.
Chicago White Sox
Old 08-12-2010, 12:37 PM   #14
MVP

OVR: 15

I really don't understand why people bother replying to posts that they didn't read in their entirety.

The SEC system has worked the same way for quite some time now... and I wasn't asking anything about how the SEC schedule works...as I know more than anyone should care to know about it.

I was asking about how the ACC schedule works. I never had any idea (as I really don't know any ACC fans). I now know that they play their 5 division opponents (obviously), as well as one-cross division opponent every season (much like the SEC). My question was to the ACC fan about how the 2nd and 3rd cross-division games are rotated.

As far as the Big 12 goes... you play half of the cross-division opponents one season, the next season you play the same opponents but flip home/away, then the third season you change all the cross-division opponents out for the other 3, and in the 4th season you flip home-away, and in the fifth season you do the same as the first. So Nebraska's southern division opponents, for example, look like this:

2006: vs Texas, at Oklahoma State, at Texas A&M
2007: vs Oklahoma State, vs Texas A&M, at Texas
2008: at Texas Tech, vs Baylor, at Oklahoma
2009: vs Texas Tech, at Baylor, vs Oklahoma
2010: vs Texas, at Oklahoma State, at Texas A&M

And if they were sticking around for 2011, it'd be at Texas, vs Oklahoma State, vs Texas A&M.

Their intra-division games are set up to give them 3 homes when they have just 1 cross-division home, and 2 homes when they have 2 cross-division aways, so it maintains them all at 4 home, 4 away games.

As for it not being fair for LSU to play Florida every year...first, someone has to play them. When the pairings were set, they were set in part based on rivalries and in part based on the consistent powers. Florida is definitely one of the most consistent powers in the east, but LSU is one of the most consistent powers in the west. Alabama and Auburn are and have been great programs, so they get the other two great programs from the East (plus there are rivalries), with Bama playing Tenn and Auburn playing Georgia.

Mississippi and Mississippi State have traditionally been the worse two programs out of the 5 west teams that have always been in the SEC, and the same can be said for Kentucky and Vanderbilt in the east, and therefore Mississippi is paired with Kentucky, and State with Vandy.

Arkansas and South Carolina get paired as the 11th and 12th teams to join the conference (much like I propose Colorado/Utah in the Pac-12), but also there's some reason for rivalry there, as Danny Ford left Clemson in '93 to come coach Arkansas, just as the two teams were joining the conference. Also, Lou Holtz coached both teams to some of their more successful seasons. Though Arkansas has much more football tradition, with 13 conference titles in the old SWC and one national title, to South Carolina's just 1 conference title in the old days of the ACC.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:00 PM   #15
Rookie

tjm80's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
LSU-Florida
Georgia-Auburn
Alabama-Tennessee
Mississippi-Kentucky
Mississippi State-Vanderbilt
Arkansas-South Carolina
Mississippi plays Vanderbilt and Mississippi State plays Kentucky.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2010, 06:28 PM   #16
Rookie

AgentFelix0013's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
My question was to the ACC fan about how the 2nd and 3rd cross-division games are rotated.
they rotate away/home for Atlantic and home/away for coastal.

For example for FSU
2007: vs Duke, @VT, Miami
2008: vs VT, @GT, @Miami
2009: vs GT, @UNC, Miami
2010: vs UNC, @UVa, @Miami
2011: vs UVa, @Duke, Miami

that's the whole 5 year rotation.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »