Home

NCAA Football 2k12?

This is a discussion on NCAA Football 2k12? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-26-2010, 11:52 AM   #9
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: NCAA Football 2k12?

I think some of you underestimate how much effort goes into making 120+ teams, stadiums, and team specific intros/animations/sounds/etc.

If 2K were to put out another NCAA game today, even using the APF2K foundation, then they would be behind the NCAA Football series.

It would be nice to see competition in the industry, but expecting some quick fix is unrealistic.

I also think most people would appreciate certain areas of NCAA Football more if there was a competitive product on the market. Not saying this game is anywhere close to being where it should be given this many years of development, but it still has a huge head start on the rest of the industry.

2K would be better suited to return to the NFL and compete with Madden from a business and competition perspective.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:04 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by youALREADYknow
I think some of you underestimate how much effort goes into making 120+ teams, stadiums, and team specific intros/animations/sounds/etc.
They would have a few months, even if they only started the second the license ended. I assume they have done some work behind the scenes on the engine, if they haven't then yeah, they would have a lot to do.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:48 PM   #11
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

If 2k was to come out with a college game next year I think they would be behind in stadiums, but thats about it. The gameplay would be a more polished 2k8 that supports the option and college feel. The presentation would no doubt blow EA away.

It would be the things like uniforms, stadiums, authentic entrances, etc. that would be lacking the first year or two. Thats only because they wouldn't be allowed to work on those things until it was certain they could come out with a college game. As for gameplay, graphics, etc. they could have worked on those casually over the years since 2k8 and we wouldn't know it.

I am not too sure whether 2k will make a college game after this year. I really hope so. When it comes to sports games, I have always preferred 2k in every sport, so it would make me happy to see them return. I also think that the 2k college game would be under the people who worked on NFL 2k, APF 2k8, NBA 2k, and MLB 2k and would be an actual good game unlike their old college football game that was made by a completely different studio.

If we do have two NCAAFB games to choose from next year, I'll be ecstatic. I would definitely wan to try both out. I might even buy both just to support 2k and get my draft classes for Madden. Hopefully we'll know sooner rather than later if 2k will have a NCAAFB 2k12.

― Plato
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-26-2010, 02:06 PM   #12
MVP

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
If 2k was to come out with a college game next year I think they would be behind in stadiums, but thats about it. The gameplay would be a more polished 2k8 that supports the option and college feel. The presentation would no doubt blow EA away.

It would be the things like uniforms, stadiums, authentic entrances, etc. that would be lacking the first year or two. Thats only because they wouldn't be allowed to work on those things until it was certain they could come out with a college game. As for gameplay, graphics, etc. they could have worked on those casually over the years since 2k8 and we wouldn't know it.

I am not too sure whether 2k will make a college game after this year. I really hope so. When it comes to sports games, I have always preferred 2k in every sport, so it would make me happy to see them return. I also think that the 2k college game would be under the people who worked on NFL 2k, APF 2k8, NBA 2k, and MLB 2k and would be an actual good game unlike their old college football game that was made by a completely different studio.
Yep, that's exactly my point. They would have a few months to add the NCAA stadiums and stuff. Based on what they have done in the past I would imagine they could do a good job of it.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:58 PM   #13
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by youALREADYknow

If 2K were to put out another NCAA game today, even using the APF2K foundation, then they would be behind the NCAA Football series.

It would be nice to see competition in the industry, but expecting some quick fix is unrealistic.

I also think most people would appreciate certain areas of NCAA Football more if there was a competitive product on the market. Not saying this game is anywhere close to being where it should be given this many years of development, but it still has a huge head start on the rest of the industry.

2K would be better suited to return to the NFL and compete with Madden from a business and competition perspective.
Because of the significant lead EA has over 2K in football, I wonder if there's any chance they'll pass on extending the exclusive license with the NCAA. It'd save them a great deal of money, and as others have said, who would really be in position to take advantage of the opening? Now, they'll do everything in their power to keep the NFL license from expiring because you're talking about a lot more money and companies would jump on that chance. But I don't know if there is enough money involved for other companies to try to put out a college game.

EA may very well let the license expire, but I doubt that means we'll be seeing another college football game any time soon.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:18 PM   #14
MVP

PrettyT11's Arena

OVR: 17

There is going to be no college football game from 2K. They tried it before it it didn't work at all. It was a horrible game that didn't sell at all. Aside from that though the man reason why there will not be one is money. Just look at college hoops 2K8. It was viewed as one of the best basketball games ever yet it still didn't sell well or make much money at all. 2K decided just to not pay for the NCAA liscense and stop making all college games all together. EA Sports college football game is really the only college game that has ever sold well. That is why it is the only college game being made of any sport.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:38 PM   #15
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyT11
There is going to be no college football game from 2K. They tried it before it it didn't work at all. It was a horrible game that didn't sell at all. Aside from that though the man reason why there will not be one is money. Just look at college hoops 2K8. It was viewed as one of the best basketball games ever yet it still didn't sell well or make much money at all. 2K decided just to not pay for the NCAA liscense and stop making all college games all together. EA Sports college football game is really the only college game that has ever sold well. That is why it is the only college game being made of any sport.
Choops was the best selling NCAA game and 2k stopped making them because the NCAA was asking for a lot of money every year. Thats also why EA is not making a NCAABB game this year.

And when there used to be a NCAAFB 2k game, it was not made by the same people who made NFL 2k4, 2k5, APF 28, etc.

― Plato
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-26-2010, 10:02 PM   #16
Pro

blakty's Arena

OVR: 6

I'd welcome another option for any other football game, but don't expect another publisher to come in and clean house with EA's games. It just won't happen that way. I think the backbreaker experiment was a success in that it introduced some things we wish we had in a football video game. I believe that if another serious college football game comes out it will take alot of time for it to be a real contender, but as fans football in general, we need patience.

That said, I think by then EA can potentially come out with the best football games in the future. We're just not there yet.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »