Home

O-Line play in this video...

This is a discussion on O-Line play in this video... within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-30-2011, 03:46 PM   #1
Banned

DJACK's Arena

OVR: 3
O-Line play in this video...

go to :58 of this video with the cal and oregon play

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3WT2GnVcvc

now watch each lineman interaction

LT- Is trying to block, and then warps to behind his man..
LG- Can't tell, looks alright
C- Is trying to block, and he also warps behind his man..
RG- Is double teaming with the Center, looks alright
RT- Is engaged, and the defender flies right through the middle of him.

Man, this is only like a 2 second clip and all of this happened.. What does EA have to say about this??
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2011, 03:53 PM   #2
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: O-Line play in this video...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJACK

Man, this is only like a 2 second clip and all of this happened.. What does EA have to say about this??
I gotta give it to you, you have a keen eye. I am hoping this is a product of an early build, as I am sure they are still tuning the new collision system.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:57 PM   #3
MVP

WDOgF0reL1fe's Arena

OVR: 27

I just dont get how they let players run the wrong way..
if you know what i mean.

Like in that clip at :58 you see the Dlineman pushing the wrong way.

If hes engaged with his back toward the QB wouldnt he just try turning around?

Follow me on Twitter yeah.
@WillSoistman
Dibs: Jennifer Aniston

"Success isn't earned, it's leased. Rent is due every damn day.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:59 PM   #4
Banned

DJACK's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDOgF0reL1fe
I just dont get how they let players run the wrong way..
if you know what i mean.

Like in that clip at :58 you see the Dlineman pushing the wrong way.

If hes engaged with his back toward the QB wouldnt he just try turning around?
Haha exactly.. I just hope this doesn't happen in the final product, because the linemen warp and swip positions twice in this short clip. I too hope this is an early version and it very well could be.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:05 PM   #5
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Haha exactly.. I just hope this doesn't happen in the final product, because the linemen warp and swip positions twice in this short clip. I too hope this is an early version and it very well could be.
I am not sure if they are in Beta yet, but I would almost bet these videos are from the Alpha build. If thats the case, most tuning and bug fixing happens in Beta.

Not saying it will be fixed because you just never know, but I don't think its time to panic yet. (not saying anyone is panicking)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2011, 05:55 PM   #6
Banned

Thinking Out Loud's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:

All these things were a good catch OP and thanks for pointing them out. I want to focus on the bolded part because this is an example of a issue I hope they can address before release.

I went back and watched this clip a lot as well as some youtube videos of Madden 11. I am not a programmer but it seems like EA football games are either missing animation(s) for a blocker to engage a player headed up field/towards the QB or they are not triggering. If a similar block from behind is attempted by a blocker on a player headed down field/away from the QB (ie. runs and punt/kick returns), there is a "block in back" animation that triggers.

However, that doesn't ever seem to trigger when the defender is headed up field. If this is right, even the new collision system will not stop warping on this block without an appropriate animation triggering.

Maybe somebody can tweet this to a dev because maybe then they can at least tune it so a "block in the back" animation triggers (which is not currently a clipping call every time) or no animation triggers at all. Either would be better than it "warping" into a face to face engagement animation, which seems like what frequently occurred last year and in this video.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:03 AM   #7
Banned

DJACK's Arena

I have just seen some of the screenshots for this game with the blocker and defender seemingly have switched positions, but now it's clear that this warping thing is what caused it.

http://www.operationsports.com/views...=157&outof=246

^^^Screenshot of the play in the video, you can see the Oregon defender on the left could just turn and run straight to the QB. And the Cal blocker should NEVER be on that side of the defender, especially when the QB is just finishing his dropback lol. Seeing it in motion you see how bad the warping is though.

Last edited by DJACK; 05-01-2011 at 12:11 AM.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:23 AM   #8
Rookie

theDude47's Arena

OVR: 2

Praying this is just the results of an Alpha build and they are going to correct before the game comes out. If not, they still need to do some major work on the O-line.

A lot of times the O-line either warps into a weird position or just stand there looking straight ahead with their hands held up and don't even try to block the defender. I feel like there needs to be an animation that helps the O-lineman direct the defender away from the QB yet the defender still gets by. That would be way more realistic that just letting the defender run by the O-lineman.

Also, there are way too many instances of lineman not doing anything. Lineman need to have enough awareness that if they don't have anyone to block in front of them, they need to go help out a teammate with a double team. Although you could count it as a double team, just look at the two lineman on the right in the shot from the video. One defender is engaged while the other guy just stands there waiting. That sure doesn't look like anything realistic. They should both have their hands on the guy either corralling him or pushing him away.

Maybe they will get things fixed and there will be no need to talk about it in the future. I'm still really excited for this game.

Last edited by theDude47; 05-01-2011 at 12:25 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »