Home

Anyone seen the Diving Catches??

This is a discussion on Anyone seen the Diving Catches?? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-20-2011, 06:52 PM   #41
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Anyone seen the Diving Catches??

Quote:
Originally Posted by RynoAid
guys, the feature was MANUAL dive catches. You must switch off to your WR and press X(Blue button on Xbox) to manually trigger the dive.
Quote:
please don't misunderstand...

The feature added this year was the ability to manual trigger a diving catch. Any element of CPU players diving or not diving is not a part of the enhancement.
Quote:
i never said they HAD to be triggered manually... the new feature is that they CAN be triggered manually.
I'm having trouble following you on this. They added manual dive catches to the game, but you don't necessarily have to press the dive button for them to occur. Correct?

Well, first of all, you could lay out for a pass last year. You probably wouldn't catch it, but you could attempt to make a diving catch. So, if EA did indeed tout the ability to "manually trigger a diving catch" as a new feature, then that's a flat out lie on their part. I was under the impression that they were touting the addition of new dive catch/stretch catch animations and the fact that these animations would take the place of "warping" receivers into position on passes that were just out of their reach.

Second of all, if you don't have to press the dive button to attempt a diving catch (or in other words the computer can trigger a diving catch animation on it's own), then isn't the original poster's observation that they never seem to happen still valid? I could understand bringing up this point if the OP had been complaining about never seeing any diving catches without knowing that the only way to see these animations was by manually triggering a diving catch animation (by pressing the dive button). However, that's not the case. You don't have to press the dive button for your player to attempt a diving catch. So what we're saying is that if you don't press the button yourself, then these animations never seem to happen.

And again, I'm happy that EA didn't overpower dive catches like they sometimes have a tendency to do with new features/animations/mechanics. Over-the-shoulder catches anyone? But the fact that I saw 1 diving catch, and zero "stretch" catches in a week of play is too low.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-20-2011, 07:00 PM   #42
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokes404
I'm having trouble following you on this. They added manual dive catches to the game, but you don't necessarily have to press the dive button for them to occur. Correct?

Well, first of all, you could lay out for a pass last year. You probably wouldn't catch it, but you could attempt to make a diving catch. So, if EA did indeed tout the ability to "manually trigger a diving catch" as a new feature, then that's a flat out lie on their part. I was under the impression that they were touting the addition of new dive catch/stretch catch animations and the fact that these animations would take the place of "warping" receivers into position on passes that were just out of their reach.

Second of all, if you don't have to press the dive button to attempt a diving catch (or in other words the computer can trigger a diving catch animation on it's own), then isn't the original poster's observation that they never seem to happen still valid? I could understand bringing up this point if the OP had been complaining about never seeing any diving catches without knowing that the only way to see these animations was by manually triggering a diving catch animation (by pressing the dive button). However, that's not the case. You don't have to press the dive button for your player to attempt a diving catch. So what we're saying is that if you don't press the button yourself, then these animations never seem to happen.

And again, I'm happy that EA didn't overpower dive catches like they sometimes have a tendency to do with new features/animations/mechanics. Over-the-shoulder catches anyone? But the fact that I saw 1 diving catch, and zero "stretch" catches in a week of play is too low.

its an entirely new diving catch animation that you have to trigger by pressing X at the right time. I have never saw it trigger any other way. I remember last year you could try to dive but it looked dumb and the ball would just bounce off you most the time. This new animation completely lays out properly.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:06 PM   #43
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39

So basically, for offline only guys it's yet, another advantage your WR/DB's have over the CPU's WR/DB's. I think I'll continue to let my teammates handle my catching for me. Well, offline anyway; online against another HUM opponents if they want to user catch I'll play their game.

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans
Old 07-20-2011, 07:08 PM   #44
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremym480
So basically, for offline only guys it's yet, another advantage your WR/DB's have over the CPU's WR/DB's. I think I'll continue to let my teammates handle my catching for me. Well, offline anyway; online against another HUM opponents if they want to user catch I'll play their game.
if you try to trigger it 10 times it might trigger once So I don't feel its very unfair...I only use it on overthrown balls I cant get to and hey I have a 1 in 10 chance to get there
Old 07-20-2011, 07:26 PM   #45
Pro

MMurda's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
i never said they HAD to be triggered manually... the new feature is that they CAN be triggered manually.
Yea thats exactly what my issue was in the op. The cpu has NEVER triggered one for me since launch and ive had plenty of appropriate balls thrown that the wr just lets sail right past em. I was trying to manual catch but i was doin it with y button which was my mistake. But according to u i shouldnt technically have to do it manually anyway. Thats my issue...they dont even have to actually catch em all the time..just attempt it.
----------------------
Madden Since '92

Last edited by MMurda; 07-20-2011 at 07:30 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2011, 10:39 AM   #46
Rookie

awil1026's Arena

OVR: 0

I know exactly how to dive catch. Most of the time its pretty useless since you will only be successful if the player is in position to make the catch without diving. But it does have its purpose if you throw a pass and you think the wide receiver wont be able to hold on to the ball. Their really is no time exact required timing for it either. You just take control of the receiver and while you are running hold X or Square (PS), you dont have to let it go either as they will recognize that you are attempting to dive an the animation will play out. Even if the ball is overthrown and you know the receiver wont have any chance to make it, hold X and you will see dive attempt animations will always play out. But i have never tried it on short routes, time for me to hit practice. But again, if the player isnt in position to make the catch normally, then he wont make it diving either, but it helps if you think the player will take a hit that will make him drop it on those long balls
Old 07-21-2011, 12:26 PM   #47
MVP

OVR: 19

I disagree with some that say they would rather not see it.

It happens more than often in college football.

One of the big issues is that there really isn't any leading a receiver in the game.
The ball is coded to go to a designated end-spot of the Off player's route.

There is no way to throw the ball to an area, then take hold of the WR and go and get it.
(no matter how inaccurate you try and make the QB through editing ratings/sliders to get an overthrow)

Many of the throws seem to consist of back throws (even when pressing oto lead) that makes the WR slow down and allow the Def player the ability to catch up and make the tackle.
(giving the "Perception" of improved Defensive play)

I have yet to see one.
Even with WR catch slider at 100, WR Spec-catch at 100.

The main issue is that there is nothing the gamer can do to trigure the animation on a regular basis.

The Big Black Eye is that it is an feature that they've advertised that is not showing up in the game as some thought they might see.

For issues like this, they should release Tuners individualy so that gamers have the option to choose if they want.

Last edited by khaliib; 07-21-2011 at 12:41 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:32 PM   #48
MVP

PaperBoyx703's Arena

OVR: 22

I havent seens the catch dives yet.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »