Home

Do DB Ratings Even Matter?

This is a discussion on Do DB Ratings Even Matter? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-11-2011, 01:03 PM   #25
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: Do DB Ratings Even Matter?

Another thing you got take in account is the speed of players on default rosters. Way too many CBs and safeties have speed in the mid 90s to upper 90s. Way too many safeties have zone coverage in the mid to upper 90s. Way too many corners have man coverage in the 90s as well.

Even with bad coverage ratings, their high speed can let them get back into position if the ball hangs up in the air too long.

So one of the 1st things people need to do is reduce the speed of corner backs, safeties, WRs, TEs, running backs.

Second thing people need to do greatly reduce the zone coverage ratings of safeties in the game. Not every safety should be Ed Reed or Troy Polumalu. Don't need their zone coverage rating to be in the upper 90s just to be effective in zone. Once you get passed 90, a player becomes VERY good in that rating.

Third thing.......route running is over blown for 99% of the WRs and Tight Ends in this game. Way too many have route running in the upper 90s. That is the main reason why people complain DB jams don't work well.

Route running not only determines how well a WR runs routes and how fast they get open, but it is also a WR's balance rating. A WR with a lower route running rating slips and stumbles more when they are jammed by a defender. But when their rating is in the upper 90s, like most are on default rosters, jams won't knock them off balance at all.

Another thing people need to edit is the jump rating.......Way too many players with that rating in the upper 90s. This isn't basketball and these players aren't Jordan either.

Sure it is a lot of work.....but underneath all the over blown ratings BS that is the default roster, is one hell of a game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2011, 01:22 PM   #26
MVP

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School SD Fan
Again, what level? What CPU pass coverage sliders? What teams/players? How much have you played?

People I hear arguing the point have played very little or are playing head to head, not dynasty games versus CPU.
Save a test roster file and tweak the ratings for any player/players you want to test. I'v done this and its pretty effective in finding out what the ratings actually do. Just pick the same team to play against during testing so you get the most accurate results. Don't use practice mode
Old 09-11-2011, 01:26 PM   #27
MVP

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
Another thing you got take in account is the speed of players on default rosters. Way too many CBs and safeties have speed in the mid 90s to upper 90s. Way too many safeties have zone coverage in the mid to upper 90s. Way too many corners have man coverage in the 90s as well.

Even with bad coverage ratings, their high speed can let them get back into position if the ball hangs up in the air too long.

So one of the 1st things people need to do is reduce the speed of corner backs, safeties, WRs, TEs, running backs.

Second thing people need to do greatly reduce the zone coverage ratings of safeties in the game. Not every safety should be Ed Reed or Troy Polumalu. Don't need their zone coverage rating to be in the upper 90s just to be effective in zone. Once you get passed 90, a player becomes VERY good in that rating.

Third thing.......route running is over blown for 99% of the WRs and Tight Ends in this game. Way too many have route running in the upper 90s. That is the main reason why people complain DB jams don't work well.

Route running not only determines how well a WR runs routes and how fast they get open, but it is also a WR's balance rating. A WR with a lower route running rating slips and stumbles more when they are jammed by a defender. But when their rating is in the upper 90s, like most are on default rosters, jams won't knock them off balance at all.

Another thing people need to edit is the jump rating.......Way too many players with that rating in the upper 90s. This isn't basketball and these players aren't Jordan either.

Sure it is a lot of work.....but underneath all the over blown ratings BS that is the default roster, is one hell of a game.
Exactly.......I did this because I noticed how jacked the speed/acceleration/agility was and I went through and cleaned it up. The game playes so much better when you do this.
Old 09-11-2011, 01:38 PM   #28
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School SD Fan
I never suggested you couldn't tell some difference at other positions.

However, those more expert than I have opined that certain ratings set above a certain level cause the DB's to perform similarly regardless of other ratings, and I agree. Anything less than another tuner set or massive ratings revision to a roster will leave 60 CB's glued to your 90 receivers all day. And that's on Varsity level, I've never cared to increase my frustration level by going higher.

EA always overcompensates to cover AI deficiencies, this year DB's don't make enough plays on the balls so they compensated by gluing them to the receivers. Finding an open man is rare, you have to throw into coverage and hope your guy has a high CIT rating.

Anyone that doesn't see that 60 CB's and 90 CB's perform almost the same above Frosh level must be playing a different game than I am. Why would my experiences at Varsity with CPU coverage slider at ZERO be SO different?
That's not true at all. My WR's at Miami can constantly get open against Virginia, Boston College, K-State, etc. while they have a tougher time when I play against OSU, VT, FSU. My corners at Baylor are easily worse than the ones at Miami. At Miami I can run man all game and not get torn up because the DB's are pretty good on that team. However, at Baylor I would get destroyed if I tried running man all game. They're corners are fast, but they are young and just can't cover as consistently as the ones I have at Miami.

I'm just going to have to disagree with you. I can definitely tell a difference between a 90 overall CB and a 60 overall CB. Heck, even 90 and 80 are noticeably different. Most people say ratings don't matter, but from my experience with this game and last years game, ratings do matter. I can tell a difference between all positions, most noticeably with lineman and least noticeably with running backs, but there are enough differences between RB's that I can still see it. EA may not execute everything very well, but the past few years I really feel like they've finally gotten ratings to matter.

― Plato
Old 09-11-2011, 01:52 PM   #29
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
That's not true at all. My WR's at Miami can constantly get open against Virginia, Boston College, K-State, etc. while they have a tougher time when I play against OSU, VT, FSU. My corners at Baylor are easily worse than the ones at Miami. At Miami I can run man all game and not get torn up because the DB's are pretty good on that team. However, at Baylor I would get destroyed if I tried running man all game. They're corners are fast, but they are young and just can't cover as consistently as the ones I have at Miami.

I'm just going to have to disagree with you. I can definitely tell a difference between a 90 overall CB and a 60 overall CB. Heck, even 90 and 80 are noticeably different. Most people say ratings don't matter, but from my experience with this game and last years game, ratings do matter. I can tell a difference between all positions, most noticeably with lineman and least noticeably with running backs, but there are enough differences between RB's that I can still see it. EA may not execute everything very well, but the past few years I really feel like they've finally gotten ratings to matter.
I agree with this completely. I think it even more apparent after the patch. Now if you don't get good pressure on the QB, mediocre LB's and DB's will get toasted repeatedly.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:13 PM   #30
Hall Of Fame

Playmakers's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
Yeah basically, you have to lower ratings WAY LOW before you see a visual change in their AI. Takes a while to edit the roster, but in the end, it is definitely worth it IMO.
we've been preaching this for 2-3 years but the bottom line is 80% of gamers aren't willing to make that sacrafice

So what you or i might see on the field is the opposite of what many others gamers will see because of player edits

It should be obvious to everyone by now just from the vidoes and threads that we have shared with the community that edited rosters is really the best way to go about fixing problems

yes you can rely on tuners and patches but at the end of day those things don't change certain ratings that might hinder gameplay

That is why i think EA opened up the option to edit ratings at anytime because they know themselves they have to create a game that appeals to the casual gamer 1st that is their bread and butter not a guy like you or myself who study what ratings do to each position

I'm just glad they fixed tendencies so i can now start messing ratings more myself

Follow some the Greatest College Football players of All Time in NCAA Football 14
Old 09-11-2011, 08:57 PM   #31
Pro

OVR: 10

If people would just take a look at Gots and Playmakers ideals...the game goes to another level. Myself...yes, i have took the 2 weeks to edit every teams roster...mainly the awareness rating. I have found a starting 4 year Sr with an awareness rating of 38. This is why when you play with a team or against a team and players are all over the place. In coach mode, I think you will see the biggest change in gameplay.

No amount of sliders are going to fix these types of issues. Yes...it took 2 weeks, but the gameplay for me in my coach mode dynasty is 200% better. With a few more edits to the speed and I will be ready to go.

Sometimes I think people want to complain, but don't want to put the effort or work into making the game more enjoyable. Instead, complain that a roster maker left a guy off the depth chart, instead of fixing YOUR roster yourself. I have seen people say...well if I got to do that...forget it. Well folks this is a game...not the real thing, and EA did not say it was the real thing. People like Gots, Playmakers, and the Roster makers try and get the game to realist gameplay as possible. And for me I am truely greatful for their insight.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2011, 09:11 PM   #32
Pro

OVR: 3

I have to say I agree 100% with editing rosters for realistic gameplay. The results are well worth the time and effort put in. It pulls out so many of the little things lacking in the default game. I love seeing the bigger players stumble, the smaller DBs rely on tackle attempts at the knees, and actually seeing the CPU execute a flea flicker. The problem lies with the default rosters beeing so extremely overated in all the wrong areas, mostly on the BCS conference teams. Instead of using ratings like PRC, RR, ect. to seperate players from the MAC from the SEC they inflate SPD, STR, etc. resulting in a bunch of super human Spartan Soldiers. EA should rely more on what is inside the players helmet when seperating it's players.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »