Home

So....I just spread the field at the 3 yard line...

This is a discussion on So....I just spread the field at the 3 yard line... within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-15-2011, 01:32 PM   #25
Stay thirsty my friends

goalieump413's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: So....I just spread the field at the 3 yard line...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
...That coach would get fired. And that is the whole point of the thread. CPU needs to respect the formation they are facing.
It wouldn't take long either. I'd give it 2 games.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2011, 01:46 PM   #26
MVP

Kriech23's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycodmn
To be fair, if you're coming out with 5 WR at the 3 yard line, I'm coming out in a 4-4 and blitzing up the middle. There's so little field to defend there, I'd feel safe with the coverage, and you're most likely to run up the gut. A goalline set isn't *that* crazy, because you can still cover the 13 yards pretty easily in zone.
Honestly though this. I mean, yeah, if you hot route receivers or audible to a different play then, I'm pretty sure I can do the same on defense. It's not that hard to combat this.

Although how the CPU knows a draw/run is coming is not right.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:15 PM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 5

Guys, this isn't a new issue. This has always been the case with NCAA football, even going back to the original playstation. As someone pointed out earlier, you can still slice and dice these psychic defenses by "pulling a Peyton Manning" with hot routing and audibles. Example: I call a run play yesterday out of the spread, and I notice the safeties showing blitz before the snap. I quick audible for a deep pass, max protect. I snap the ball and toss it to my speedy slot receiver who is outrunning his man on man coverage. Boom, easy 6 points.

Besides, in the OP's situation you can run a 5 wide pass play and just tuck it and run up the middle. 6 points. QB sneak, and the CPU didn't see it coming.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:21 PM   #28
Pro

sycodmn's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalieump413
And if I see that D, my hot read is a stop route in the endzone for an easy 6.
Probably, but, then again, my philosophy is that I never should have let you get to the three yard line anyway

I agree that the CPU shouldn't know what you're running, but it'd make offense even easier if it didn't. In an ideal world, it'd track tendencies and such, but I'm not sure how feasible that is on this gen.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:24 PM   #29
Rookie

prd689's Arena

Yes it sounds easy to counter out of the defense aligning like that... BUT... what pisses me off is when they audible with you. You are in 5 WR set and do a Qb draw, defense does goalline. If you audible to pass, they spread out and for whatever reason their defensive ends are still able to cover like corners.

Our OD is in Heisman difficult and I see this a lot. There are counters to it, and yes running with the QB is the most viable option. However, if the computer doesn't want you to score, there is no way you can even will your guys to do it. Either a guy scoots free and unblocked, or they stone wall you at the half inch line or what have you....

It's tiresome and frustrating.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:44 PM   #30
MVP

TDenverFan's Arena

OVR: 40

I find the opposite of this to be true, personally.

I use 5 wide on the goaline and can easily burn the CPU, whos lined up in goal line formation.
NCAA: The College of William and Mary Tribe

William and Mary Class of 2018!
Old 09-15-2011, 03:53 PM   #31
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by prd689
Yes it sounds easy to counter out of the defense aligning like that... BUT... what pisses me off is when they audible with you. You are in 5 WR set and do a Qb draw, defense does goalline. If you audible to pass, they spread out and for whatever reason their defensive ends are still able to cover like corners.

Our OD is in Heisman difficult and I see this a lot. There are counters to it, and yes running with the QB is the most viable option. However, if the computer doesn't want you to score, there is no way you can even will your guys to do it. Either a guy scoots free and unblocked, or they stone wall you at the half inch line or what have you....

It's tiresome and frustrating.
The bolded part is the true problem. I don't have a huge problem that the CPU comes out in formations and plays that make it obvious they know the play call, I do have a problem with them being able to change to defend my counter to that. It is EA's way of making a competitive game and it is stupid.

That being said, it isn't entirely out of the realm of reality for defenses to refuse to matchup personnel or honor a spread out offense. How do you think Oregon steamrolls people so often? They constantly run constraint plays to keep the defense honest and when the defense cheats, they crush them. LSU was so successful against Oregon because they didn't need to cheat to stop the run, their DL dominated up front.

Teams that don't run the spread effectively don't run constraint plays or don't execute one part of the offense well and defenses cheat. So you'll see extra LB's on the field lining up in the box.

Now, goal line vs 5WR obviously stretches that a bit too far, but I'll admit I've gone goal line vs 5WR in user games and I've had it work well. It is ridiculous that we need to play this way, but it isn't too far outside of reality for a defense to come out in something and force you to change your play. Why do you think so many defenses take a timeout after the offense lines up for a 2 point conversion or important 3rd down/red zone situations? It is because offenses go to their "money" play in these situations, the D can see how they align and call a timeout to either gameplan for that alignment (knowing what they've seen on film) or force the offense to go to a second best option.

Not arguing against the point here, since it is absolutely correct, just exploring a few different options.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2011, 04:57 PM   #32
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerd02
I think i would rather have the game cheat then win every game by 40. Would i like cheating out of the game, yeah, but obviously we're not there yet so i'll take cheating over what could be a lot worse.
This is 100% how I feel on the subject. I actually don't mind at all that the CPU knows my play call as it makes the game more challenging.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »