Home

CPU Head Coach Firings?

This is a discussion on CPU Head Coach Firings? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-15-2011, 02:57 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
CPU Head Coach Firings?

I have two questions with the hopes that we can all post our coaching carousel experiences.

Do CPU head coaches get fired before their contract is up?
I'm half way through year 2 of my OD as the OC for Ole Miss. I won the NC in year one and am currently undefeated in season 2 with an A+ coach prestige and 100% job security. I've exceeded every goal and will fail only one goal, 60% pass completion percentage over the 2 year contract. My contract ends this year and in looking at other head coach job security ratings, I've noticed that Ohio State's HC has a 9% job security, Florida's HC is 20%, Auburn's HC is 20% and Texas HC is 30%. All of these guys have a 3 year contract which leaves them with one year left.

What major HC jobs have you been offered, in what year and were you a HC or OC when offered?
I'm currently an OC for Ole Miss in the SEC and I'd like to know if I need to wait for an elite HC position, take an elite OC position or take a lower level HC position to meet my goal of becoming a HC at a 6 star program. My idea has been to see what I get offered after season 2 as an OC with an A+ prestige rating. If I don't receive an elite HC offer then am I expecting to much and should I take an OC position at a higher level school or a HC position at the best offered school.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-16-2011, 12:50 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: CPU Head Coach Firings?

After reading a few reviews on the coaching carousel, I see that CPU coaches can be fired before their contract expires but I wonder how often this happens to coaches of the major programs and what is the magic number for them to fall below that causes their team to fire them. The Ohio State coach has a 9% approval rating which makes it seem that he will for sure be fired but the Texas coach is at 30%, is that low enough to fire him or does it need to be lower. There must be some sort of set approval rating number which causes them to be let go from their contract early.

The reviews that I've read also make the coaching carousel sound elongated in regards to obtaining the dream position. They each said that a coach will move up a few times from one school to the next before receiving an offer from a 5 or 6 star school. I'm in year 2 with an A+ prestige and hope to get an offer for the HC position from a major school going into year 3. Am I dreaming or does winning a NC, a Heisman, the SEC championship, and surpassing goals in nearly every aspect earn me a shot at becoming the HC of a school like Texas or Florida if it becomes available. Some of you must have some stories from your dynasties. What positions have come open? What have you been offered? If you've become the best OC or DC in the country has it earned you a top HC offer or were you ever passed over?

I'd like to get some ideas of what twists and turns the carousel has given you in your dynasty. There should be some good or frustrating stories out there so please share.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:41 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 1

Well I started out as DC of my TB team Eastern Arizona in the WAC. After like 4 seasons I got a HC offer from UTEP. After a season with UTEP that ended with a C-USA title, I got offered a HC job at Oregon State. They were down to like 3* prestige and coming off a 1-11 season. Luckily they had a lot of talent but just underperformed. I'm in my 4th season with them and barring a major late season meltdown I'll end with 1NC, 3 Pac-12 titles (if I win it in the season I'm in now), and 2 Rose Bowl wins (again if this year ends right) in 4 seasons. The other day I simmed to the end of the season to see what the carousel had in store for me. All I got was a few DC offers from big programs (Auburn, ND, Wisconsin) and some HC offers from middle of the road schools.

Also, I saw Nick Saban get fired from Bama after a 13-1 season (lost the NC game to Wisconsin) and is now the DC at Wake.

So don't expect LSU to come knocking after 2 good seasons as a OC...
Old 12-16-2011, 06:00 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondok
The other day I simmed to the end of the season to see what the carousel had in store for me. All I got was a few DC offers from big programs (Auburn, ND, Wisconsin) and some HC offers from middle of the road schools.

So don't expect LSU to come knocking after 2 good seasons as a OC...
Thanks for your reply Boondock. That is kind of depressing to hear. Ohio State, Florida, Auburn and Texas may all fire their coaches after this year in my OD. From what you say, it sounds like even with 2 NCs, 2 SEC titles, 1 Heisman and an A+ coach prestige; I probably wont get offered any of those positions as the OC of Ole Miss. I guess that I should take the best position that opens up if its the OC for one of those teams or the HC of a mid level school.

Did anyone else have a similar experience to Boondock or did you get an awesome HC offer a few years in?
Old 12-17-2011, 02:14 AM   #5
MVP

olemiss86's Arena

OVR: 12

My most recent Dynasty I started out as the OC at Louisiana Tech. I was there for 2 years....9-4 both seasons. Wake Forest offered me the OC job after that 2nd season. I decided to take it. Went 8-5 and 10-4 (ACC champions) before being offered these jobs:

Arkansas: HC
Auburn: HC
Missouri: HC
Virginia: HC
Marshal: HC
Ole Miss: OC (Alma Mater)

I took the Auburn job. That is is one of my dream jobs. After my first season there, Ole Miss offered me the HC job. I turned it down to stay at Auburn. I've been at Auburn ever since. In my 7th season.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-17-2011, 04:12 AM   #6
Rookie

ChristianDasher's Arena

1. Even though it's been answered, no, coaches don't get fired in the middle of a year (although a few should be). I also notice that teams with unbelievable talent have horrible seasons. I watched LSU the second year of a dynasty go 3-9. The coaching security that you see for both yourself and the AI coaches is equivalent, if they fail to meet their goals then they will be fired, mind you they aren't required to win the national championship every year, but a six star school shouldn't be going 3-9.

What major HC jobs have you been offered, in what year and were you a HC or OC when offered?
2. I'm playing two offline dynasties currently and have played many more.
1st Dynasty I started off as DC of USM.
1st Season: 9-4 Bowl victory
2nd Season 11-2 Bowl victory
3rd Season 14-0 C-USA Title Sugar Bowl win (No NC)

Offered DC at USC.
4th Season 10-3 Pac 12 Title and Rose Bowl win
5th Season 14-0 Pac 12 Title and NC loss

Offered HC at LSU (Alma Mater)
20+ years (:

2nd Dynasty started off as OC at Utah St
1st Season 7-6 Bowl win
2nd Season 9-4 Bowl win
3rd Season 11-2 WAC title and Sugar Bowl win

Offered HC at Vandy
4th Season 7-6 Bowl win
5th Season 10-3 Bowl win
6th Season 11-3 SEC Title and Sugar Bowl win
Contract was up and the best offers I had were HC jobs at 1 star schools and OC at three star schools. At this point Vandy was now a 5 star school so I renewed my contract.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:56 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 1

Mine went different, and actually went somewhat realistic:

1st Season:
OC at UAB, went 7-6 and won a Bowl
Only UAB's second bowl game in their history

2nd Season:
Offered OC job at Tennessee
Went 8-5, WR won the Receiver of the Year award, set school records for QB passing, WR receptions and WR yards.

3rd Season:
Offered HC Job at Penn State
Won 3 straight National Championships
3rd season: 14-0
4th season: 13-1
5th season: 13-1

6th Season:
Wasn't thrilled about using Penn State with all the stuff going on there, and hadn't been offered a Contract Extension after winning my first two titles, so I left.

Here's the cool part. UCLA had just gone 11-2 and gone to the Rose Bowl with Rick Neuheisul, who was a B+ prestige coach. On their prospective candidates board, it showed that the only thing UCLA was going to do in the off season was re-sign him. But when I came available, they offered me the HC job (and I took it)!

I've seen a lot of complaints about the Carousel logic, but it seems to be working fine on mine so far. (knock on wood!)
Old 12-19-2011, 03:03 PM   #8
Rookie

Good posts, thanks guys. Looks like I should take an OC job at a 5 or 6 star school if offered or take a HC job at a 3 or 4 star school if offered. Based on what you guys are saying it doesn't look like I'll be offered a HC position at a 5 or 6 star school after only 2 years as the OC of Ole Miss. What do you guys think is a potential type of offer I'll receive based on the following:
  • As OC of Ole Miss, my 2 year contract is up after this season
  • I have an A+ coach prestige
  • I have completed all of my goals (except for 60% passing completions)
  • Ole Miss was a 3 star school, is a 4 star school now and will most likely be a 5 star school when this season is over
  • 1st year - won National Championship, won SEC Championship, won Heisman
  • 2nd year - 7-0 so far, ranked #1 in all 3 polls, will most likely win SEC champ., may win National Championship (but will be tough because another really good member of my OD is currently ranked #2)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »