Home

Cheesing/Cheating and Why?

This is a discussion on Cheesing/Cheating and Why? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-20-2013, 11:06 PM   #1
Rookie

Blackout863's Arena

OVR: 14
Cheesing/Cheating and Why?

Im just curious why people do it. There is a difference between playing your style and abusing AI. Why do people find the need to do it. Espeiclally people that advertise themselves is "Sim".

Also a little off topic but how is it making the game tougher if you slant the sliders in total favor of the CPU. Are you ok with cheating the user?

PSN - MrHeavyInTheGame

"For the good, they fold, but for us the GREAT… WE FOCUS and get our job done" - Michael Irvin aka The Playmaker
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-20-2013, 11:15 PM   #2
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Cheesing/Cheating and Why?

I'm not sure if your post was rhetorical or not, but it's pretty obvious why people cheat. It's because they want to win and that's what matters most. It's not tough to figure that out (which is why I'm sure your post must've been rhetorical).
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Old 02-20-2013, 11:20 PM   #3
Rookie

Blackout863's Arena

OVR: 14

Im just tired of dealing with cheap stuff. You boast that your OD is Sim but then all i see is cheap tactics. The Commish looks the other way and then come championship time, you call the person out and the commish does nothing about it. Then you're scum because you retire. How in the world.

I have been playing video game football and using this site forever but maybe I'm just out of touch but when you say SIM STYLE, i think you play realistic football, realistic concepts and realistic game play. If you see it on Saturday or Sunday, you do it. Not, you bend the rules when its convenient.

PSN - MrHeavyInTheGame

"For the good, they fold, but for us the GREAT… WE FOCUS and get our job done" - Michael Irvin aka The Playmaker
Old 02-21-2013, 11:03 AM   #4
Pro

DucksForever's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackout863
Im just tired of dealing with cheap stuff. You boast that your OD is Sim but then all i see is cheap tactics. The Commish looks the other way and then come championship time, you call the person out and the commish does nothing about it. Then you're scum because you retire. How in the world.

I have been playing video game football and using this site forever but maybe I'm just out of touch but when you say SIM STYLE, i think you play realistic football, realistic concepts and realistic game play. If you see it on Saturday or Sunday, you do it. Not, you bend the rules when its convenient.
I prefer to play realistic Sim style football, but it depends on what type of gamer you are. I really don't have a problem with someone using exploits and whatnot against the CPU because it's their game. However, when they're in a Sim style dynasty, they should adhere to those rules.

"What we have accomplished is that we have shown ourselves that we are capable." -Les Miles
Old 02-21-2013, 09:25 PM   #5
Pro

Haze88's Arena

OVR: 5

My problem with "sim" is that it is so subjective. What may be sim to me is "cheese" to someone else. For example I got into an argument on this forum on whether running fake punts/fg's were cheese.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2013, 06:15 PM   #6
MVP

Kaiser Wilhelm's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haze88
My problem with "sim" is that it is so subjective. What may be sim to me is "cheese" to someone else. For example I got into an argument on this forum on whether running fake punts/fg's were cheese.
While some people have their own ideas, there is one general rule that applies to all definitions: can the AI handle it? If the AI cannot handle it, then it is an exploit.

The best example for this are the old nano blitzes. They were basically a simple overload blitz which is itself not a cheap tactic. The problem came when the AI failed to have any counter to this blitz. The offensive line could not adjust properly, the animations were too slow, the runningback wouldn't lock correctly etc. What it all led to was a terrible exploit that allowed the player to game the game.

Other examples include using "money plays" that the AI cannot handle on its own given the correct counter scheme. I think for a while Four Verticals was like this or still is. A few years ago, almost any outside run play was money unless the CB broke free because the AI could not remotely set contain. This is still a problem but less of one.

In short, taking advantage of the programming flaws rather than using football logic. In the Original Post, rolling out the QB is obvious cheese because it is a terrible idea in reality to just roll out your QB on every play. The problem being it exploits the coverage AI and is nigh impossible to stop given how the AI controls the edge.
If anybody is interested in a "spiritual successor to the socom franchise, check out this thread.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:33 PM   #7
Rookie

Buckeyed's Arena

OVR: 6

Cheese:

Roll out every play/drop back 100 steps without being pressured
Going for it every 4th down
Squib/onside kick every time
Four verts every play
QB goes 10-11, 9 rec. by same WR for average of 25+ yds
Keeping starters in when up a bunch to pad stats
No huddle 2nd half after being up 3+ scores
Moving a Player to an unnatural position to exploit the AI. Speed WR in at TE to run streaks against the LB
Run four verts only to take off with fast QB every time. The CPU likes this on a lot. Haha

These are just a few I have seen this year. Just because a player can't stop it does not mean it is cheese though.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:42 PM   #8
Rookie

War34Eagle's Arena

OVR: 3

Honest question, would you guys consider kicking line drives away from the PR as cheese? If you do it full power, it goes past the returner before he can get it, and if done right can lead to consistently stopping it inside the 15. You don't see it in real life, but I feel like if a team tried it, it could work... And of course, if you miss and accidently kick it to the PR, its a short punt and easy return.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »