Home

Am I the only one throwing a huge number of picks?

This is a discussion on Am I the only one throwing a huge number of picks? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-21-2013, 11:33 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Am I the only one throwing a huge number of picks?

I had this problem on varsity and AA difficulty for a long time (on '13), throwing 2 picks every game, where the CPU QB's who were up for awards would throw about 5 the whole season. DB's/LB's would seriously intercept every pass remotely near them, where my DB's would rarely intercept and only deflect, even when they were easy picks. After seeing some talk on here recently (I only found this site about three weeks ago) I finally switched to Heisman and turned the CPU intercept slider down to about 20, so they still break up passes smartly, but aren't interception wizards anymore.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:37 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by UWfan206
I am also throwing lots of picks.

Last game I played with Florida offline in my dynasty threw 4 picks and my receivers dropped 9 total passes from Jeff Driskell. And I was playing against Arkansas at home in the rain...
Always set your pass catching to Conservative (L1 on the PS3). That is all.

Ok, that's not really all. I use the comeback routes a few times per game and I only get picked when I'm stupid and don't see the OLB or safety shading to that side. Every pick I've thrown on that route was my fault.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:57 AM   #19
Rookie

Threw 22 TDs and 36 picks my first season. Prolly the same 2nd year but I was too sick to look. THEY CATCH EVERYTHING!!!
Old 07-22-2013, 04:14 AM   #20
Banned

ghettogeeksta's Arena

OVR: 12

Your problem is that you run a very safe offense, if you wanna improve you offense and throw less picks, come out in 4 or 5 wide set and receivers will be running open everywhere.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:11 AM   #21
MVP

brandon27's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedGreen710
In my mind, the problem is that only defenders undercut throws and change direction to better be in position to make the play on the ball. Receivers just run their route and wait for the ball to land in their hands lol its ridiculous
That is what bothers me most about NCAA and Madden. The defensive players always break, and fight for the ball, the WR's just keep running in a straight line as if they are completely oblivious that the ball is being thrown to them. It's like the defensive players awareness is rated 99, and the WR's are -99. Of course you can take control of the WR and try and make the catch yourself, but that can be tricky and just as deadly if you dont make the play.

That beign said, I haven't had any major issues with picks this year. Last year I was terrible at the start. I'd throw them constantly. At least 2 a game, if not more. Now it's pretty rare. The ones I do throw now it's usually I'm under pressure or on the run and I'm trying to force something, rather than throwing it away, or I just plain and simply make a boneheaded decision. Quite frankly I deserve those.

I don't know if they toned down the INT's this year, or if I've simply just gotten that used to the new passing systems now.

All I can say is wait until the WR is about to make his cuts in his routes. You've got to anticipate, and lead the WR too, whether its out of his break, or away from coverage. The other thing you've got to be careful of is the issue mentioned above. Never, ever throw that ball on a slant, or an in/out if the DB has that inside position on the route, or is running side by side with your WR. They will always break on the ball, the WR will just run like the wind to nowhere. Of course, be sure to pay attention to what pass trajectories you are using too. You cant just lob every pass, or rifle every pass in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlucky 13
I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but suggesting that someone quit doing something that their offensive gameplan is based upon isn't the most helpful suggestion.
It is true though, if you run comeback routes alot ( I tend to as well when I really need some yards) The D eventually catches on. Much like you can set up plays on offense to catch the D with playaction, the D is watching you and catching you when you get repetitive. I've never seen the safety make a quick miraculous break like that on a comback route early in the game, but after I've run it a few times, you definitely see it. It's likely because you've become too predictable. I've even seen the CB's jump in and break up, or pick off passes like that. They become ten times more aware if you become repetitive. If I find I've gotten to that point, instead of calling the comback routes, I'll call the play with the comebacks, and call hotroutes to switch my WR's to slants. You'll likely get jammed at the line, but then the CB's backoff to sit on your comeback route, leaving your WR open on the slant.

Just something to think about or try maybe.

Alot of times too though, remember, the Safety is often just hanging out back there watching the QB waiting to break on the ball. It's his job. I do agree, sometimes they move WAY to fast though.

Last edited by brandon27; 07-22-2013 at 09:18 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-22-2013, 09:49 AM   #22
Rookie

apoulton1's Arena

I play on Heisman and haven't had any trouble with throwing too many picks. If I do its my dumb mistake. But, ive always been good at throwing the ball in NCAA, my downfall is finding holes in the running game.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:32 AM   #23
MVP

Earl1963's Arena

OVR: 11

I using a freshman QB so I expect some picks. But 12 INT's in 3 games is kinda crazy.

Getting better by taking control of my receiver more often.

Last edited by Earl1963; 07-22-2013 at 11:34 AM.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:40 AM   #24
Pro

Biizz713's Arena

I'm throwing mad interceptions on deep balls. when I see 1 on 1 coverage no safety help i'll throw it up from time to time and a lot of the time my QB just noodle arms it. it's like you have to wait 5 seconds before the game will actually allow you to lead your receiver, which means i'm also getting sacked a lot on these plays.

in my opinion if i'm holding up on the left stick when I throw the ball there is absolutely no reason why it should be underthrown unless the receiver is like 70 yards down the field or something. overthrown? sure, that's fine, but the underthrows really annoy me.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »