Home

Can pocket passers win the Heisman?

This is a discussion on Can pocket passers win the Heisman? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-07-2013, 04:01 PM   #1
MVP

DorianDonP's Arena

OVR: 9
Can pocket passers win the Heisman?

My first dynasty run through, Georgia's Aaron Murray passed for something like 4500 yards and 51 TDs, and led Georgia to a 11-1 record. In the SEC.

I figured for sure he would win the Heisman but when I checked the Heisman finalist he wasn't even listed. He won the Davey O'Brien award but nothing else.

Doing another run through of Dynasty and I'm paying closer attention, and once again Murray is leading the nation in TD throws, has Georgia undefeated, yet he isn't even a candidate yet. I'm in November of my Dynasty.

AJ McCaron is also having a great season statistically, but he isn't a candidate either even though he started the pre-season as one. David Carr's brother is putting up huge numbers and has Fresno ranked in the top 10 but he isn't a candidate either.

There are 5 Heisman contenders, and all of them are dual threat. All of them have less touchdowns and yards than Murray. Manziel of TA&M. Mariota of Oregon. Miller of Ohio State. Bridgewater of Louisville. Boyd of Clemson. Miller is completing like 50% of his passes and Boyd and Clemson have 2 Ls.

I'm starting to believe that it has been coded so that dual threat guys are valued more than pocket passers in the heisman voting. But I'd like some Operation Sports input to see if that hypothesis holds up. Have any of you seen any pocket passers winning the Heisman? Or even being Heisman candidates? I'm talking about players that finish the year with negative rushing yards and less than a handful of rushing TDs.

Last edited by DorianDonP; 08-07-2013 at 04:18 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2013, 04:07 PM   #2
The Designated Hitter

BA2929's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Can pocket passers win the Heisman?

I'm using Tulane and Nick Montana destroyed everyone in passing and passing TDs. He won ALL the post-season QB awards AND was 1st Team All-American. However, he lost the Heisman to a dual threat guy and I don't believe Montana was even on the Heisman list.

So, at least in my experience, your idea holds water.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:15 PM   #3
Be Good To One Another

The JareBear's Arena

OVR: 49

Nice observation Dorian. I have noticed similar things. The "coding" definitely seems to favor any sort of rushing yards heavier than passing yards/TDs

OS Blog

The Tortured Mind Of A Rockies Fan. In Arenado I Trust.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:51 PM   #4
Rookie

BrockOchoGOAT's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianDonP
My first dynasty run through, Georgia's Aaron Murray passed for something like 4500 yards and 51 TDs, and led Georgia to a 11-1 record. In the SEC.

I figured for sure he would win the Heisman but when I checked the Heisman finalist he wasn't even listed. He won the Davey O'Brien award but nothing else.

Doing another run through of Dynasty and I'm paying closer attention, and once again Murray is leading the nation in TD throws, has Georgia undefeated, yet he isn't even a candidate yet. I'm in November of my Dynasty.

AJ McCaron is also having a great season statistically, but he isn't a candidate either even though he started the pre-season as one. David Carr's brother is putting up huge numbers and has Fresno ranked in the top 10 but he isn't a candidate either.

There are 5 Heisman contenders, and all of them are dual threat. All of them have less touchdowns and yards than Murray. Manziel of TA&M. Mariota of Oregon. Miller of Ohio State. Bridgewater of Louisville. Boyd of Clemson. Miller is completing like 50% of his passes and Boyd and Clemson have 2 Ls.

I'm starting to believe that it has been coded so that dual threat guys are valued more than pocket passers in the heisman voting. But I'd like some Operation Sports input to see if that hypothesis holds up. Have any of you seen any pocket passers winning the Heisman? Or even being Heisman candidates? I'm talking about players that finish the year with negative rushing yards and less than a handful of rushing TDs.
I did an Online Dynasty with a friend where we had to pass every play (don't ask why). Anyway, we both put up MONSTER PASSING stats, were easily #1 and #2 in the O'Brien, but neither of us were even Heisman Finalists. I think that the Heisman formula this year really hurts QBs who do not run.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:06 PM   #5
Eagles Fan

BleedGreen710's Arena

OVR: 6

I have seen a pocket passer crack the top 5 during the season, but its really rare

its kinda becoming like that in real life though

troy smith, tim tebow, cam newton, RG3...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2013, 06:08 PM   #6
MVP

DorianDonP's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedGreen710
I have seen a pocket passer crack the top 5 during the season, but its really rare

its kinda like that in real life though

troy smith, tim tebow, cam newton, RG3...
Carlson Palmer. Sam Bradford. Matt Leinart. Jason White.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:15 PM   #7
Pro

Td1984's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianDonP
Carlson Palmer. Sam Bradford. Matt Leinart. Jason White.
All but Bradford pre-date Troy Smith winning the Heisman. It's becoming really rare to see a pocket passer win it.
MLB: Twins, Dodgers
NFL: Vikings
MLS: Minnesota United
Premier League: Manchester United
Old 08-07-2013, 06:21 PM   #8
MVP

DorianDonP's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Td1984
All but Bradford pre-date Troy Smith winning the Heisman. It's becoming really rare to see a pocket passer win it.
You can't say something is rare by taking a 4 year sample. Matt Barkley was top 6 in voting in 2011. Kellen Moore was top 4 in voting in 2010. There has been a pocket passer in contention for the award virtually every year. Dual threat heisman winners are def trending upwards, but it's not becoming "rare" for a pocket passer to win it. Not when nearly half of the past decades Heisman winners were pocket passers.

Last edited by DorianDonP; 08-07-2013 at 06:25 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »