Home

Question on Set Up Plays

This is a discussion on Question on Set Up Plays within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-30-2013, 07:08 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Question on Set Up Plays

When trying to setup a PA play by running the ball in the same formation can you use any running play to set up any PA or just the ones that go together? For example is the only way to set up a PA Power O to run the Power O play or will other run plays in same formation set it up too? I hope I'm making sense here.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-30-2013, 09:52 AM   #2
3-4 Defense

roll2tide's Arena

OVR: 13
Cool Re: Question on Set Up Plays

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwc0813
When trying to setup a PA play by running the ball in the same formation can you use any running play to set up any PA or just the ones that go together? For example is the only way to set up a PA Power O to run the Power O play or will other run plays in same formation set it up too? I hope I'm making sense here.
Yes, your making sense. If we're talking vs CPU then, no, you don't have to run from same formation/play. Truth is, there is no such thing as "setting up" PA vs the CPU. When you call a run play, the CPU knows that. When you call a pass play, the CPU knows that, too. I assume that when you call a PA the CPU interprets your play call as a run and reacts accordingly based on pre-programmed down & distance information.

In other words, if it's 3rd & 1 then the CPU would likely play the run aggressively so a PA would work if your QB has good a good PA rating and you block everyone. This should work whether you've run the ball once or 50 times in the game.

If it's 3rd and 20 the CPU isn't going to play the run nearly as aggressively so PA would have less of an effect.

Since the CPU doesn't "learn" your tendencies or react to what your having success with, running the ball doesn't effect your PA ability. The CPU calls every play just like it is it's own unique, specific situation and does not base it's play calling on what has happened so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
You're doing it wrong EA

Twitter roll2tide
Old 09-30-2013, 10:42 AM   #3
Rookie

Peacefrog's Arena

Re: Question on Set Up Plays

Quote:
Originally Posted by roll2tide
Yes, your making sense. If we're talking vs CPU then, no, you don't have to run from same formation/play. Truth is, there is no such thing as "setting up" PA vs the CPU. When you call a run play, the CPU knows that. When you call a pass play, the CPU knows that, too. I assume that when you call a PA the CPU interprets your play call as a run and reacts accordingly based on pre-programmed down & distance information.

In other words, if it's 3rd & 1 then the CPU would likely play the run aggressively so a PA would work if your QB has good a good PA rating and you block everyone. This should work whether you've run the ball once or 50 times in the game.

If it's 3rd and 20 the CPU isn't going to play the run nearly as aggressively so PA would have less of an effect.

Since the CPU doesn't "learn" your tendencies or react to what your having success with, running the ball doesn't effect your PA ability. The CPU calls every play just like it is it's own unique, specific situation and does not base it's play calling on what has happened so far.
I believe he's talking about the "Setup!" opportunities you get from runs and play-action passes tied to them.

I play heavy run with a dink-and-dunk pass game, so I generally don't get many "setup" plays. However, in a game yesterday in my Online Dynasty against the CPU, I busted out a 28 yard play on a triple option. A quarter later, I used the highlighted "setup" play-action pass play. They were in a 3-deep cover, and the middle safety bit HARD on the play-action, allowing me to complete a very uncharacteristic 65 yard pass for a TD (including YAC).

If you're not talking about the "Setup!" opportunities, I'd still disagree with you, to a degree. If you've knocked out 150 yards on the ground in the first half, the CPU will be more likely to start stacking more guys in the box and blitz more, especially if you're getting your runs out of the same formations. Don't get me wrong, it's not a guaranteed thing; the CPU still has ESP and will switch to a 7- or 8-man coverage if you audible. But it might be 15% effective, when usually it's only 10% effective otherwise.

TL;DR it works, but it generally won't make or break your games.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:51 AM   #4
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by roll2tide

QBs don't have a PA rating.

I've definitely had more success against the CPU when plays are setup than when they aren't.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Old 09-30-2013, 12:40 PM   #5
Rookie

I've always wondered if the "Setup!" plays work against Users like they do against the CPU. Or at all. Naturally, when I'm playing a user dynasty game, or an online game, I don't get a chance to test it out much.

I would think it works less against users... since the Setup is basically telling you that the CPU will bite, but they can never know what a user will call on any particular play. Or could it work the same, just with the CPU "biting" with the 10 players the defense user isn't controlling? Seems like that would be kind of cheap.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-02-2013, 12:34 AM   #6
Rookie

I've had success running counters once the cpu keys in on my stretch runs. The cpu does adapt allowing for setups that don't pop up in the playcall.

Once I was testing my sliders affect on cpu man coverage vs corner routes from the slot. I ran the same play over and over. They would keep SS blitzing and blast me before I got the pass off. I kept a TE and HB in to block and started moving the ball. They switched to a coverage that put a LB in a buzz and picked the corner route off. Point being: since the cpu learns, you can bait and switch.

Be cool.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »