Home

Why does every team run no huddle??

This is a discussion on Why does every team run no huddle?? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-23-2014, 01:57 AM   #1
MVP

DarthRambo's Arena

OVR: 20
Why does every team run no huddle??

I even edited every single coach set to "Normal" under the Cpu no huddle option if they were set to aggressive. And even on normal they no huddle the entire game as long as they get positive yards.

https://www.youtube.com/DarthRambo
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2014, 06:34 AM   #2
Air Raid

Dr Death's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: Why does every team run no huddle??

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSalsa
I even edited every single coach set to "Normal" under the Cpu no huddle option if they were set to aggressive. And even on normal they no huddle the entire game as long as they get positive yards.
Every team doesn't do it, you just need to know the teams that don't. Iowa, Penn State, Alabama and on and on don't run it. I try to schedule non-conference games against teams that don't run no-huddle, but sometimes you just can't help it. I like to play the best ranked teams non conference and sometimes, a no-huddle team is one of those teams.

What I would like to know is why my (and your) defense can get tired so quickly, yet the CPU offense never seems to get tired despite running at a breakneck pace all game. That part is frustrating.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:44 AM   #3
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Setting them to normal actually increases the pace of their no huddle attack. The only noticeable difference between normal and aggressive no huddle settings is that aggressive teams look to the side lines frequently like they do in real life. Because of that I usually set my user coach to aggressive (I run the no huddle all the time) so that my guys look to the side line for play calls which looks more realistic.

For CPU teams the practical result of these settings is that aggressive teams are actually slower than normal (because they're stopping to look to the sidelines) and give user coaches a LOT more time to pick their defensive play. What I do is the opposite of what you do. I set most no huddle teams to aggressive, which slows them down to a much more realistic pace. For ultra high tempo teams like Oregon I set them to normal which REALLY increases their pace of play.

As for how many teams run it, I've found that number to be pretty damned accurate. We've seen a lot of these "every CPU team runs the no huddle!!!" threads and I figure it must be by people that are fairly casual college fans, hardcore NFL fans, or hardcore college fans that only follow a few teams that happen to be in conferences without many no huddle teams. The fact of the matter is, however, that a TON of real life college teams run no huddle offenses. There's a reason why coaches like Nick Saban and Brett Bielema have been bitching for years about no huddle offenses and it's certainly not because they've run into a few teams that run no huddles. It's because the trend for the past few years (decade?) has been for more and more and more teams to run no huddles as it's an awesome way to keep 1 type of D personnel on the field, wear out the D, and dumb down the D's play calling and other various things.

I couldn't find a good article on how many teams run no huddles, but I found this one from 2012 about Arizona (RichieRod's 1st year there) which lists a bunch of teams (many AQ ones) that started running the no huddle for the 1st time in 2012 and a good quote by Jim Mora where he says how rare it is to see a team go into a huddle.

Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Death
What I would like to know is why my (and your) defense can get tired so quickly, yet the CPU offense never seems to get tired despite running at a breakneck pace all game. That part is frustrating.
It sounds like you need to increase the recharge skill for your DCs. This (and up tempo for OCs) helps a TON with fatigue when facing/running the no huddle. It's so effective that I only allow my OCs to get 2/3 for up tempo and I usually don't allow my DCs to get above 1/3.

I've faced no huddle coaches that have OCs with 3/3 and they never get tired. I've also faced ones with 0/3 and they wear themselves out so terribly that on medium to long drives they end up with CBs @ WR and TEs/FBs/DEs/DTs on the OL. I HATE it when they do this because it usually kills their drives.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Old 07-23-2014, 11:28 AM   #4
MVP

DarthRambo's Arena

I know most teams do it...I guess I thought switching it to normal would slow them down. Notre Dame no huddles all game and irl they huddle to call plays a lot more than the game potrays. There needs to be a better balance.

I don't mind them doing it but as a stat guy it throws my total plays numbers out that I want with my sliders. If I don't use no huddle with them the total plays are always too high.

Will they run no huddle on Conservative at all?? I've seen the QBs look to the sidelines before when I use it but not the cpu.

So what I guess I should do is set them to aggressive instead? I'll change one and play them and see if the qb does look to the coaches and calls play out to the rb and wrs.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:44 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3

I actually went into EVERY coach's file (Head Coach, Def. Coordinator, and Off. Coordinator) and turned all of them down to the lowest "No-Huddle' setting. Now I only see teams run the no-huddle when necessary at the end of games. This was a personal preference for me as I don't care for the no-huddle offense.

The reason that I changed all of the coaches is in the event that the coordinators land a head coaching job in later seasons on my CPU vs CPU franchise.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2014, 11:54 AM   #6
MVP

DarthRambo's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by yount19
I actually went into EVERY coach's file (Head Coach, Def. Coordinator, and Off. Coordinator) and turned all of them down to the lowest "No-Huddle' setting. Now I only see teams run the no-huddle when necessary at the end of games. This was a personal preference for me as I don't care for the no-huddle offense.

The reason that I changed all of the coaches is in the event that the coordinators land a head coaching job in later seasons on my CPU vs CPU franchise.
I changed them all to normal thinking that'd fix it lol. Going through now and doing what u did. Just a personal preference. I'd rather obtain realistic stats including total number of plays than have to watch no huddle all game.

I play in full coach mode too so that could be a big reason for my preference. Even though I know most teams do irl, they don't every single play! In the game they will go no huddle on a run on ZERO yards lol. Only way they don't is an incomplete pass or negative yards on a play. It's very unrealistic to me

Old 07-23-2014, 12:09 PM   #7
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
I don't mind them doing it but as a stat guy it throws my total plays numbers out that I want with my sliders. If I don't use no huddle with them the total plays are always too high.
How many plays per game are you shooting for? IRL, with so many no huddle teams the # of plays per game is pretty high. You've got no huddle monsters like Texas Tech, Baylor and Clemson averaging 80-90 offensive plays per game. Even slow paced teams like Alabama and Arkansas (Bielema) average 65 plays per game because their faced paced opponents give the slower teams more plays per game as well.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Old 07-23-2014, 12:16 PM   #8
MVP

DarthRambo's Arena

120-140 total plays with me rarely running no huddle

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »