Home

The CPU Tries Too Many Long Field Goals

This is a discussion on The CPU Tries Too Many Long Field Goals within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-14-2014, 11:57 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
The CPU Tries Too Many Long Field Goals

On Heisman difficult they always try field goals from 50+ yards that the typical college kicker can't make and no sane coach would attempt. Any way to stop them from doing that?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-15-2014, 12:11 AM   #2
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: The CPU Tries Too Many Long Field Goals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan Warrior
On Heisman difficult they always try field goals from 50+ yards that the typical college kicker can't make and no sane coach would attempt. Any way to stop them from doing that?
It's possible (and maybe even probable) that you can stop it, but I'll get to that in a sec.

What I do is when it's a really long one I call FG return. Then if my return guy catches it I'll run it out of bounds at the 20 yard line to simulate a punt with a touchback. The way I see it if my return guy is catching it then the kicker had no business attempting it in the first place and I'm not gonna take the great field position that comes with a missed uber long FG. I had FSU's kicker attempt and miss 56, 57 and 60 yarders in 1 game earlier today. I lost the game in OT 12-9 but I'm sure I would've won had I started those 3 drives on about the 45 yard line instead of the 20.

However, I'll bet that you can prevent it. This is a Heisman only problem and I'd bet dollars to donuts that if you paused the game immediately after the failed 3rd down conversion (before the play call screen comes up) and switched difficult to All American, that they wouldn't attempt the stupidly long FG. Then when the punt (or FGA if they're in range) is over you can switch it back to Heisman.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings

Last edited by jello1717; 12-15-2014 at 12:14 AM.
Old 12-15-2014, 01:42 AM   #3
Rookie

That's a great idea that I hadn't thought of. I'll have to give that a try.
Old 12-15-2014, 01:38 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
It's possible (and maybe even probable) that
However, I'll bet that you can prevent it. This is a Heisman only problem and I'd bet dollars to donuts that if you paused the game immediately after the failed 3rd down conversion (before the play call screen comes up) and switched difficult to All American, that they wouldn't attempt the stupidly long FG. Then when the punt (or FGA if they're in range) is over you can switch it back to Heisman.
Yes, I can definitely confirm this method works. I personally have used this method myself. I thought of this same theory a couple years ago and low and behold it worked as described above.

When I know they or out of range and beyond the 50 or so (or when I am not sure what the CPU will do, I do it anyway to be on the safe side) this method works great. Although it does get a bit tedious and kills the flow of the game for a few seconds, its a sure fix.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:13 PM   #5
Rookie

It works. Only challenge is being quick enough on the draw to do it in time, because you only have a few seconds between the end of the play and the play selection screen opening up.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-16-2014, 03:33 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan Warrior
It works. Only challenge is being quick enough on the draw to do it in time, because you only have a few seconds between the end of the play and the play selection screen opening up.
Yes I forgot to add that you do have to be quick. You probably have less than 3 secs minus any replay footage.

Another thing is remembering to do so. But after a few games of conditioning yourself to do so it will become routine.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:28 PM   #7
Pro

mattynokes's Arena

OVR: 16

I don't have NCAA 14, but on NCAA 12, here's my bypass for the crazy long field goals.

Whenever you suspect the CPU will attempt a ridiculous FG...
- Pause and switch teams
- Click to super sim, but cancel super sim
- This should automatically have a FG called, but you being in control of the CPU team. Wait for delay of game, offsides, or false start.
- Pick appropriate play. Punt for them or lock on the Center and do nothing if going for it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »