Home

Offensive schemes and tactics

This is a discussion on Offensive schemes and tactics within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-28-2018, 12:22 PM   #73
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Offensive schemes and tactics

My updated spread-I triple-option offense.

Pistol
Flexbone slot
Flexbone trips
Fullhouse
Strong
H twins
Slot
Slot flex wing
Wing offset
Wing trips
Y trips

Gun
Normal flex wing
Normal flex wing wk
Normal offset
Slot f wing
Split offset
Split slot
Split twins
Split y offset
Spread flex
Spread HB WK
Spread offset
Trio offset
Trips offset
Wing offset
Wing offset WK
Wing trips offset WK
Y trips offset
F twins over

Goalline
Twins over

I run every type of option (RO, dart RO, buck sweep RO, speed, shovel, triple out of 20/triple slot motion out of 10/11, QB slot) as well as basic zone schemes with a few pulling schemes (basically just the 01 dive bit; no RB power plays as of yet). Then also QB power/wrap/blast.

Passing is majority screens and play action, but also includes verts, deep attack, flood, stick, and cross plays. So I have a more balanced passing game than a regular flexbone, but that's the point of operating out of spread in some ways.

Last game, we ran the ball 49 times for 287 yards but didn't score on a run (except on a shovel pass from shovel option). Completed 13 of 23 passes for 215 yards and 4 scores. That's about the distribution I want every game.

Part of the utility of the pistol and gun sets having the same receiver set ups (slot wing, trips, etc) is for no-huddle, but I'm purposefully avoiding no huddle this year because my defense (87) is much better than my offense (79) and I want to win games. Behind my senior QB (87ovr, 82spd) are two juniors (86/86 and 81/78) a redshirt freshman (69/76) and a freshman I'm red-shirting (81/86). Until I get a truly dependable back again (my number one is 79 overall senior former-QB, and #2-4 are in the 73 overall range, which should mean as soon as next year I'll have quality depth, with proper development) I'm going to be QB-centric, but I'm okay what that.
Old 01-28-2018, 04:54 PM   #74
Rookie

Dr. Air Raid's Arena

Air Raid all the way. I do run a tiny bit of spread from time to time just to mix things up every once in a while. I'll usually end up throwing the ball about 85-95% of the time in the Air Raid. Basically going the Mike Leach direction.

Favorite Playbooks:
TTech
A&M
Kentucky
Auburn
Old 01-29-2018, 02:12 PM   #75
Pro

volwalker's Arena

OVR: 3

This is a great thread and I love discussions like this, especially when it comes to football schematics as I can talk about this stuff all day, everyday. Actually, I enjoy the philosophical side of football more than the details.

For those who follow my blog/YouTube channel at NCAA 06 Revival, you've seen me use many different types of offenses. From heavy option to pass happy systems.

That being said, I'm happiest when I am throwing the ball around the majority of the time. West Coast, Air Coryell, Fun N Gun, Run N Shoot, Air Raid, Veer N Shoot, you name it. Anytime I am reading defenses and attacking coverages, I get excited. I feel that running the ball hinges on your ability to use the controller where passing the ball requires you to think more and differently.

What I'm saying may not help as I am looking at offense from a more holistic level and not giving exact details, but the best advice I can give anyone when it comes to choosing an offense: pick one that you will have the most fun with.

Last edited by volwalker; 01-29-2018 at 02:19 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-01-2018, 08:37 PM   #76
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

Giving Pro-style a shot with a custom playbook. I have ace formations, I-form (normal, strong, and weak), pro set, shotgun, and some pistol (which I know isn't truly pro-style but it does give some extra time in the passing game).

A lot of running plays, some that play off each other (IE FB fake halfback toss type stuff) and a lot of misdirection. Passing is mainly west coast with a good amount of play action and shot plays. VERY little read option, no true option running plays.

It's been interesting so far. I've had some trouble adjusting but I have high hopes. My starting running back has gone over 100 yards each game with a solid YPC average. I've tossed a few more picks and had lower passing numbers than traditionally (usually go over 300, haven't in either game yet), but I'm liking the realism of it. I actually have to punt more often, which is realistic. Looking at the # of plays, I may need to add a minute to the quarter length for more realism.

Major Boise State fan
Old 02-01-2018, 11:17 PM   #77
Rookie

Toastandtoaster's Arena

I'm curious if there are any option style offensive playbooks, that are in a pro set? Like I-form/splitbacks? Never been a fan of -bone playbooks in NCAA 14 and was wondering if there were any I suppose pro style veer option playbooks.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:27 AM   #78
Pro

volwalker's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet19
Giving Pro-style a shot with a custom playbook. I have ace formations, I-form (normal, strong, and weak), pro set, shotgun, and some pistol (which I know isn't truly pro-style but it does give some extra time in the passing game).

A lot of running plays, some that play off each other (IE FB fake halfback toss type stuff) and a lot of misdirection. Passing is mainly west coast with a good amount of play action and shot plays. VERY little read option, no true option running plays.

It's been interesting so far. I've had some trouble adjusting but I have high hopes. My starting running back has gone over 100 yards each game with a solid YPC average. I've tossed a few more picks and had lower passing numbers than traditionally (usually go over 300, haven't in either game yet), but I'm liking the realism of it. I actually have to punt more often, which is realistic. Looking at the # of plays, I may need to add a minute to the quarter length for more realism.

Yeah "Pro Style" is a broad term nowadays as most NFL teams run a lot of "college plays" (RPOs, package plays, read option, etc.).

However, whenever I decide to create a pro style offense (other offenses fit this mold) I always follow the same holistic philosophy of a handful of plays ran out of many formations. I always start with 10 concepts as my base and work from there. Those 10 plays can consist of 5 runs and 5 passes, 3 runs and 7 passes, etc. What matters is that my core set of plays never change, only the formations do. When you have your core 10 and your playbook consists of 15 formations, the defense sees 150 plays when you only see 10.

A pro style offense is fun when you can make it look sophisticated yet simple for yourself.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:05 AM   #79
Rookie

One of my favorite things growing up about college football was regionally and philosophical differences between programs. My favorite has always been triple option style whether it be the Nebraska style I, Wing T, or Flexbone. I've always enjoyed running those offenses in the NCAA franchise but don't strictly stick to that.

Whenever I decide on a philosophy I will recruit towards that, so in cases of the option attack I restrict myself to linemen under 280 lbs along with recruiting restrictions based on my team's prestige and region. My current dynasty is a teambuilder where I am using a pistol based option attack, I'll run very few read options as unfortunately it's a little too easy on NCAA 14. I love the Full House look and will use that quite a bit, sprinkling in play action passes and attacking the flats with my backs.

West coast and pro style formations are another that I will build around, I've really tried all concepts out whether it be spread, air raid, ace and i-form based. All have their challenges and fun, if I have ideas in mind I will start a seperate dynasty and incorporate those. Along the way I will remove plays and formations, add others to try after each year. I try not to change the philosophy too much during the season to give a touch more realism of practice and incorporation.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:08 AM   #80
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by volwalker
Yeah "Pro Style" is a broad term nowadays as most NFL teams run a lot of "college plays" (RPOs, package plays, read option, etc.).

However, whenever I decide to create a pro style offense (other offenses fit this mold) I always follow the same holistic philosophy of a handful of plays ran out of many formations. I always start with 10 concepts as my base and work from there. Those 10 plays can consist of 5 runs and 5 passes, 3 runs and 7 passes, etc. What matters is that my core set of plays never change, only the formations do. When you have your core 10 and your playbook consists of 15 formations, the defense sees 150 plays when you only see 10.

A pro style offense is fun when you can make it look sophisticated yet simple for yourself.

I agree with you. My big thing was getting rid of most option plays as you rarely see those in the NFL, except for teams with mobile QB’s. Granted, those type of guys are becoming more common. I wanted the running game to be tougher, it’s too easy with the option run.

I also focused on a set of play action plays that are designs for downfield shots. I rarely ran play action the last few seasons (wasn’t using custom playbooks, used whatever my OC came with to add challenge).

Otherwise I wanted NFL type formations. Traditional I form, single back stuff etc. I even threw in pro-set for the first time ever.

I’m liking it. It makes my players look more NFL ready in game, so it adds realism. There’s not as many gadget plays or trickery. I’m going to keep messing with it. I use the shotgun a lot. I may wind up eliminating the pistol from it and pick some other formations down the road

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Major Boise State fan

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »