Home

Revivifying USER Field Goal Kicking

This is a discussion on Revivifying USER Field Goal Kicking within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-19-2018, 06:12 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
Revivifying USER Field Goal Kicking

Because if anyone should know anything about shanking the hell out of a kick, it's a Bama fan, right?

For the last few days, I've been working on a way to give new life to the kicking game for the USER, and I think I may have found it. At least a new option. This may be hard to explain with words, so I may have to create an image at some point, but I'll try to be concise.

At this point, I think all of us make 95+% of our field goals, if not 100%, to the point where many of us have just chosen to sim. This is because the "cone" that you aim with (the one with three lines, left, right, and middle) is too forgiving. You don't have to hit dead center to make your kicks. When does it become unforgiving? When you miss, outside of the cone. I noticed how the "aiming dial" is much more sensitive outside of the cone than it is inside it, in terms of the direction the kick will take. So, I've designed this system which requires kicking outside of the cone (most of the time) to make your field goals.

Pros: The challenge of field goals & extra points increases drastically. That hook/slice that kickers have is brought back into the game. Misses will occur. Accuracy is all on you. When's the last time you weren't sure about a game winner?

Cons: Kicker accuracy rating is rendered meaningless (but unless you sim, wasn't it already meaningless?).

What You Do: Change your kicker's accuracy rating to 53 (every year). 53 is the minimum for kicking straight every time in any weather. At 52, it just goes random in rainy weather, even if you hit it perfectly. This is crucial since the idea is built around missing outside of the aiming cone. At anything higher than 53, you will miss too accurately. Sometimes, usually at short to mid-range, you end up kicking within the cone due to the angle. The exact spots will change depending on your kicker's power, but I just consider this the kicker's "sweet spot". And, in real life, most kickers struggle the most the further back they go. So, this also seems like a realistic quality.

Slider for USER FG Power needs to go to 100. The low accuracy takes distance off of the kicks. This actually works out IMO, as it puts kickers with a 99 power attribute at about a 55-56 yard max range in this system. USER FG Accuracy needs to be set to 30.

Now, for the actual kicking. Ignore the yellow arrow entirely. It is not relevant in this system. If the ball is spotted outside of the uprights, you align either the left or right line of the aiming cone (whichever makes sense, given the direction of the kick) with the line at the very top of the power meter(pic below). If you were to kick it normally from here, you would miss wide every time. So, this now requires you to land your "aiming line" outside of the aiming cone in the proper direction for getting the hook/slice you need to make the kick. If the ball is spotted inside the uprights, you align the top line of the power meter exactly halfway between the center line of the aiming cone and either the left or right line, depending on the direction needed(pic below). Practice is recommended, and I actually found kicking in practice a lot of fun. Imagine that...

Less power = more control: For extra points and short/mid-range, less power on the power meter produces less hook on the kicks. I've never been a kicker, but I imagine that this might also be realistic since most kickers become less accurate the further back you go

So, that's it. If you managed to make it through that read and have any questions, be sure to ask. This has made kicking very fun, risky, and uncertain. The way it should be.

https://ibb.co/nAfRby - Ball spotted outside the uprights.

https://ibb.co/j7tq3d - Ball spotted inside the uprights.

Last edited by Tuscaloosa; 08-11-2018 at 02:30 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-19-2018, 08:37 PM   #2
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

Re: Revivifying USER Field Goal Kicking

I think I've got the gist. Simplfied a bit:

-set accuracy for the kicker to 45
-set slider pwr to 100
-set slider acc to 0
-Do not use the arrow to aim. attempt to aim the kick simply with the flick of the joystick either left or right.

So, for example: I'm on the left hash, which is wider than the goalpost. Without adjusting the aim arrow, and doing a "perfectly accurate" kick, it would go straight and miss wide left.

Using this system, I do NOT use the left stick to aim. I only use the right stick. I pull back for power, and flick up. As I flick up, I attempt to flick to the right. Ideally, I am flicking far enough right that the kick will hook into the uprights.

Is that the idea?

Major Boise State fan
Old 07-19-2018, 09:35 PM   #3
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet19
I think I've got the gist. Simplfied a bit:

-set accuracy for the kicker to 45
-set slider pwr to 100
-set slider acc to 0
-Do not use the arrow to aim. attempt to aim the kick simply with the flick of the joystick either left or right.

So, for example: I'm on the left hash, which is wider than the goalpost. Without adjusting the aim arrow, and doing a "perfectly accurate" kick, it would go straight and miss wide left.

Using this system, I do NOT use the left stick to aim. I only use the right stick. I pull back for power, and flick up. As I flick up, I attempt to flick to the right. Ideally, I am flicking far enough right that the kick will hook into the uprights.

Is that the idea?
No, not quite. I tried what you're describing a long time ago, and it was still way too easy. I'm not saying you don't move the yellow arrow, I'm just saying you ignore its position. Read my post again closely and you'll see what I mean. You actually position the yellow arrow in a way that you are going to miss wide to the other side of the goal posts. It's all done with the aiming cone though. That's the important thing. The arrow is irrelevant. That's why I said to ignore it's position, but you do move it, essentially into a wide left/right position. You don't leave it straight and just use the right stick; there's more to it than that.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:37 PM   #4
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscaloosa
No, not quite. I tried what you're describing a long time ago, and it was still way too easy. I'm not saying you don't move the yellow arrow, I'm just saying you ignore its position. Read my post again closely and you'll see what I mean. You actually position the yellow arrow in a way that you are going to miss wide to the other side of the goal posts. It's all done with the aiming cone though. That's the important thing. The arrow is irrelevant. That's why I said to ignore it's position, but you do move it, essentially into a wide left/right position. You don't leave it straight and just use the right stick; there's more to it than that.
Oh ok, I think I've got it now lol. I'll give it a shot in practice mode maybe tomorrow.

Major Boise State fan
Old 07-19-2018, 09:44 PM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet19
Oh ok, I think I've got it now lol. I'll give it a shot in practice mode maybe tomorrow.
Yeah, I'd love to hear what you think. Once I got everything just right, I spent like 45 minutes in practice, just kicking, having a blast. I sat down planning to spend 15 minutes just sort of learning my kickers spots on the dial before a game, and before I knew it time had flown by.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-20-2018, 06:29 AM   #6
Rookie

falcor1234's Arena

could you post a video or some screen shots? I think I understand what youre saying but im not entirely sure. thanks.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:56 AM   #7
Rookie

For instance, say you are on the left hash. After you've lined up for the FG, the arrow is pointing to the left of the left goal post. What do you do with the arrow?
A) Move the arrow further to the left
B) Leave the arrow where it is
C) Move the arrow so that it aims to the right of the right goalpost
D) something else?

Now say you are exactly in between the hashes. Do you
E) Move the arrow so that it points outside either of the goalposts (your choice)
F) Leave the arrow where it is
G) something else?
Old 07-20-2018, 12:20 PM   #8
MVP

young22's Arena

I'm confused on this

Sent from my SM-A520W using Operation Sports mobile app

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »