Home

When to Accept “The” Job

This is a discussion on When to Accept “The” Job within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-13-2019, 01:31 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
When to Accept “The” Job

The one dream school finally has a job opening as a coordinator, or better yet, a head coach. The past few seasons you’ve been building a strong resume at a (likely) smaller school and finally are getting recognized by some bigger name teams.

When coaching carousel comes around, you have to contemplate signing another extension, sticking with your original contract, or accept a position at a new school.

The decision is difficult: are you ready to say goodbye to your first job? Have you accomplished enough at your current school? What about the recruiting class you just brought in? Or that one big time recruit you snagged two years ago, but can’t finish his college career as his coach?

The decision is always difficult on when to take the leap. Personally, I am in season 3 of my dynasty at New Mexico as their OC. Through my first two years, I have been at the top in the NCAA for PPG and YPG. Just this season (I am currently 7-1 and #24) I signed my first 4-star recruit. In fact, in the preseason, the No. 1 player in the country had me 2nd on his list and committed to me recently.

I am planning on sticking with New Mexico for a couple more years to get my big time QB recruit drafted and into the NFL as my first draft pick. But what if a dream job opens up before then.

What are your guys’ stories about debating between sticking w/ your current job or making the leap to a new team? Also, if you have already moved onto a new team, when did you do it in your dynasty? Was it a good choice? Thanks!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2019, 09:24 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: When to Accept “The” Job

I have found that when your target / dream job is offered to you, it is best that you take it unless you are willing to accept never getting the job. Perhaps others have had different experiences, but I have rarely had a second chance to get "my" job. The handful of times it happened it took about 25 years to have another chance, which is halfway through the dynasty.

That said, if you are still an OC at UNM and your dream job is HC of Nebraska (based on your moniker), you probably won't get that job offered to you. Your current head coach is more likely to get the offer while you get promoted to HC at UNM (or another school).
Old 08-13-2019, 10:31 AM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrane
I have found that when your target / dream job is offered to you, it is best that you take it unless you are willing to accept never getting the job. Perhaps others have had different experiences, but I have rarely had a second chance to get "my" job. The handful of times it happened it took about 25 years to have another chance, which is halfway through the dynasty.

That said, if you are still an OC at UNM and your dream job is HC of Nebraska (based on your moniker), you probably won't get that job offered to you. Your current head coach is more likely to get the offer while you get promoted to HC at UNM (or another school).
My kind of ideal path is as follows:
UNM OC > UNM HC > Higher Ranked Group of 5 OC > Low Power 5 OC > Promote to HC > Nebraska OC > Nebraska HC.

I figure an average of 5 years at each stop would be ideal (7 job titles x 5 years = 35 years). That gives me enough time for 1.5 classes of freshman-seniors to play w/ my recruits. Being the HC at UNM, too, would give me 10 years at the school. Hopefully I can lock down a BCS win or two by then.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:05 AM   #4
Rookie

OBinKC's Arena

Although my ideal path would be from Group of 5 OC —> Power 5 OC —> Group of 5 HC —> Lower tier Power 5 (Kansas, e.g.) HC —> Dream job HC, I just never have the patience for it. I go from Group of 5 OC to Head Coach then look for Power 5 Head Coaching jobs as soon as possible. But I like to build up a previously unsuccessful team like Kansas into a powerhouse until the dream job opens up.

As an aside, I’ve never seen an instance where they promote you from OC or even consider you for the HC role of your same team if the previous HC leaves. I would really like to climb the ranks that way.

Last edited by OBinKC; 08-13-2019 at 12:49 PM.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:13 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 2

If I'm starting as an OC, I have no qualms hopping around until HC. My last Dynasty timeline went:

OC Georgia State 2-years -> OC FIU 1-year-> OC Georgia Tech 1-year -> OC Alabama 2-years -> HC WKU 1-year -> HC Arizona 2-years -> HC Tennessee 3-years+

In hindsight, I regret leaving WKU for Arizona after 1 year. It didn't feel right that, at one point, "my players" that I recruited were at 3 different schools. I turned into a Willie Taggert :/ not a great look

When I do my next dynasty with this seasons rosters, I'm likely going to make a self imposed house rule that I have stay at my 1st HC gig for 10-years. Likely going to skip taking a group of 5 job, and will instead opt to pick a jobber power 5 program like Illinois, Vandy etc. Once I've hit 10-years at one of those programs, then I'll consider myself free to take a marquee job.

Last edited by DrPhibes; 08-13-2019 at 08:19 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2019, 09:07 AM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhibes
If I'm starting as an OC, I have no qualms hopping around until HC. My last Dynasty timeline went:

OC Georgia State 2-years -> OC FIU 1-year-> OC Georgia Tech 1-year -> OC Alabama 2-years -> HC WKU 1-year -> HC Arizona 2-years -> HC Tennessee 3-years+

In hindsight, I regret leaving WKU for Arizona after 1 year. It didn't feel right that, at one point, "my players" that I recruited were at 3 different schools. I turned into a Willie Taggert :/ not a great look

When I do my next dynasty with this seasons rosters, I'm likely going to make a self imposed house rule that I have stay at my 1st HC gig for 10-years. Likely going to skip taking a group of 5 job, and will instead opt to pick a jobber power 5 program like Illinois, Vandy etc. Once I've hit 10-years at one of those programs, then I'll consider myself free to take a marquee job.

Play how you'd like, but I think 10 years at your first HC gig is overcompensating from your experience. Two of the top coaches in college football are (were?) Nick Saban and Urban Meyer. (Not including Dabo Swinney since his first OC gig was at Clemson and promoted to HC)

Saban:

1990 Toledo HC (1st HC job).
1991--1994 Cleveland Browns DC
1995--1999 Michigan State HC

Meyer:
2001--2002 Bowling Green HC (1st HC job)

2003--2004 Utah HC (Utah was in the MWC)
2005--2010 Florida HC

While we can't jump to the NFL, we can either stay put or take another G5 HC gig in a league that is generally more respected than the Sun Belt or MAC. Saban went from MAC to B1G in 5 years, Meyer went from MAC to SEC in 4.

Dino Babers is beginning to develop the reputation similar to these two.
2012--2013 Eastern Illinois (1st HC job)
2014--2015 Bowling Green
2016--Present Syracuse.

Like Meyer, he did two years at two non-P5 schools before taking his first gig.

Tom Herman appears to be turning Texas around. He spent two years at this first HC job at Houston before taking the Texas job.

I agree with you that one year at your first HC gig is unsatisfactory because you never get to play the players you recruited. But a lot of your top coaches only spend two years at their first HC job.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:12 PM   #7
Rookie

You hit upon a lot more themes than just getting "the Job," but I would say if it's open to you and the team have been playing well, take that job as soon as it's offered, since you don't know if and when it'll be available. I'm 40 years into my current dynasty and there are several schools whose head coach has been there over 2 decades--Notre Dame, Clemson, Virginia Tech, and Arkansas to name a few. You may have to wait a while to get a position.

One word of warning. Getting "the Job" may change the way you approach your dynasty. I took the HC position at Alabama once and never wanted to lose a game or limit myself in recruiting. I was 14-0 every year for over a decade. Since then, I've shied away from taking that job because of the emotional connection.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »