Home

I'm getting old and my fingers are slow. Is Coach mode the answer?

This is a discussion on I'm getting old and my fingers are slow. Is Coach mode the answer? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-26-2006, 08:23 PM   #1
Rookie

mierk's Arena

OVR: 4
I'm getting old and my fingers are slow. Is Coach mode the answer?

So between a lack of funds and a lack of time over the last several years, it's been awhile since I've been able to devote serious time to video games. I've gotten the last 3 versions of NCAA at some point or another and logged some time on them, but not nearly as much as I did back in my heyday in high school and college.

Now that I've got a family, the little extra time I had to practice has dwindled even more. I'm regularly getting my butt kicked on even the lower settings (let's put it this way -- other people concerns about Heisman and All American modes are about as relevant to me as a fish's problems with riding a bicycle.) But getting the chance to play enough to improve my game so that I can be competetive on the higher levels just isn't going to happen -- I'll get tired of being roadkill long before I get good, and I do have a family that I enjoy spending time with too.

I still love getting the chance to build ASU into a powerhouse and the challenge of recruiting and managing the program. Is coach mode the way to go? I've seen a few people mention it and it seems like it could be fun and still offer a challenge. I'd appreciate any feedback or ideas people have.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2006, 11:03 PM   #2
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: I'm getting old and my fingers are slow. Is Coach mode the answer?

I am old too and usually have to have easier settings than most of the people on this board. But it doesn't bother me too much if my video game skills are not top notch. I would recommend just lowering the settings until you find the right challenge. Good luck either way though.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:23 PM   #3
Rookie

aber's Arena

OVR: 1

lol, I thought I was the only one w/ this problem. I am 31 years old, married nearly 11 years w/ an 8 yr old daughter & another one the way...time for NCAA (or any other games) is difficult, epsecially now that I share my PS2 w/ my 8 yr old for the last several yearsd (She has 70+ PS2 games herself...). I am stuck on varsity, however, and AA kicks my *** (of course, I also use the Fresno State Bulldogs, who have no QB rated higher than 78, and are mediocre at best at nearly every position), but that never seemed to matter in years past.

What I typically do is play my 1st year of dynasty on varsity, and then play the rest on AA. That way I can stay good enough to recruit well, so that I can obtain higher rated players that allow me to play on AA w/ my skill level.

Getting old sucks, lol. I remember OWNING folks at this game (Madden, too)back in the old days, but now these kids would roll me, lol. Depressing
NBA: Golden State Warriors
NHL: San Jose Sharks
Old 07-27-2006, 06:43 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by aber
lol, I thought I was the only one w/ this problem. I am 31 years old, married nearly 11 years w/ an 8 yr old daughter & another one the way...time for NCAA (or any other games) is difficult, epsecially now that I share my PS2 w/ my 8 yr old for the last several yearsd (She has 70+ PS2 games herself...). I am stuck on varsity, however, and AA kicks my *** (of course, I also use the Fresno State Bulldogs, who have no QB rated higher than 78, and are mediocre at best at nearly every position), but that never seemed to matter in years past.

What I typically do is play my 1st year of dynasty on varsity, and then play the rest on AA. That way I can stay good enough to recruit well, so that I can obtain higher rated players that allow me to play on AA w/ my skill level.

Getting old sucks, lol. I remember OWNING folks at this game (Madden, too)back in the old days, but now these kids would roll me, lol. Depressing
Bro - you ONLY 31! I thought you were gonna say you were 51! LOL! You still got plenety of "good years" left in the old gaming thumbs!
Old 07-27-2006, 09:12 AM   #5
MVP

cable guy's Arena

OVR: 12

Practice, practice, practice.

I am 35 years old, 3 kids, and whenever I get a chance to play, I do. Or else I'd be in the same boat. I enjoy it too much.

If you don't have the time, you'll just have to play on the lower settings til you get the hang of it.

Try to make time for yourself if at all possible, though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2006, 09:52 AM   #6
Rookie

Tman95's Arena

OVR: 2

I too can join 'skid row' for elderly gamers...LOL. I'm 41 and still love to compete. I have younger buddies that spend hours on end on Xbox Live. I used to have that same passion back in the day, only comes in spurts now. Us 'Old Schoolers' should stick together. My gamertag is 'Tman95'.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:52 PM   #7
Rookie

mierk's Arena

OVR: 4

Heh, glad to see I'm not the only one facing this issue. I wouldn't trade my family for the world, but there are times when I get awfully jealous of my 11 year old stepson throwing a tantrum because he's getting kicked off the computer after "only" logging 6 hours on his games! I guess I will just need to try and play with settings and sliders to find something that gives me a reasonable challenge without either stomping me all day long or allowing me to pull a "Tecmo Bo" on the computer.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:58 PM   #8
Rookie

binhamin's Arena

OVR: 2

You guys are making me feel bad.

I'm 31, married for 8 years in a few weeks, and have a 7 year old daughter who also plays video games. All I do it wait til the wife and kid go to bed and I play then. Sometimes, my wife and daughter will sit there ans watch me play.

The only problem I have is that I don't have enough time to play all of the games that I play. A game of 07 online takes a bit over an hour, and I also play FFXI Online, and that's easily a 2-3 hour drain.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »